GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, Don't know if this will work on the 1500 but I found it on the 1800 board, It might be worth a try for the 1500's also

I keep seeing this complaint about the short duration turn signal delay. It is NOT the wing!

May I respectfully suggest that all those that think the duration is too short read their owner's manual.

The turn signal when pushed gently to either side to activate the signal will cause them to stay on indefinitely.

If the switch is pushed hard to either side it is for a lane change signal and will work for 7 seconds and cancel.

RTFM, engineers and tech writers put a lot of time into these things for a good reason.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Turn Signals

How about reading my owner's manual. I have a 2002 ABS. It says on page 31:

"The turn signal switch is used to signal a turn. To operate, move the switch all the way to the left or right and release it. The appropriate turn signal lights will start blinking. The lights will automatically stop when you complete the turn. (You can manually cancel the lights by pushing the switch in.)

To signal a lane change, move the switch all the way to the left or right and release it. The turn signal lights will automatically stop in 7 seconds or after riding 110 yards (120m)."

Note that both operations say " move the switch all the way." Neither operation says anything about moving the switch "gently" or "hard." What exactly does your manual say?

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I'll give you the same answer here as I did on the msn board. It Ain't So! Maybe the boys in the UK have totally different electrics than we do on their 18's.

I checked mine today. They stay on for 3-4 seconds at 55 mph. That isn't near long enough!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just read page 31 of my 2002 owners manual and it makes no mention of the "indefinitely on" setting. All it says is to "move the switch all the way to the left or right and release it. The turn signals will automatically stop in 7 seconds or after riding 110 yards (120 m)."
Is there a reference to the operation of the turn signals on another page of the manual?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
REd

At 55 MPH and traveling 3-4 seconds is 110 yards or close to it. So your bike works as it should.

Dan L

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Re: Turn Signal

ron melton said:
ALL YA GOTTA DO IS HIT TH BUTTON AGIN :22yikes:
You're correct Ron! But why should we have to? Now that you helped me with the turn signal problem, maybe you can answer some other questions I have! LOL....

Why and when did the Japanesse get so darn stupid when it comes to electronics?

Why doesn't the AVC work on a new modern $19,000 Wing when Honda had it right back in '87?

Why didn't the audio system on the early 01's work with the early CB's?

Why does Honda send printed material to all dealers stating that the CB radio has a 1 year warranty when they enclose literature with the CB for the consumer that states the warranty is "3" years!

Why was the first few thousand CD changers junk?

Why did they need to recall so many kill switches?

Why did so many 01's and 02's have to have so many O2 sensors replaced?

Why did they build a bike that if one of the 6 injectors goes out the bike will become totally disabled?

Why did they install a 4 watt stereo on a bike that cost $19,000? Didn't they expect us to use to radio while moving?

Why did they only install 2 speakers on this same $19,000 motorcycle that is designed for four speakers?

Why can't you receive a signal on the radio more than 30 miles from the tower, even here in the flat lands!?

Why did they install a ambience control for the stereo? It is totally useless unless used with the aux output!

The 1800 is a good bike. It could be a excellent bike if Honda would have done some homework and taking a good look at their quality control(lack of)! The 1800 is the biggest piece of sheet Wing I have had when it comes to quality! I've only had 4 18's and probably another 20-25 of the other years! The fun factor is great most of the time with the 1800.

I will be one person that will be happy if this is the last year for the 1800 as we know it! Honda needs to start over. Maybe they can get it right the next time!

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
sure when you are travelling 55 mph the turn signal shuts off a bit soon but 55 mph is not the only speed turn signals are used at, if you were travelling 25 mph the signal might stay on to long but that minor problem is also easilly solved. Some just don't seem to want to accept that once aware of the situation the turn signals are very easilly controlled by most operators with a healthy left thumb. The goldwing costs plenty allready so becarefull what you ask for. Raise in price will lead to reduction in sales which could lead to even higher cost . I sure ain't rich :yw1:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Red

Red, Who builds ah perfect anything ? I don't understand why you're still ridin th 1800 Wing if you think it's so crummy? :banghead:

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Re: Red

ron melton said:
Red, Who builds ah perfect anything ? I don't understand why you're still ridin th 1800 Wing if you think it's so crummy? :banghead:
To answer your question Ron.....Honda has built the closest thing to perfect in the past!

Why do I still ride a Wing? It's starting to scare me, but the Wing is still the best on the market, even with all it's problems! If something better, for my use, was out there I would own it!

I enjoy the 1800. It's just that while taking many steps forward with it's design, Honda took many steps backwards!
In My Opinion!

Think I'll go out and burn a couple of tanks of fuel today! Maybe I can break something else! LOL....

Take Care...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Since this subject comes up on various wing boards at about the same frequency that SUV-hate stories come up on the 6 o'clock news, I thought I would try to figure out exactly how mine works and why I find the turn signals acceptable.

First, just like "Motorcycle Consumer News", I'll detail the procedures and the high-tech equipment:
The timer was a 1000 one, 1000 two... silent counting system that was calibrated before the ride with a wall clock.

The distance traveled was computed by the odometer as it turned a new 1/10th mile number as a start for the turn signal time test, thus giving a high level of confidence in the concurrent recording of both time and distance in lock sync with the 1000 one, 1000 two clock.

The weather was 60°F with a light breeze. Traffic was light, but generally unpleasant during the constant speed test with turn signals flashing while no turns were made. Several senior citizens were giving a thumbs' up to a bike with an apparent lingering turn signal, while young men in pick-up trucks were using another finger to show their support.

The results:
There appears to be a inverse time to speed relationship with the Honda designed self canceling system where it stays on longer at lower speeds. The relationship of distance to speed was not linear, nor necessarily in sync with the time relationship. Overall, the Honda self-canceller was seen to be adequate for a high percentage of riders. However, in cases where a rider would put the signal on at a high speed and then slow down significantly before the curve or intersection stop, that rider would find that the signal expired before the turn. More about this later*.

Test numbers (note, all speedo & odometer numbers are in "Honda Miles" so please allow for a 6% error rate):

60 mph; 7 seconds; 615 feet

30-35 mph; 9-10 seconds; 400-450 feet

stopped at light/stop sign; unlimited time; zero distance

Other thoughts:
The system seems to work nicely for riding where you are changing lanes or giving turn warnings at "normal" advance distances such as one block or less at city speeds or 1/10th of a mile at cruising speeds.

*In those cases where it would seem to be to prudent to give an advance turning signal, such as when riding up-front in a large group or when auto/truck traffic is frenetic, one might have to move their thumb all the way to the signal button and push it yet a second time (a little exercise is a good thing).

To this tester's surprise, there was no difference in results if you pushed the turn signal button all the way over to feel the click, or if you just pushed it to the clicker resistance while under way. This was not checked when stationary except last night in the garage when it would not activate the signal unless it "clicked". I couldn't get my signals to ever click off in less than 7 seconds, as indicated in the Owner's Manual, but the 110 yard metric seems to have no role unless it is the slow speed time determinent.

·
Registered
221 Posts
IMHO the turn signal duration is determined entirely by vehicle speed while traveling in a straight line (not making a turn). If the turn signal is activated at speeds above 31 mph it will cancel withen 7-10 seconds. If the turn signal is activated at 30 mph or lower they will stay on until you complete a turn.

:yw1:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I guess we all went out and tried it today :)

Mine stays on about 7 seconds going straight down the freeway at 75mph -- roughly 250 yards. In town, at slower speeds they stop after about a city block -- 110 yards or when I complete a turn.

I think there's a misprint in the manual that only an old programmer like me would care about. It says "The turn signal lights will automatically stop in 7 seconds or after riding 110 yards." I think it should say " . . .7 seconds and after riding 110 yards."

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I also noticed something that is a definite typo. 110 yards is not equal to 120 meters. If you reverse the units it is correct. 120 yards multiplied by 0.9144 is 109.728 meters.

·
Registered
596 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
I also noticed something that is a definite typo. 110 yards is not equal to 120 meters. If you reverse the units it is correct. 120 yards multiplied by 0.9144 is 109.728 meters.
I didn't pick up on that. You're exactly right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Red

Red said:
ron melton said:
To answer your question Ron.....Honda has built the closest thing to perfect in the past!

Why do I still ride a Wing? It's starting to scare me, but the Wing is still the best on the market, even with all it's problems! If something better, for my use, was out there I would own it!

I enjoy the 1800. It's just that while taking many steps forward with it's design, Honda took many steps backwards!
In My Opinion!

Think I'll go out and burn a couple of tanks of fuel today! Maybe I can break something else! LOL....

Take Care...
Red you live in Florida what the heck you doing using a turn signal,you'll confuse everyone here!!!!

G

·
Not to beat a dead horse...If I am not nuts, the turn signal does not self-cancel if I am not moving (stopped at a light, for instance). In that case, the signal will stay on indefinitely. No?

BTW, having had bikes without self-cancelling turn indicators, I have no problem hitting the switch a second or third time, when desired.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse...If I am not nuts, the turn signal does not self-cancel if I am not moving (stopped at a light, for instance). In that case, the signal will stay on indefinitely. No?

It is understood that the turn signals will not cancel when sitting still. The trouble is that someone claims that the turn signal switch has a 3rd secret position that only a privileged few seem to know about. A position that is activated by gently moving the switch left or right that prevents the signals from auto canceling no matter what speed, distance, or time interval is involved. My claim is that this setting does not exist on 2001 or 2002 GL1800. If it did I would have found it sometime within the last 35,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts