GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an old rider new to goldwings & trying to figure out the turn signals. Book says the passing feature keeps signal flashing for 7 seconds. Sometimes I signal earlier than 7 seconds before the turn & they go out & I get dirty looks from people thinking I didn't signal. Any tricks to keeping them on (down-shifting, braking etc.)?

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
use the force luke

use the force Luke - or in this case the search function. http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/signalmadness.html

I personally just rehit the turn signal if I know I'm going to be delayed changing lanes. But I have done some other mods to the bike like the temp display using the cancel feature of the turn signal. I also put a small connector on the wire to allow for taking things apart.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I like to signal way ahead, and have just developed a habit of hitting the turn button 2-3 times as I come to a turn.

The signal is mostly distance related. It will signal forever if you signal right before you stop, and then wait. The faster you are going when you turn on the signals the sooner it goes off.

Just keep hitting it, it becomes second nature after a few days.

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback. Just returned from a 2,800 mile trip and got used to just hitting the button a second time. Think it's better than the Electra-Glide I traded in. It's turn signals stayed on until you manually cancelled them if you were changing lanes & not making a corner type turn. More times than not I would forget to turn them off.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
..the passing feature keeps signal flashing for 7 seconds.
.. before the turn & they go out.
the answer is almost as confusing as the question :)
.. you refer to "passing" but then talk about "turning"..
imho, that is not exactly the same thing.
"Passing" is just a little lean left or right but I mostly keep going straight..
"Turning", to me, is more about going left or right from the road I'm on..

For passing or changing lanes the signal lasts about 7 seconds and then turns off..
.. that is just about right as far as I'm concerned.
.. and it seems to be true for any speed above about 24 mph.

If you are going to "turn" left or right,
and put them on while stopped,
they will stay on until just after you make the turn.

and/but ... from my experience and previous discussions:

and... on the older bikes (2001-2005), they seem to work that way at any speed.

but... on the newer bikes (2006-2010), if you put them on below about 24 mph
and are continuously de-accelerating to a full stop,
they will stay on.
But if, during that time, you decided to speed up again,
they will turn off.

2011 don't count and I don't know about the 2012's
:)

Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts