GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some1 help me please with trying to figure out what could be wrong with turn signals ..??? I already change the relay switch I already check the fuses....

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
What are the "turn signals" doing OR not doing???

Ronnie

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
What are they doing/not doing? What happens when you slide the switch? Same both ways? If you describe the issue, someone will be along very shortly to help! It happens well here.

:thumbup:

Captron beat me! Great minds!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats just it nothing is happening and I already replace the relay flasher and my front turn signals are switch back nothing is working my dog lights work all my head lights work

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Do the marker lights in the mirrors go out on the indicated side when you turn the switch? (Or are they even on when the switch is in the middle?)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Sorry, had the grandkids show up... looks like you have aftermarket led flasher. Where is that flasher located? Don’t know if it replaced the original? Is it the relay or the flasher or both you changed out? LED’s added into the system have a tendency to introduce glitches... You should have running lights when the turn switch is in neutral position. These questions should get things started, and I’ll pull a wiring diagram up and see if we can figure something out. Do you have a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it?

We’ll see what we can do to get started. Techdude May come out of hiding and if so, he is the guru...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I see the Kuryakyn windshield trim with parking lights on. Do these directional lights work? I believe you just installed this part and had to install an extra harness/adapter. I would recheck all this work first.

Directional lights themselves are SoCalMotoGear replacements. They should have white daytime running lights with key on and then sequential directional lights.

Do you have the installation instructions for these aftermarket parts? Do you have the original turn signal assemblies that could be reinstalled?

Where they working correctly and then quit or have they not worked at all since installation? If they worked at first, how long before they quit?

Since they are not working as DRL, the problem is not the flasher. These require external power over and above the normal harness in the mirrors. I expect the Honda harness is fine if the Kuryakyn trim is working correctly as they plug into that same harness. Check the plugs where they connect to the Kury harness and the Honda harness and make sure each individual wire is pushed all the way in. Find where the aftermarket lights are getting power and check that connection and the harness for power using a test light.

Also, these lights have another wire that connects left and right lights. Make sure this is properly connected and hasn't been pinched by the windshield garnish.

You're in Pennsylvania. Anyone close by?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Could be the turn signal cancel unit has been fried, the Goldwing turn signal cancel units are very sensitive to changes in the circuit and have been known to get toasted when adding after market flashers and such.

Techdude helped me out when a friend of mine toasted his when he installed a plug and play trailer wiring kit. That cancel unit has a small microprocessor that is very voltage and ground sensitive, it is located at the bottom of the steering stem, you have to pull the instrument panel to gain access to the connector, after disconnecting it you drop the assembly down thru the steering stem then reverse the process for install. The unit costs about $150.00, so you want to be sure you have cleared the fault before plugging in the new one or you will toast the new one immediately.

I am pretty sure there is a test procedure for it, I will have to look in my shop manual and get back to you on that.

Tell us if you had just finished installing something when you noticed it or did it work one day and then not the next. If t happened after installing some accessory, try disconnecting that accessory and see if they work again.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Could be the turn signal cancel unit has been fried, the Goldwing turn signal cancel units are very sensitive to changes in the circuit and have been known to get toasted when adding after market flashers and such.

Techdude helped me out when a friend of mine toasted his when he installed a plug and play trailer wiring kit. That cancel unit has a small microprocessor that is very voltage and ground sensitive, it is located at the bottom of the steering stem, you have to pull the instrument panel to gain access to the connector, after disconnecting it you drop the assembly down thru the steering stem then reverse the process for install. The unit costs about $150.00, so you want to be sure you have cleared the fault before plugging in the new one or you will toast the new one immediately.

I am pretty sure there is a test procedure for it, I will have to look in my shop manual and get back to you on that.

Tell us if you had just finished installing something when you noticed it or did it work one day and then not the next. If t happened after installing some accessory, try disconnecting that accessory and see if they work again.
Steve,

On another recent thread he talked about installing that windshield trim but had the wrong plugs and it wouldn't work. He said he ordered correct plug but didn't report back if that fixed the problem. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/443747-2008-windshield-trim.html

Would it be the cancel unit since the mirror lights are not on as running lights but the trim piece is?

He also installed the Kury lights that go on the rear of the speaker housings and had some issues. Not sure if that is related or has been fixed. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/444241-lights.html

He also reported that the NAV display was not working. Not sure if that has been fixed or is related.

Andy

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
If he comes back, he needs to try the hazards. If they work, then it’s not the flasher relay. If the hazards don’t work, his accessory power circuit is most likely the culprit causing the dead flasher and a dead Nav unit. Start with the accessory fuse. The mirror position lights are not on in his picture, which indicates an issue with the tail light power or an issue with his wiring or the switch back circuit. Answers to questions is required at this point.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If he comes back, he needs to try the hazards. If they work, then it’s not the flasher relay. If the hazards don’t work, his accessory power circuit is most likely the culprit causing the dead flasher and a dead Nav unit. Start with the accessory fuse. The mirror position lights are not on in his picture, which indicates an issue with the tail light power or an issue with his wiring or the switch back circuit. Answers to questions is required at this point.
Thanks for popping in guys... my experience is severely lacking as it relates to LED circuits and the problems related, so this is probably over my pay grade! My involvement was to basically get the facts on the table so some of you guys could start with a bit of background...

Will be watching and learning!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Steve,

On another recent thread he talked about installing that windshield trim but had the wrong plugs and it wouldn't work. He said he ordered correct plug but didn't report back if that fixed the problem. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/443747-2008-windshield-trim.html

Would it be the cancel unit since the mirror lights are not on as running lights but the trim piece is?

He also installed the Kury lights that go on the rear of the speaker housings and had some issues. Not sure if that is related or has been fixed. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/444241-lights.html

He also reported that the NAV display was not working. Not sure if that has been fixed or is related.

Andy
Great questions Andy... Phillip?

Have you tried the 4 way flashers? Have you replaced the flasher unit? If you want help, you need to answer the questions asked.... ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone in here no my display isnt working no navigation no radio and no turn signals or haz

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Hi everyone in here no my display isnt working no navigation no radio and no turn signals or haz

Check the fuse labeled “radio/CB/flasher” and the accessory relay labeled “20A ACC”, second one from the left end of the front rail of relays. That’s the left side sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in pa were may i ask I could purchase thease relays any familiar sites online???

1 - 20 of 103 Posts