GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm hoping that the collective wisdom here can help me.

I have a 2002 GL1800A, and the turn signals and hazards are both Inop at the moment. Both were functioning at the beginning of a recent ride, then the right side turn signals stopped working. A bit later, both sides of the turn signals and the hazards stopped working.

I have read the related threads on similar issues, and I have the Shop Manual and the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.

Here is the status thus far;

-I dug down to the Flasher Relay behind the meter panel, and swapped it for one from the auto parts store. No change.

-At this point, I decided to go "back to basics" and check Power, Ground, Fuses and Connectors.

-Pulled the battery, put it on a load tester and it was within the "Acceptable" range.

-I removed, cleaned, and reattached the Main Ground near the starter on the right side of the block.

-Pulled and checked the Fuses (5, 6, 21, 27) in the main fuse panel near the battery.

-I replaced the battery with a new Lithium unit. No change. But, now I have a spare. :)

-Replaced the Flasher Relay with an OEM unit.

-Opened up the Relay Box under the seat and swapped out the Tail Relay with a known good unit.

-Swapped the Horn/Turn Relay. (Horn worked before and after the swap. No change)

-Swapped out the Turn Signal Diode under the seat with a known good unit.

-Replaced the Turn Signal Diode with an OEM unit.

When I look at the electrical schematic, it appears that the Turn Signal Switch is the only thing left that could affect both the turn signals and the hazards.

Since the switch is a $200 part, is there anything else I could check before swapping it out?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add that I pulled the large connector under the seat apart and visually checked the green Ground wire. No black soot, no evidence of pitting. I did not jumper it at this time.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
Guys, I'm hoping that the collective wisdom here can help me.

I have a 2002 GL1800A, and the turn signals and hazards are both Inop at the moment. Both were functioning at the beginning of a recent ride, then the right side turn signals stopped working. A bit later, both sides of the turn signals and the hazards stopped working.

I have read the related threads on similar issues, and I have the Shop Manual and the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.

Here is the status thus far;

-I dug down to the Flasher Relay behind the meter panel, and swapped it for one from the auto parts store. No change.

-At this point, I decided to go "back to basics" and check Power, Ground, Fuses and Connectors.

-Pulled the battery, put it on a load tester and it was within the "Acceptable" range.

-I removed, cleaned, and reattached the Main Ground near the starter on the right side of the block.

-Pulled and checked the Fuses (5, 6, 21, 27) in the main fuse panel near the battery.

-I replaced the battery with a new Lithium unit. No change. But, now I have a spare. :)

-Replaced the Flasher Relay with an OEM unit.

-Opened up the Relay Box under the seat and swapped out the Tail Relay with a known good unit.

-Swapped the Horn/Turn Relay. (Horn worked before and after the swap. No change)

-Swapped out the Turn Signal Diode under the seat with a known good unit.

-Replaced the Turn Signal Diode with an OEM unit.

When I look at the electrical schematic, it appears that the Turn Signal Switch is the only thing left that could affect both the turn signals and the hazards.

Since the switch is a $200 part, is there anything else I could check before swapping it out?

Thanks in advance.
On your 02, the relay up front is the position light relay, not the flasher relay. Your flasher relay is actually a circuit board mounted in the rear of the gauge assembly. You need to put the original position light relay back into the socket up front and if the flasher board has died, as I suspect, it's easiest and cheaper to replace it with the one from Electical Connection. It will plug right in to the harness and you won't have to pull the gauge assembly to wrestle the old board out and a new overpriced board back in. Did you change this board shown in the middle of the gauge diagram?

This is the the connector for the flasher relay board, it's the 3 pin one shown in this picture.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
No, I did not change out the circuit board. This sounds like a good solution!
The board runs about $45 and takes a lot of work to change. This is a flasher unit that will plug into that 3 pin connector above and is half the price: http://electricalconnection.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_59&product_id=121

Correction, I just looked up your circuit board and Honda has dropped the price of it to $26 and change at Partzilla, but it's still a pain to change out. By the way, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The board runs about $45 and takes a lot of work to change. This is a flasher unit that will plug into that 3 pin connector above and is half the price: http://electricalconnection.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_59&product_id=121

Correction, I just looked up your circuit board and Honda has dropped the price of it to $26 and change at Partzilla, but it's still a pain to change out. By the way, welcome to the board!
Thanks for the assistance, and for the warm welcome. Much obliged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Auto part Vehicle Suspension Suspension part Automotive exhaust
Ok, I got the part from Electrical Connection and installed it. The running lights are illuminated as before.

When I select a turn, the light on that side goes out. There is no "click" and no flash. The light just stays out until I either deselect that side or select the other side.

The hazards dont do anything.

The description of the part says it is an LED flasher, and I have OEM flashers. Could this be the issue?

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
View attachment 69320 Ok, I got the part from Electrical Connection and installed it. The running lights are illuminated as before.

When I select a turn, the light on that side goes out. There is no "click" and no flash. The light just stays out until I either deselect that side or select the other side.

The hazards dont do anything.

The description of the part says it is an LED flasher, and I have OEM flashers. Could this be the issue?
Ok, the light going out on each side when you select it means the position light filament in each bulb is working correctly along with the position light relay. Have you checked the power on the green/black wire of the harness from the bike? When you push the hazard button in, the gray wire should read a short to ground. Lewis at EC has said it will work with LEDs as well as the incandescent bulbs. The new flasher doesn't look like it's plugged in all the way. If you have power on it and the gray wire is getting grounded with the hazard switch, then the blue wire should have pulsing power on it. I'm not sure if it will click like a traditional flasher relay clicks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Running LT's. Blue 38.7mV. Gray. 151.9 mV. Gray/Blk. .5mV. .966 Ohms

Left Turn. Blue 19.3mV. Gray 136.3mV. Gray/Blk. 34.7mV. .877 Ohms

Right Turn. Blue 20.1mV. Gray 130.1mV. Gray/Blk. 122.5mV. .75 Ohms

Hazards. Blue 37.5mV. Gray 90.6mV. Gray/Blk. 10.4mV. 70.7 Ohms

These are the readings I'm seeing, reading through the 3 pin connector coming from the wiring harness. I don't see any pulsing power.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
Running LT's. Blue 38.7mV. Gray. 151.9 mV. Gray/Blk. .5mV. .966 Ohms

Left Turn. Blue 19.3mV. Gray 136.3mV. Gray/Blk. 34.7mV. .877 Ohms

Right Turn. Blue 20.1mV. Gray 130.1mV. Gray/Blk. 122.5mV. .75 Ohms

Hazards. Blue 37.5mV. Gray 90.6mV. Gray/Blk. 10.4mV. 70.7 Ohms

These are the readings I'm seeing, reading through the 3 pin connector coming from the wiring harness. I don't see any pulsing power.
Ok, so which wire is connecting to the green/black one on the bike's side of the connector? It should have 12V on it with the key turned on. It comes from fuse 21 through the accessory relay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Electronics Technology Vehicle Electronic device Car

Green/Black wire in harness from bike is showing 11.83v.

I rechecked fuse 21 and it appeared blown. Replaced the fuse and reconnected the part from Electrical Connection.

Now, both sets of Turn Signals work, front and rear.

Hazards only work on the right side front/rear. Nothing on the left.

Position lights all work.

Attachments

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
View attachment 69353

Green/Black wire in harness from bike is showing 11.83v.

I rechecked fuse 21 and it appeared blown. Replaced the fuse and reconnected the part from Electrical Connection.

Now, both sets of Turn Signals work, front and rear.

Hazards only work on the right side front/rear. Nothing on the left.

Position lights all work.
Great!, you said you had changed the turn signal diode in your first post, do you still have it to try in the connector at the rear of the seat? The pulsing power that comes from the flasher relay goes to it and the left and right side lights get the power through it. If one side works, then there's an issue with the diode. Did the new one have the same numbers on it as the old one? This diode has a orange wire, a light blue wire, and a pink/white wire. The pulsing power comes to it on the pink/white wire, the left side lights are fed by the orange wire, and the right side are fed by the light blue wire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have replacement diode on hand.

I swapped the Oil Pressure Switch Diode (4-NAT) into the Turn Signal Diode position. No Hazards on either side.

Put the Turn Signal Diode (3-NAT) back into position and now only the LEFT side Hazards are working.

That at least shows me that the power/ground to both sets of Hazards is good. Turn signals and position lights are all working normally.

Looks like a dodgy diode, huh?

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
I don't have replacement diode on hand.

I swapped the Oil Pressure Switch Diode (4-NAT) into the Turn Signal Diode position. No Hazards on either side.

Put the Turn Signal Diode (3-NAT) back into position and now only the LEFT side Hazards are working.

That at least shows me that the power/ground to both sets of Hazards is good. Turn signals and position lights are all working normally.

Looks like a dodgy diode, huh?
Yea, the oil pressure diode is reverse polarity from this one, that's why it didn't work. Definitely sounds like something strange is up with that diode pack. Does it have any readable numbers on it? If it has MM8 on it, this is the part number for it: 31700-MM8-610

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
There are no numbers on the outside of the diode, only a "1.2" on the inside.
Ok, based on the parts listing that shows the number of each part required and knowing that the oil pressure diode and the position light diode are both the opposite polarity from this one, the only one listed with 1 required is this one. 31700-MM8-610

1 - 20 of 21 Posts