GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys its been a while and I'm sure all you who have been fallowing the GL1800 turbo threads have wandered were I went as there has been little to no up dates most of all last year,
as of today I'm over 20,00 miles and no troubles, I have been trying to get this thing on the dyno but so far cant find one that works, I was on one just yesterday but my bike wound it up just like it was free wheeling on the double stand, the pore guy said he cant tune my bike on his dyno because we need one that uses EDDY current or something, the problem was the bike (even in fifth gear) would run into red line in just seconds not allowing us any way to put enough load on the engine so we only pulled 2 or 3 psi before it hit the rev limiter, so I'm on the hunt to get this done in the next few weeks

. . Here's a picture of most of the gl1800 turbo kit

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
You gonna run a stock bike on the same dyno to get a good comparo between the two?

DLare

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Was this a dyno-jet 250?
Factory Pro is the only one I know that uses Eddy Current Dynos.
Take a ride down to the SF Bay Area and I'll get you hooked up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dyno operator

I don't see why the dyno operator couldn't dyno your bike. AMI (American Motorcycle Institute) in Daytona used to hold a horsepower shootout each year at Bike Week and their eddy current dyno could handle up to 500 hp. The 1991 winner made 221 hp on a non-eddy current dyno and my guess is that your wing will not be making that much, but good luck.

S

·
0 Posts
HOLY CUPPOLA !! Yer still alive , BW , haven't seen you forever !

Nice to see your still kicking .:thumbup:

Glad to hear it's still going strong for ya! Boy your just going to keep us waiting for those numbers arent you?:popcorn:

Patrick

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see why the dyno operator couldn't dyno your bike. AMI (American Motorcycle Institute) in Daytona used to hold a horsepower shootout each year at Bike Week and their eddy current dyno could handle up to 500 hp. The 1991 winner made 221 hp on a non-eddy current dyno and my guess is that your wing will not be making that much, but good luck.

Hey guys good to hear from you all and thanks for your comments, Yup I'm still alive and having a great time with this turbo, its a real sleeper and that in its self has been a lot of fun, I have been so busy with the car I haven't had much time for the bike, and on that note we have now got third party verification on our mileage, its off the charts so if you have time check out my web site, www.futurevehicletechnologies.com
I'm still having trouble understanding how this dyno thing works, it doesn't make sense to be but what do I know,:shrug: this guy tells me he has tested bikes up to 500 hp on his dyno but my bike runs out of rpm to fast cause it has so much torque and we can't adjust the load on the dyno, I still don't get it, any way I found one yesterday so now all I got to do is get the appointment and the guy to do the tuning lined up, hopefully this week

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You gonna run a stock bike on the same dyno to get a good comparo between the two?

DLare

DLare
I sure would like too, but to line that up just might be to difficult for this time around, but I'm sure we can find a print out from some one who has run there bike on a dyno for a comparison

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I ran mine on a Dynojet 250 in Fremont, Ca. with about 1.5K on the odometer.
It got 108 Lbs Torque
100.4 HP. roughly.
If you want the print out, I can search for it. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Ask the dyno operator but you should know that an eddy current dyno will read 10-15% lower than an inertia dyno (greater difference with greater HP numbers). When you get your eddy current dyno HP numbers add 10-15% for comparison to a more common inertia dyno and comparison to Nedro's numbers.

Before the engine work was done on my GSXR it made 151.2 RWHP on an inertia dyno and 129.9 on an eddy current dyno (16.39% difference). Same bike same HP just different ways of measuring it. FYI after the motor work it has made 172+ HP on an inertia dyno.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ask the dyno operator but you should know that an eddy current dyno will read 10-15% lower than an inertia dyno (greater difference with greater HP numbers). When you get your eddy current dyno HP numbers add 10-15% for comparison to a more common inertia dyno and comparison to Nedro's numbers.

Before the engine work was done on my GSXR it made 151.2 RWHP on an inertia dyno and 129.9 on an eddy current dyno (16.39% difference). Same bike same HP just different ways of measuring it. FYI after the motor work it has made 172+ HP on an inertia dyno.
Wayne
Thanks for this very important info, I have never heard of this before, that can explain the reasons for different readings from different shops, its good info to have and definitely going to come in handy, thanks again

·
Registered
246 Posts

That's why it would be nice for someone close to "donate" their stock bike for the comparison run vs the TurboBike.

Anyone?

DLare

1 - 20 of 52 Posts