GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 53 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Checking status. Sent you an email mentioning a twin turbo system for my GTO. Just found out today they are using Chinese made turbos and exhaust manifolds. Manifolds might be able to handle the heat but the turbos have been lasting ...not very long. 3000 miles was mentioned in one post and now the company says they will no longer support those who bought their system or muscle type cars. Sorry to tweak this to cars again but wondering what turbo you're using on these. If they're Chinese, I'll pass. But anyway, good luck on getting this set up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If you don't find anyone by September I'll do it when I get home.I'm just across the border.
Hey Jeff if your offer is still open I would love to hear from you, I have been so dang busy all summer and had no time to dig into the dyno for my bike I thought I would just wait till you got back, My wing is still running strong but I know it needs to be dyno tuned and all summer I ran the poor thing ragged, I heard a little detonation on hot days so I back off just a bit but still running as strong as the day it first hit the street, you can reach me at [email protected]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Checking status. Sent you an email mentioning a twin turbo system for my GTO. Just found out today they are using Chinese made turbos and exhaust manifolds. Manifolds might be able to handle the heat but the turbos have been lasting ...not very long. 3000 miles was mentioned in one post and now the company says they will no longer support those who bought their system or muscle type cars. Sorry to tweak this to cars again but wondering what turbo you're using on these. If they're Chinese, I'll pass. But anyway, good luck on getting this set up.
I'm using a Garrett ball baring turbo and I haven't looked at it once since I built the kit, so far every thing is working so well I don't give it a second thought to hit the road for a 1,200 mile week end trip, no leaks any were

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Very cool thread. I'll be watching this one with interest. Thanks Larry Price.

I'm sure you're looking at all options, just curious about the intercooler and trying to incorporate it. Probably no room in front of the radiators and it would be strange looking outside of the bodywork. Great reply with rear mounting and turbo lag.
Kinda like an STS turbo. What type of exhaust sound do you get out of the back? STS sounds like a jet engine since it's so close to the outlet and wondering how your setup sounds. Also curious as to how you remapped the fuel curves or if you had to put in larger injectors. Lots of questions but I better make sure I read all your posts first.

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne thanks for your comments, At first I did try to incorporate a liquid cooled intercooler but just no room, I did discover the farther you have to push the compressed air the cooler it is by the time it gets to the motor, there is a kit sold for the Corvette and some other cars that mount in the back of the car behind the diff, these kits actually don't need intercoolers.
the exhaust sounds like a well tuned sports car with all six cylinders coming out of a single pipe but when the boost starts to build you can definitely hear it. I have been told it sounds like a Lear jet as I pass.I added an AEM unit that allows me to reset timing and fuel, I'm using stock injectors and stock fuel pump

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for posting and listing all the good info. A Garrett ball bearing turbo would be a great setup and less chance of coking up. Hope you're able to get dyno tuned soon as I'm curious on #'s but also how much it has to be retarded under boost. Four or 5 lbs of boost probably won't require lower compression but hope meth injection isn't required. It would do the trick but just adds more weight and complexity to the system.

Won't be home for a long time to come and I don't have an 1800 just yet so time will tell. Thought about doing this to my 1500 but pressurizing carbs is a bit more intense than FI. Sounds like you've been pretty swapped with work and projects. Have a great time and good luck once things settle down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks for posting and listing all the good info. A Garrett ball bearing turbo would be a great setup and less chance of coking up. Hope you're able to get dyno tuned soon as I'm curious on #'s but also how much it has to be retarded under boost. Four or 5 lbs of boost probably won't require lower compression but hope meth injection isn't required. It would do the trick but just adds more weight and complexity to the system. quote]

with the stock compression and pushing 7 psi we calculated that about 5 degrees of retard would do the trick and as much as 40% more fuel, with this we should be good to go without adding water or meth injection,

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's a pretty large turbo. At "normal" average boost (whatever that runs) do the intake air temps get high w/o an intercooler?
Lot of plumbing work there.

41 - 53 of 52 Posts