GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and Happy Holidays, I purchased a 2005 Goldwing MotorTrike last week. I drove it home 180 miles..In my excitment I may have missed a few things. i have a 2003 Vstar, but broke my back and needed a trike, as I love riding so much. anyway..
I was wondering if maybe you can guide me.
Problems:

1)Cruise ON light never goes off. (but cruise control does work fine)
2) on the left panel there is a symbol that looks like it could be for "Fog" lights, but appears to do nothing.
3) the Emergency light flashers button has to be HELD DOWN to flash, wont stay on, if your not pushing it.
4) and to me most problematic* is that when I put on turn signal, left or right, ALL the Lights FLASH like the Emergency Flashers.

Could this be a simple relay, a ground wire, or bad bulb socket, fuse...I dont know where to start and I know a dealer with elelctrical will kill the budget I made for this Trike..

I would REALLY Appreciate any info you can give me..
Happy Holidays,:nojoke:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Hello, and Happy Holidays, I purchased a 2005 Goldwing MotorTrike last week. I drove it home 180 miles..In my excitment I may have missed a few things. i have a 2003 Vstar, but broke my back and needed a trike, as I love riding so much. anyway..
I was wondering if maybe you can guide me.
Problems:

1)Cruise ON light never goes off. (but cruise control does work fine)
2) on the left panel there is a symbol that looks like it could be for "Fog" lights, but appears to do nothing.
3) the Emergency light flashers button has to be HELD DOWN to flash, wont stay on, if your not pushing it.
4) and to me most problematic* is that when I put on turn signal, left or right, ALL the Lights FLASH like the Emergency Flashers.

Could this be a simple relay, a ground wire, or bad bulb socket, fuse...I dont know where to start and I know a dealer with elelctrical will kill the budget I made for this Trike..

I would REALLY Appreciate any info you can give me..
Happy Holidays,:nojoke:
Welcome and congrats on the new to you trike. The hazard switch should latch in, cleaning and lubing it might get it working correctly. Do you have fog lights down in the front gray cowl? If so, then the fog light switch may be bad. The turn signals doing that could be a bad switch at the left control or it could be a shorted diode under the seat near the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flashers & turn signals

Welcome and congrats on the new to you trike. The hazard switch should latch in, cleaning and lubing it might get it working correctly. Do you have fog lights down in the front gray cowl? If so, then the fog light switch may be bad. The turn signals doing that could be a bad switch at the left control or it could be a shorted diode under the seat near the rear.

yes the fog lights are in the front cowl, I am new to this and @ 61 years old,,,I am determined to keep riding...Can you give me any info on how I would check diode,,,,,guess I need to take seat off,,,OH this could be interesting..LOL is there a way to tell with a meter or something. Thanks so much.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
yes the fog lights are in the front cowl, I am new to this and @ 61 years old,,,I am determined to keep riding...Can you give me any info on how I would check diode,,,,,guess I need to take seat off,,,OH this could be interesting..LOL is there a way to tell with a meter or something. Thanks so much.
Once you get the seat off, the diode is just a black block plugged into the harness in a boot near the left rear. Here's a picture of it. (turn signal diode in this picture, but it's actually called the hazard diode) Just unplug it and see if the lights quit flashing together. If they do, then check the pink wire for pulsing power with the signals on. It should have no power on it unless the hazard switch is on. If it has pulsing power and the hazard switch is off, then that switch may be the culprit. If it doesn't have any power on it with the signals on, then the diode is shorted. If removing the diode doesn't stop both sides from flashing together, then the turn signal switch on the handlebar is the most likely culprit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a switch from Radio Shack 275-0731 which can be used to replace Hazard switch. Mine sticks on and will not turn off. Took it apart to unstick it. I have not replaced it yet but bought the switch. Can also be used for the cowl lights, so both switches look the same. To cold in the garage to play with it right now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
turn signals act like flasher

The first thing to check above all other things, a trailer converter device from 4 wire to a 5 wire if it has this device unplug it and put bike back to stock and then recheck your lights if problem is solve the converter is defective I have seen converters bad a number of times.

·
Vendor
21,957 Posts
I recently fixed a bike with a problem identical to yours. The broken flasher switch wasn't allowing the switch to fully return when released. This caused the contacts inside the switch that connects the left and right signals together to be shorted, and then when you put the turn signals on, you got both left and right. Try grasping the flasher switch and pulling back on it, and see if that fixes your turn signals. I highly suspect this is your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts