GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. About a week ago I noticed that when I hit the brakes, front or rear, my turn signals on the dashboard would light up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You will need to give it bypass surgery. The white connector under the seat near the rear. Just put a jumper in for the SINGLE ground which is not adequate for the load.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
In my case the problem (open / high resistance) was not in the connector, but somewhere between the connector and ground (G1). I ran a separate ground wire for this signal and that fixed the problem.

Ron

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
In my case the problem (open / high resistance) was not in the connector, but somewhere between the connector and ground (G1). I ran a separate ground wire for this signal and that fixed the problem.

Ron
I remember that, yours is the second one that had the wire break or burn open between the connector and G1. Can’t remember who or which board it was on. Definitely rare, but always a possibility.:nerd:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Had this issue about 4 years ago for the first time, both turn signal dash indicators would light up when I applied the brakes, well after reading the great information on this board i took the 14 pin plug apart, sprayed it with some contact cleaner, slightly bent the ground pin and put it back together, it worked perfectly !
Well about 4 years later the problem started to come back while on a trip, I kept heading for home and the issue slowly kept getting worse.
At home now so took it apart to take a look, sprayed it with contact cleaner and that fixed it for about 1 minute then it came back, so I bent the ground pin a little more and the problem seems to be fixed again, hopefully it lasts but if it doesn’t I will do the jumper wire thing.

My cruise control also quit working yesterday, I suspect it’s also related to the issue with this 14 pin plug but it’s raining here so I haven’t taken it out for a test ride to see if that’s fixed.

·
Registered
883 Posts
@cycledude "My cruise control also quit working yesterday, I suspect it’s also related to the issue with this 14 pin plug but it’s raining here so I haven’t taken it out for a test ride to see if that’s fixed."

Yep. I think you'll find that cruise now works.

Ron

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
@cycledude "My cruise control also quit working yesterday, I suspect it’s also related to the issue with this 14 pin plug but it’s raining here so I haven’t taken it out for a test ride to see if that’s fixed."

Yep. I think you'll find that cruise now works.

Ron
Finally quit raining so took it for a test ride and the cruise control is working again.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Had a similar problem recently with my 03 trike. Checked the conn and could find no problem. No corrosion, no broken wire, etc. Condition still showed up intermittently. After looking at the connector real close, I found that the female ground lead was just a little short and not always making full contact with the male pin. The pin appeared to be fully seated, just not at the correct level. I was able to bend the male pin a little and it makes better contact. However, one more episode and the jumper goes in.!! It is amazing how many lights are affected by that one wire. :surprise:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Honda under rated the ground to the rear of the bike. I converted to quality LED bulb replacements reducing the load "squeezing" through the ground wire. On my 2006, I ended up adding a new ground to each bag and the trunk because I had no lights at all on the back for lack of a functional ground. There were no melted plugs or broken wires anywhere to be found. Be glad it is not a trike as some trike kits make the problem worse. There are a few trike installers that have long known this and run their own ground to beef up the load potential. The ones that don't eventually experience this issue.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Finally quit raining so took it for a test ride and the cruise control is working again.
:thumbup:
That’s good, when the ground is bad it causes power to go through the bulbs and “float” on the ground wire and this can trick the cruise control into “thinking” the brake lights are on, which kills the cruise. :grin2:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Well I’ve had issues with this connector a few different times, the first time was about four years ago, that time I simply unplugged the connector and reached inside to slightly bend the little tab so it made better contact, after that it worked perfect for about 3 years.
last fall it started failing to work again so I was back in there bending that little tab again, eventually got it working properly again but it only lasted a few thousand miles and yesterday it quit working again. So this time I stripped a couple inches of insulation off a 16 gauge wire and cut off two little strands of wire, twisted them together to make one strand and then slipped them inside the connector where the green ground wires slip together, so far it’s working perfectly. I suspect with the extra wire in there now the ground is making better contact and hopefully it will keep working.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Well it quit working again today so I’m going to have to figure out a better way to fix it.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
So I could just cut the green wire completely off on both sides of the plug and then solder the jumper wire in between ? If that’s the case that’s most likely what I will do. Yes I do believe the issue is caused by a poor connection inside the plug and nowhere else. Do you happen to know exactly what gauge that green wire is ?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
So I could just cut the green wire completely off on both sides of the plug and then solder the jumper wire in between ? If that’s the case that’s most likely what I will do. Yes I do believe the issue is caused by a poor connection inside the plug and nowhere else.
Yes. Waldo put a bullet connector on the jumper so it could still be disconnected it needed, but a solid jumper will bypass the bad connection entirely and stop any future issues with the ground in that connector.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Well this morning I took the seat off to take a look, the turn signals would light up any time the brakes were touched, so then I pinched the plug together slightly with my fingers and everything started working properly so I still believe the problem was inside the plug.
i cut the green wires off the plug and soldered in about 6 inches of jumper wire so there is enough slack Incase I ever need to take the plug apart. I’m pretty sure this will fix it permanently but only time and miles will tell for sure. Thanks Techdude and everyone for all your help !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts