GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I am the only one or has any one else had this problem. I turned on my left signal and after I made my turn the indicator light in the dash stayed on. I tried the signal again and it flashes but the left indicator light still stays on, the right signal works normal.

When I stopped to check to make sure the turn signal was working both the front and rear turn signal lights were on. If I turn on the signal it flashes then quits but the lights are still on, as well as the indicator in the dash.

Bad switch or short?

Appricate any suggestions.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess I will try to make sure all the light bulb connections are good then try to trace down other wire connections.

appreciate the response.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the hazard lights work perfectly. when a problem is intermittent it is hard to diagnose. right now everything is working. go figure..

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
OK, it sounds like you may have the ground problem that was mentioned earlier. The green ground wire for the rear lights can cause all sorts of strange symptom when it gets a bad connection in one of the connectors under the seat. Here is a picture of both connectors. You should pull them apart and see if there's any melting or corrosion around the solid green wire.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Though I usually concur with Techdude, on this I do not think your problem lies with that connector but I've supplied a pic of my fix back there under the seat. I believe you have another problem. It might be in the switch or the flasher. Your signals are cancelling the flasher, but are still getting current from the circuit. Can you see if the running light filament is also lit? Also, do you have any accessories which involve the signals? Do your signals cancel if you push in the button (you didn't really say so I'm askin)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Today I had a sim problem. Dash light (turn indicator) came on and stayed on. When i turned on the turn signals they did flash but NO WHERE nearly as bright as normal.. I found that SOMEtime in the bikes past life someone had wrapped wires together to bypass that plug under the seat and the twisted together wires had come loose. I soldered a bypass wire & put shrink sleeving over it and then doubled up on elect tape as a precaution... As there is vert nothing in themanual agout that i ran to Gl1800 riders in the hope that someone else has run across a sim situation.... Luckily many folks had.
Thanks for all that have run across this before for posting info about it. NOW we can head down to Big Bend tomorrow for a week or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts