GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tearing down everything to the front fairing in order to replace the R. handlebar electrical pod, and re--installing everything, the turn signals/emergency flashers do not work. The lights work, but when the switch is signal is activated, it turns the light off. Any ideas where to begin?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
Did you unplug the flasher relay? Depending on the year of your bike, it is either a circuit board in the rear of the gauge assembly or it is plugged into the harness and hanging in behind the gauge assembly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an '03. I will check the flasher relay. On my '03, is the relay accessible with only the meter panel off, or is more disassembly required? Thanks.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
The 03 has the circuit board in the gauge assembly. Is everything else on the bike working? The power for the turn signals powers a few other things, so if they are working it's not a power problem. I doubt you unplugged it in the rear of the cluster. Check all of the plugs under the right and left fairing pockets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything else works. There is one connector for which I can't find the other end under the left fairing pocket. The connector is maroon with 2 wires in a rubber boot that also includes the white connector for the audio wire that comes up into the pocket. Nothing else seems to be unplugged under either fairing pocket.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
When you turn on the hazards do you get anything? Did you remove the gauge cluster when doing this repair?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well I would have to look at the schematic of that, but just at the moment I suspect a pinched wire , shunts power to ground when you activate the switch.

The little maroon (red) connector you found is a aux power connector, does not connect to the bike circuits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Techdude and Kit. There is no wire pinched insofar as I can view with the fairing pockets and mirrors removed. I guess it will be a matter of complete dismantling down to the front fairing removal to check for a pinched wire.

Despite the satisfaction derived from repairing/maintaining your own ride.....I am now at the point of not buying such complicated equipment w/o a warranty. My trip leaving this morning for Seattle is off.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
Sorry about your trip getting cancelled. Here is a picture of the relay's harness connector(3P at the bottom):

Another connector you should check is C24 under the right side pocket. The turn signal switch and hazard switch wiring both run thru it:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Repair postponed for a couple weeks

Many thanks to both of you! The trip to Seattle will proceed, just not on the GL. When I return in a couple weeks, I'll dive right into it. In the mean time, tools are put away, bike is parked and covered and I will persevere upon my return.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I began again on the journey to solve this issue....to no avail. checked all the plugs, relays, fuses, looked for pinched wires, even took it over to Don at Wing-Nut in Fairfield for a quick look. He said to bring it back when he can have a couple hours at it and he'll solve it.

I did learn how well put together all the plastic bits are on this machine. Everything fits together precisely with a tightness that shows how well it is made. In the meantime, it bettered me, and I'll let a pro look it. Thanks again for your suggestions.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
If all of those plugs looked good, then the flasher relay itself is possibly dead. The gauge assembly has to come out to check it. Goodluck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts