GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals stopped flashing today, the 4 ways won't flash either. I also can't cancel the turn signals, I either have right on steady or left on steady. if i turn on 4 way flashers all the lights stay on.
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Check all your grounding locations. You have a loose wire or a short to the turn signals

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Turn Signal Flasher bad or Blinker fluid is low!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2005. I found the fix, but TechnoDude also hit it on the head.
What I found is that there was an intermittent ground wire problem in the large wire harnus plug located under the seat and to the rear of the bike. I simply pulled theis plug apart and cleaned up the terminals, added a slight film of dielectric grease to all the pins and reassembled. Problem solved.
I hope this is also your problem, as I was not the first to find this!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
If your brake lights work then I say it is your flasher relay on the backside of the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it may be the flasher

Well, I found the flasher relay plug and unplugged it, my lights are finally off. The brake lights still work so I think the flasher relay fused in the on position. I have some very bright LED bulbs in the back so I had to run some load equalizers to make it flash correctly, it lasted a year but it may have been too much load. Honda wants $39 for the flasher so I am going to change to a flasher that works with LED bulbs for $14 and get rid of the load equalizers. I will update this post when it arrives as to if it fixed it or not.
Thanks for all of the ideas.

FYI -- I used up all of my blinker fluid oiling my muffler bearings.

White GoldWings are great! All of the cagers think I am a cop and get the heck out of my way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2005. I found the fix, but TechnoDude also hit it on the head.
What I found is that there was an intermittent ground wire problem in the large wire harnus plug located under the seat and to the rear of the bike. I simply pulled theis plug apart and cleaned up the terminals, added a slight film of dielectric grease to all the pins and reassembled. Problem solved.
I hope this is also your problem, as I was not the first to find this!
I wish I had found this post FIRST!

Three of us spent several hours yesterday on my 2005. We went for a ride when the person behind me said "You don't have any brake lights!" Not a good thing to hear on a bike.

The strange symptom was, when I applied brake, I was getting some feedback into my Muth mirrors and rear turn signals and BOTH dash signal markers. Indicating a bad ground we started by eliminating some added accessories.

We eliminated:

• Wig Wag
  • Trailor isolator harness
  • Rear EC spoiler
Then, after reading about the MAIN ground lug which can cause problems, we dug down to the fuel tank, lifted it high enough to "get to" the main ground point UNDER the tank....sigh.....cleaned and added star washers.

Still no luck :eek:4:
Then.....disconnected the main plug-in connector under the seat....VIOLA!

After checking a manual that a friend had, we located the GREEN ground wire....wiggled it a little and THIS appeared to be the culprit!

Cleaned the connector but it was still intermittent, so I may have to add a jumper wire around the connector for that little green ground wire.

I am fortunate to have a couple of friends who don't mind "tearing into" a problem like this.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem Solved

It was the flasher relay, the relay stuck closed. The Honda flasher relay is $40 and located inside the meter panel below all the meters. Good going Honda, couldn't just use a regular flasher could they.
Well, thats what I have now and it works with a draw of 0.02-20 amps. LED bulbs, No problem anymore. The fix was less than $20 including shipping. Just cut the harness off of the meter assembly and get some weatherproof spade terminals to attach to it. Plug in the new flasher and zip tie it all to one of the dash braces. If it dies I can replace it on the road now.

Here is the fix below:

Originally Posted by GL_Bob Thanks GL_Bob :thumbup:
The flasher needed has to have ground terminal.
http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm is a good source. The EP35/36 is what I used.The wiring goes as follows;
Light Green/ Blue goes to the positive terminal
The Gray wire goes to the "L" or load terminal
The Blue/Black wire goes to the "31" or ground terminal.
The ground terminal is critical as the turn signal cancel unit controls the ground signal to the flasher. That is how it stops the flasher, by lifting the ground to the flasher. If you connect the ground terminal to ground, the flasher will not stop flashing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts