GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Am A long time member and owner of 02 GL1800A wing . I have been testing and all fuses are good. after looking around I found that the Flasher relay is in my dash gauge panel. My emergency flashers do work all bulbs flash . wondering if any one can answer me if the relay is shared with the Emergency flasher or they are two relays ? I am trying not to remove cluster if I don't have to. I went to EC web site and found one that plugs in to the three pin connector external for Led flasher wired for plug & play will work? thanks in advance for any help

Ricky.

·
Registered
136 Posts
While I"m not familiar with your bike, I'd switch out the bulb that is not working. Probably (guessing) an 1157 - dual filament bulb - used to be common as dirt and not much more expensive. I've had funny results with bulbs appearing to work sometimes and not others.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Is it all the turn signal lights not working, or just one? A little more info would help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I Am A long time member and owner of 02 GL1800A wing . I have been testing and all fuses are good. after looking around I found that the Flasher relay is in my dash gauge panel. My emergency flashers do work all bulbs flash . wondering if any one can answer me if the relay is shared with the Emergency flasher or they are two relays ? I am trying not to remove cluster if I don't have to. I went to EC web site and found one that plugs in to the three pin connector external for Led flasher wired for plug & play will work? thanks in advance for any help

Ricky.
I put LED Flasher in. Then upgraded all incandescent bulbs to LED. Figure I dropped Load on Alternator close to 50 AMPS. Also put in LED Headlights and fog lights and Radio lights and handlebar LEDs. If you do put LED Flasher in you will have tha opprtunity to put some 7443 LEDs in place of 7443 incandescent.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,381 Posts

Ricky.
The flasher is shared by both the hazards and the turn signals. The hazard button switch activates it by grounding the blue/green wire and connecting the flasher’s output to the hazard diode which distributes the pulsing power to both sides lights. When you activate the turn signal switch, it grounds a pink wire that activates the cancel unit and it grounds the blue/green wire of the flasher via the turn signal diode. A different part of the turn signal switch also routes the pulsing power from the flasher to the appropriate lights, left or right. So, since your hazards work, your issue is not the flasher board in the gauges. Have you had anything done to the steering stem, forks, or the handlebars? If so, the most likely culprit is the little green connector on the top of the steering stem. It’s the harness plug for the cancel unit and has tiny pins that can get bent or pushed out of the backside of the connector. The harness runs from there over to the white frame under the right side fairing pocket and passes through C17 which is known to get corrosion in it from rain dripping out of the vent above it. When you try the signals, does the side that you are trying to activate turn off the position light in the mirror? If yes, then the cancel unit is working and the issue may be somewhere else in the circuits. If no, then the cancel unit or the circuits from the turn signal switch to it are suspect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it all the turn signal lights not working, or just one? A little more info would help.
Yes all fuses good ,all bulbs working, the emergency flashers work as suppose to. been Testing as per manuel . if Flasher relay works on can I assume flasher relay is good?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow Techdudes troubleshooting first. Then go from there.
The flasher is shared by both the hazards and the turn signals. The hazard button switch activates it by grounding the blue/green wire and connecting the flasher’s output to the hazard diode which distributes the pulsing power to both sides lights. When you activate the turn signal switch, it grounds a pink wire that activates the cancel unit and it grounds the blue/green wire of the flasher via the turn signal diode. A different part of the turn signal switch also routes the pulsing power from the flasher to the appropriate lights, left or right. So, since your hazards work, your issue is not the flasher board in the gauges. Have you had anything done to the steering stem, forks, or the handlebars? If so, the most likely culprit is the little green connector on the top of the steering stem. It’s the harness plug for the cancel unit and has tiny pins that can get bent or pushed out of the backside of the connector. The harness runs from there over to the white frame under the right side fairing pocket and passes through C17 which is known to get corrosion in it from rain dripping out of the vent above it. When you try the signals, does the side that you are trying to activate turn off the position light in the mirror? If yes, then the cancel unit is working and the issue may be somewhere else in the circuits. If no, then the cancel unit or the circuits from the turn signal switch to it are suspect.
yes I ran Test steps in repair manuel and found the turn cancel unit is bad. have one ordered . will have to wait tell it arrives to finish. thanks for all help. Ricky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts