GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that stopped and got fuel.Started to leave and his bike went about 20 feet and went dead.Now it will turn over but won't start. We noticed his reverse light blinking.It will not lock into reverse and will not start.
Any one seen this problem?

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
One solution might be to tighten the switch connector under the right side cover where you add oil. Gently tighten. A blinking reverse is likely caused by this being loose.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
Sorry, it's not going to be that reverse switch if the motor is cranking. Tell him to put down the sidestand in neutral and crank it for at least 10 seconds and see if the ECM will flash the FI light to indicate what it "thinks" is wrong. If it does flash, count the long and short flashes to see what failure code it is and we can tell you what is wrong. I'm guessing his battery is either weak or his camshaft position sensor has died. Jumping it with another bike will eliminate the battery.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
We've been getting a lot of this lately..

If his position sensor croaked, it wouldn't affect his reverse light, would it?

My reverse light flashes (rapidly) when the temp goes below 55 or so. The bike will still crank and start, the only thing that doesn't work is reverse. After the bike warms up a bit, turning the key off & on resets the ECU (I think) and the light stops flashing.

I agree that the flashing reverse probably doesn't have anything to do with the no start. Is it a rapid flash? 5 or so a second? or a slow flash, one every second or more?

Would a low battery cause the reverse light to flash, maybe if he has a dirty contact somewhere? I've never seen that, but...

Anyway, if the bike throws a 19 code when the kickstand / crank proceedure is performed, it's the pulse generator / crank sensor / what ever you'd like to call it.

=Dave=

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
No it wouldn't make the reverse light blink, but it would keep the engine from starting. The reverse light blinking means the reverse system sees a switch or condition that is confusing it. A couple of common things can cause the no start and blinking reverse light, but they won't normally allow the starter to engage and turn the motor. If his battery is low, he could get some strange symptoms out of the bike that won't necessarily make sense, but jumping it with another bike or trying another battery will eliminate that. If his ECM doesn't blink a code, then there's some troubleshooting to be done. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found problem,friend had filled with diesel and another friend had been fooling with the fuses and put one in the wrong place witch made the reverse light blink.Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Reminds me of the time a customer came in the shop,threw the keys to his 1400 intruder on the desk,and said I don't know what's wrong with the blankety-blank thing,but I don't want it back til it's fixed!
When I called him and told him it was ready,he asked what was wrong with it,and I told him it ran better on my gas,than it did his diesel, He said,I'll never own another Suzuki,I knew I should have bought a Harley,instead:roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts