GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 gl1800. If I turn the key to the on position, the turn signals function normally sometimes. Once the engine has been started they fail to operate. all other systems seem normal. Battery is new.... Please advise.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Sorry to see so far no replies, What exactly does “They function normally sometimes “ mean ? They don’t light up at all anywhere after the bike is running ? With or without the trailer attached ? What kind of wiring harness did you use to hookup the trailer ? Did you take Apart that plug under the seat to check for problems ? Many folks have reported ground issues with that plug, mine had the ground issue so after some good advice from folks on this board I cut the ground wire off on both sides of the plug and soldered a jumper wire in between, that was about 2,000 miles ago and everything has been working perfectly since. In my case when the issue was happening As soon as I turned on a signal the indicator lights on the dash would stay lighted With the signals on or off And the signals usually wouldn’t flash.
I’m certainly no electrician so hopefully someone else will be able to help you better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The trailer harness system went on about 70,000 miles ago. and has always worked with and without the trailer. Although it may have suddenly failed. The turn signals work "normally" as in ...left front and rear and dash light flash on demand as do the right. about half of the time I test it with the key in the on position, they work normally and fail when the engine is started. However, I just tried it, this moment, and all is working fine...so I guess it would be called an intermittent problem...Now it is 30 minutes later, the bike has not moved and turn signals are not working at all.....

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,596 Posts
Yes, hazard and radio work when blinkers do not. Thanks....
Ok, the first thing I would do is examine the little green connector under the rubber cap on the top of the steering stem nut. Make sure it’s pins are not pushed out the back side and that it’s properly locked together. This is the cancel unit’s connector and is the main difference between the hazards and the turn signals as far as how the system is controlled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found and inspected the green connector. clean it with electric cleaner and re installed it. no change. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have after market flashers such as in the mirrors and front fender, but they are all working when they work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the brain space. Horn and all other functions are normal. How can I test the switch ?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Are your aftermarket flasher accessory lights Led & Kury??

If so you need to check their wire routing and ALL the connectors that get stuffed in up by the mirrors. The wires & connectors are very fragile and aren't qualified to carry 12v and they melt, corrode and can create a big problems later on with the wiring.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,596 Posts
Thanks for the brain space. Horn and all other functions are normal. How can I test the switch ?
Ok, since everything else seems to be fine, it’s not a shared power issue. The main thing the switch does, is ground a pink wire that runs to that green connector and the cancel unit to activate it. When this happens the cancel unit starts a counter in it and grounds the blue/black wire that runs through a diode and then grounds the flasher relay to activate it. We know it’s not the flasher or the hazards wouldn’t work, so you need to check the continuity to ground on the pink wire when you push the switch left and right to see if it is being grounded with it running. The thing that has me stumped is why they will work and starting the engine causes them to quit working.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(There is a green wire that appears to be the ground). with the ignition switch in the off position, the pink wire continues to ground when the turn signal switch is moved to the left or right turn position (tester makes an audible beep). When the ignition key is in the on position, the pink wire does NOT go to ground when the signal switch is move to the left or right turn position. (no audible beep)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PS the tester only sounds the beep for continuity while the turn signal switch is held full left or full right. Once it is released and resumes center position, there is no indication of continuity to ground. And all of this only occurs with the ignition switch in the off position.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rob, the short answer is the pink wire is NOT being grounded by the turn signal switch while running..(sorry)

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,596 Posts
Rob, the short answer is the pink wire is NOT being grounded by the turn signal switch while running..(sorry)
Sorry, I should have said it momentarily grounds the pink wire. Can you test the pink wire again, this time hook up your meter for voltage and see what the pink wire voltage is when you push the switch left or right. It should go to almost 0 volts while the switch is pushed. If it is doing this, then check the voltage on the blue/black wire after you push the switch left or right. It should drop to near 0 volts and stay there. If it doesn’t, then check the green/white wire for power.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
techdude2000, I know he probably is referring to a GL1800. But here is some information regarding the turn signal wiring for a GL1500 that might help/apply.

I am pretty sure most of this applies to the GL1800 Turn Signal Circuit.....!

I am sure you can modify this to apply directly for the GL1800.....!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts