GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Motortrike conversion fitted to my 2001 1800 and to my knowledge it is the only one in Australia. The people who fitted it did not know how to make the ABS light go off.
Can anyone help me and supply the proceedure to do this. I have found the sensor that came from the rear ABS unit tucked in under the RHS cover.
Your help please.
Aussie Neil

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Since your ABS is now non functional you may try removing the fuses for the system. According to my service manual they are:
No. 3 "30A ABS MTR FR" and No. 4 "30A ABS MTR RR"
Hope this helps.

Ron.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Aussie Neil said:
I had a Motortrike conversion fitted to my 2001 1800 and to my knowledge it is the only one in Australia. The people who fitted it did not know how to make the ABS light go off.
Can anyone help me and supply the proceedure to do this. I have found the sensor that came from the rear ABS unit tucked in under the RHS cover.
Your help please.
Aussie Neil
Maybe you can call or e-mail the Motortrike factory and ask them about it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Aussie Neil said:
I have found the sensor that came from the rear ABS unit tucked in under the RHS cover.
Er, hate to mention it but you bought a bike WITH ABS and then have a trike conv. that disables the ABS. Sort of counter productive isn't it?

You could try removing just the "RR" fuse as the ABS-indicator has two lamps in it. That way you "should/may" still have ABS to the front.

FTW

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
FlyTheWing said:
Aussie Neil said:
I have found the sensor that came from the rear ABS unit tucked in under the RHS cover.
Er, hate to mention it but you bought a bike WITH ABS and then have a trike conv. that disables the ABS. Sort of counter productive isn't it?

You could try removing just the "RR" fuse as the ABS-indicator has two lamps in it. That way you "should/may" still have ABS to the front.

FTW
I believe BOTH sensor inputs are needed for the ABS to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ABS

We only get the option to purchase one model out here, it has the ABS fitted. As it is the bikes cost A$39,999.00.
My wife has MS and this is our only option to ride. We did not just remove the ABS after having purchased it for no reason.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: ABS

Aussie Neil said:
We only get the option to purchase one model out here, it has the ABS fitted. As it is the bikes cost A$39,999.00.
My wife has MS and this is our only option to ride. We did not just remove the ABS after having purchased it for no reason.
Hold up there big guy. I wasn't trying to beat up on you, It was more intended for the trike builder. I am amazed they can blithely tuck the sensor out of the way and say "have a nice ride."

Given the litigous bottom-feeders we suffer here in the US, it makes me wonder what local trike builders do here with the ABS.

Hypothetical scenario...
"Hey Mr Trike builder, I crashed my trike and my wife and favorite dog are dead. My lawyer's automotive expert-witness tells me it could have all been prevented if the ABS had been working." Now, can we all say "multi-million dollar settlement?"
...Hypothetical scenario

Maybe see if you can't talk to some of the local trike builders here and see what can be done to keep the ABS.

Interesting tests here...
http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

FTW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the tone of the reply

Fly The Wing- Sorry to hear about your accident.
We are not as fortunate over here, ther is only 1 person who fits the kits. We would only have less than 100 triked Goldwings of any model.
I would love to come over to your great land one day and be like a pig in mud with all the goodies you have available to you.
Neil

·
Banned
683 Posts
I realize this is an old tread but getting rid of the blinking ABS light is a real problem. Retaining ABS after a trike conversion is not only impractical it's also more risky than disabling this function. The problem is ABS is setup for a single front or rear wheel setup. As soon as two wheels are put into place the problem intensifies as now one must re-calibrate the entire system to function properly with this extra wheel. Best practice and safest is to disable the ABS.

Now the question is? short of black electrical tape can the light be disabled?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've looked at a lot of trike and reverse trike configurations and to the best of my knowledge there is one, maybe two that will retain the ABS function... I am quite enamored with the TRIO from Tilting Motor Werks (haven't test ridden yet) but why would I want to spend 13K+ only to give up my linked braking and ABS... Doesn't make much sense to me - just one man's opinion...

I understand the constraints in other countries, but this seems to indicate poor engineering to me if your giving up safety features to ride on 3 wheels...

·
Banned
683 Posts
I've looked at a lot of trike and reverse trike configurations and to the best of my knowledge there is one, maybe two that will retain the ABS function... I am quite enamored with the TRIO from Tilting Motor Werks (haven't test ridden yet) but why would I want to spend 13K+ only to give up my linked braking and ABS... Doesn't make much sense to me - just one man's opinion...

I understand the constraints in other countries, but this seems to indicate poor engineering to me if your giving up safety features to ride on 3 wheels...
Nothing is as simple as it initially appears I am afraid. ABS and Linked brakes are not as important on a front wheel (non leaning) triple as on a two wheeler. Braking force and traction is effectively doubled so ABS and linked suddenly are not as important, although a plus on snow and ice.
But what makes sense about a trike that leans? 13K plus for a trike that does exactly what two wheels do. No traction or braking gain just an extra wheel. Perception is reality. Just my take on physics.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
There actually is a method of adding a wheel and being able to reasonably keep ABS. But it does require a new monitor to read the rotation speed of the two and instantly produce an average for a new signal feed. If one wheel of the pair locks up, you send a half speed signal to the OEM ABS computer and it will still read it as "ACTIVATE ABS". For a standard rear trike, the driveshaft mechanically does that average and I think is what at least one manufacturer does to keep ABS. Having the front as the pair will require the new monitor to average the two.

For me considering a trike in the (hopefully distant) future, my interest is Tilt Motor Works with tilt lock. Losing the linked brakes is not that significant with me. Losing ABS is more significant, but loss of ABS better include the loss of linked brakes too. I do not want the brake peddle to be responsible for a front wheel lock-up, nor do I want the hand brake lever to be responsible for a rear lock-up. Either case requires the total release of the brakes to get the affected wheel rolling again without ABS doing that for you. That is bad news for the reason you are hitting the brakes to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.