GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I could use some assistance trouble shooting my turn signals.
When the Turn Signal Switch is activated the appropriate front signal/running light, turns off, but does not flash. Rear light does not come on. If I use the 4 way flasher, everything works fine.
I've swapped the ACC relay, and the Horn/Turn relay, with known good relays. I cleaned the turn signal switch. To test the "Turn Signal Relay" or the Turn Signal Switch, the entire fairing needs to be removed, according to the manual. (I'm trying to avoid this).

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, bulbs are good. They all work with the 4 way flasher. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
under the right pouch there is a number of wire connections, you may need to remove the top shelter to access. should be 2 large blue, 6 pin grey, and several others. on the grey 6 pin there is a blue/black wire. with a test light check this connection to ground, should light up. when moving the turn signal switch left or right should have no power, when pushed in should light up. if this is the case the turn signal cancel swithch in the steering tube is bad. i just replaced mine, my turn signals did not work at all. if your hazards work it is probably not the flasher which is in the meter panel which requires removal of the front end. no shortcuts here i found out in my journey. good luck

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kajunwing, Thanks for the info. If I can access the connector by just removing the "pocket", I'll check it out this weekend. If the top shelter needs to be removed, it will be a winter project. I'll check with my dealer, may be covered under my extented warranty.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
techdude2000 said:
Most likely culprit will be a broken wire in the left side handlebar cover. :D
I will check that. I assume you've seen that problem? I haven't done any wiring in that area, but it deserves a check. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
if you have never removedthe top shelter,should take about 30 minutes max. if it is the cancel unit it will bshould be covered

·
Registered
240 Posts
If the Hazards work, it can only be the switch or wire fron the C9 pin 19 or C24 pin 6. These two should have 12v any time the ignition is switched on.

The C9 plug is under the LH glove box and C24 plug is under the RH glove box

Hope this helps

·
Registered
51 Posts
the hazard lights can be functional and the turn signals not work if the cancel unit is bad which was the case in my recent adventure into the dark world of the goldwing wiring setup. had juice at every connection and wire tha was supposed to have it. had current in one place that was not supposed to and this lead to the relacement of the cancel switch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts