GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than how they look, what, if any, are the changes in engine performance, mpg, sound, etc. ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have the turn down tips and there is no change in MPG, sound, or performance. There is nothing changed except the tip. The muffler and the rest of the exhaust stays the same.

Just an FYI: If you've had the stock tips on the bike for a couple years, you may need to drill out the screws holding the tips. Mine were all rusty then broke when I applied some pressure. After drilling, I had to use a tap and "chase the threads". Penetrating oil overnight did not help loosen things up at all.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
They are for looks and looks only.

That's not entirely true! They do serve a function if you have a homemade pack it type rack that just happens to end up at the right (or wrong) height to have the exhaust hit your luggage. Don't need to ask how I know these things, I just do <G>.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pondering some type of rear storage trunk like a Pakit-Rak or a GIVI trunk and don't want to melt whatever I choose to put on.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The downward pipes offer a useful function....street sweeping.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Actually there is a difference in sound as well (deeper Not louder)
Very noticeable when riding beside another 1800

·
Registered
510 Posts
I swap my turndowns with the stock exhaust tips and vice versa once in a while maybe once a year depending on which style i decide I like at the time and it seems to me, at least from the drivers seat, that the exhaust note has a little deeper tone to it with the turndowns on. I thought maybe it had something to do with the noise being aimed a little towards the ground and sort of reflecting back rather than all being shot to the rear with the stock tips on.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
They are for looks and looks only.
I disagree! I have turndowns and they give a nice rumble on the downshift! They sound a little more throaty when accelerating, too! It sounds great! They also deflect hot exhaust away from my PackitRack! But best of all, they look awesome!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I put the turn downs on just because I didn't want the exhaust pouring out right onto the front of the trailer mile after mile after mile. I do notice a tiny bit deeper, mellower exhaust note. Not objectionable at all.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I notice that my trailer is quite a bit cleaner, no carbon tracks anymore. When I first pulled the trailer without turndowns, the back of the bike seemed to have quite a bit of grime, sort of a black film. That went away when I out them on.

·
Registered
539 Posts
When I use and my pakit rak or trailer the turn downs definitly keep the equipment cleaner. Also wife likes the way the turn downs looks and that is ok too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Put turn downs on mine just to keep the exhaust off of my Rivco rack.....which they do but the exhaust note has a much deeper tone to it and thye look great...a nice plus.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have one bike with and one bike without. There is definitely a difference in sound. Tips are throatier...no question! Not too sure which I like the best though. JMHO

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
On one of the Rockies-Gold rides, my waterproof bag hung over my Chrisco rack. The direct exhaust melted the bag and ruined 2 pair of socks. Problem solved with turned down tips.

Be aware that the turned down tips are slightly longer than the straights and will drag when doing wheelies. :lol:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I percieved the sound diffrence to be more of a quieting effect when behind the bike as the sound is directed down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts