GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

The "self-canceling" turn signals on my '05 wing are suddenly no longer canceling themselves. They still work, but they no longer shut off until I shut them off. Does anyone have any thoughts on how difficult or easy this might be to repair? I'm not exactly the world's greatest wrench so if it's anything beyond an easy/basic fix, I'll probably need to end up taking it to my dealership.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice or suggestions you may offer.

Best REgards,

Steve (from NYC).

·
Registered
464 Posts
The first place I would look is under the front fairing. Up over the top of the front tire to the bottom of the triple tree is a metal braket that hooks between the triple tree and the frame. Very easy to see just looking up under the fairing above the front fender. You may find that you lost that bolt that holds the actuator arm for the turn canceller. I got a replacement at Ace Hardware but I don't remember the size. I do remember that I found the size looking at HAL's site in the oem parts fiche. It's a very common allen head hex bolt but metric. Just remember to use locktite on it or you get to do this all over again in a while.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmmmmm....what a great idea for those who are annoyed with the premature cancellation of the signals - change them to manual! :shock:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Now you have me re-reading your post. They never cancel? The problem I had and fixed with the bolt was that they wouldn't cancel after making a turn but would time out and cancel down the road a little.

Yeah if you find what broke, I suspect the electronic turn cancel unit, then there are probably some who would like to break theirs and revert them to manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now you have me re-reading your post. They never cancel? The problem I had and fixed with the bolt was that they wouldn't cancel after making a turn but would time out and cancel down the road a little.

Yeah if you find what broke, I suspect the electronic turn cancel unit, then there are probably some who would like to break theirs and revert them to manual.
Hi WW91,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to get on the bike, so I'll double check, but it seemed to me the last time I was riding--when I first noticed the problem--that they're not canceling at all, regardless of whether or not I'm making a turn.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The first rule of troubleshooting is do the easy stuff first. I had the same thing happen to me. After my senior moment wherein I removed half the fairing I finally looked in the steering stem. If you lift the meter panel and remove the handle center cover you should see some wires goimg down through the center of the stem. in there is a plug. Check this plug. Mine was loose and my best guess was it wasn't properly connected at the factory. It's oriented vertically and the jars and jolts the front takes can dislodge this plug ever so slightly. Mine worked but like yours wouldn't cancel. Hope this helps!

LAW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts