GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey guys its been a while and I'm sure all you who have been fallowing the GL1800 turbo threads have wandered were I went as there has been little to no up dates most of all last year,
as of today I'm over 20,00 miles and no troubles, I have been trying to get this thing on the dyno but so far cant find one that works, I was on one just yesterday but my bike wound it up just like it was free wheeling on the double stand, the pore guy said he cant tune my bike on his dyno because we need one that uses EDDY current or something, the problem was the bike (even in fifth gear) would run into red line in just seconds not allowing us any way to put enough load on the engine so we only pulled 2 or 3 psi before it hit the rev limiter, so I'm on the hunt to get this done in the next few weeks

. . Here's a picture of most of the gl1800 turbo kit
Find a "Mustang" dyno. I understand they can vary the load on the dyno wheel and it's not just a weighted drum that you accelerate thus showing max HP and torque.

I installed fuel injection system on a 1980 Corvette and the place that did the final tuning used a Mustang dyno to simulate driving conditions and not just tuning for max RPM. They were able to dial in idle, off idle, mid / part throttle, full throttle and all the transitions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Glad to hear all is well. What happen to turbowing2, did he get up and running?

Cheers!
Turbowing2 is still patiently waiting for me to get this thing dynoed, he has been very busy of late and not on the comp as much these days,
also I have access to a mustang dyno but with the 40" drums it can only simulate as low as a 2,200 lbs vehicle so it wont work, I understand there are other versions, I do have another dyno available to me but my tuner guy is so dam busy most of the time that we cant seem to find time at the same time, still working on it

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Turbowing2 is still patiently waiting for me to get this thing dynoed, he has been very busy of late and not on the comp as much these days,
also I have access to a mustang dyno but with the 40" drums it can only simulate as low as a 2,200 lbs vehicle so it wont work, I understand there are other versions, I do have another dyno available to me but my tuner guy is so dam busy most of the time that we cant seem to find time at the same time, still working on it

I have built 100's of turbo motorcycles in my 40+ years
of wrenching and building motorcycles. I've built a bunch
of turbo and blown Wings as well.

I love the clean job you've done with the turbo kit"

Very nice!

I have a question about how the Wing runs though
because I know the farther the turbo is from the
intake the more turbo lag you get! So how is the lag
with this kit??

2nd question, whats the gas mileage?? every bike I've
built gained a bunch MPG's..

3rd question, how much is the kit???

Thanx
Chuck...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm waiting to see how it fares out on a dyno pull.......methinks it'll make around 150 RWHP.......and do keep us posted!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Very nice!

with this kit??

3rd question, how much is the kit???

Thanx
Chuck...

Very nice! Thanks Chuck

with this kit?? Yes there is some lag as can be expected but that is what makes it a perfect

kit for the 1800, if you jump on it right out of the hole it will run out of RPM in the first three gears before
seeing more then 3 or 4 psi, but if your already at 3000 or 3500 rpm it will shoot up to 8 psi fairly quick
which I think makes it more reliable and prevents brakeage of parts, it's actually a good set up for a
reliable touring bike like the wing

built gained a bunch MPG's.. I have seen as much as 52 mpg US, but that was on a rather mild ride,, I hate riding in parades so I usually run ahead of the pack and seldom think of the mileage, it's to much fun ;)

3rd question, how much is the kit??? the cost of this kit is dear, there is a number of C&C parts and lots labour in making this kit, by the time all is said and done I will have almost 8G's into each kit. then there's the installation

cheers
George

Thanx
Chuck...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Thanx
Chuck...

Chuck I did another mileage check for you, Last week end I went on a ride, about 450 miles, I watched the miles and fuel closely, here's how it went, riding thru the BC mountains at around 65-75 mph most of the time, With several high speed shots along the way to make things interesting, I managed an average of 43 mpg US, I run Chevron 94 octane, always have since the bike was new, I tried regular and didn't like how the bike ran, I tried gas with methanol additives and didn't like that either, Even before the turbo installation I found Chevron 94 made the bike smoother and stronger so I don't mind the cost deferens, I found Esso to be one of the worst, Before the turbo Esso made the bike ping and this is there high octane!, Shell high octane is my second choice with Petro-Can my third choice, I usually hold out for Chevron if at all possible, Even all the guys I ride with on there older wings all prefer to run Chevron high octane, When I ride in the US I can only get Chevron 92 octane but it works just fine.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Chuck I did another mileage check for you, Last week end I went on a ride, about 450 miles, I watched the miles and fuel closely, here's how it went, riding thru the BC mountains at around 65-75 mph most of the time, With several high speed shots along the way to make things interesting, I managed an average of 43 mpg US, I run Chevron 94 octane, always have since the bike was new, I tried regular and didn't like how the bike ran, I tried gas with methanol additives and didn't like that either, Even before the turbo installation I found Chevron 94 made the bike smoother and stronger so I don't mind the cost deferens, I found Esso to be one of the worst, Before the turbo Esso made the bike ping and this is there high octane!, Shell high octane is my second choice with Petro-Can my third choice, I usually hold out for Chevron if at all possible, Even all the guys I ride with on there older wings all prefer to run Chevron high octane, When I ride in the US I can only get Chevron 92 octane but it works just fine.

Thanks for the MPG check. From my experience with
building turbo bikes (without inter coolers) you need
to run high test gas in them. (unless) you install a water
injection system on them. I've done this on many bikes
and the MPG go way up as well, sometimes as much as
15 MPG more with water injection..

Water injection might be worth looking into on your
Wing.

Thanks again.
Chuck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very cool thread. I'll be watching this one with interest. Thanks Larry Price.

I'm sure you're looking at all options, just curious about the intercooler and trying to incorporate it. Probably no room in front of the radiators and it would be strange looking outside of the bodywork. Great reply with rear mounting and turbo lag.
Kinda like an STS turbo. What type of exhaust sound do you get out of the back? STS sounds like a jet engine since it's so close to the outlet and wondering how your setup sounds. Also curious as to how you remapped the fuel curves or if you had to put in larger injectors. Lots of questions but I better make sure I read all your posts first.

Thanks,
Wayne

21 - 40 of 52 Posts