GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....It appears the bike is in a self learning mode....

Scenario #1: (Three Turns)

1. Come to a parking spot
  2. Put bike into neutral
  3. Turn on/off switch knob one turn
  4. Engine Shuts off put dash stays lite
  5. Turn on/off switch knob one more turn
  6. Dash goes dark
  7. Turn on/off switch knob one more turn
  8. Bike locks front wheel
Scenario #2: (TwoTurns)

1. Come to a parking spot
  2. Put bike into neutral
  3. Turn on/off switch knob one turn
  4. Engine Shuts off & dash goes dark
  5. Turn on/off switch knob one more turn
  6. Bike locks front wheel
Question: Why does it sometimes take three turns and sometimes two turns....I can't figure out the sequence of events....anyone else have this challenge...

BTW...the bike turns off immediately if I say Dam-it....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thats odd. I come to a stop, put bike in neutral, press the on/off red switch, turn the bars to the left all the way, and 2 CCW turns of the knob. beep sounds.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
If the bike is on the centerstand sometimes the viscous coupling action in the transmission will allow the rear wheel to turn. If the rear wheel is moving the engine will shut off but it will leave the bike powered on when you turn the key off.

Also, if the FOB is not detected when you turn the key off, it will shut off the engine but leave it powered on.

In both scenarios the bike can be restarted without the FOB being present, and it will also drain the battery flat in very short order if you walk away and leave it powered up.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Great explanation Fred!

I have yet to have my lights/accessories stay on unexpectedly when I use the switch to get the three beeps denoting "lock mode", no matter if I have or have not set the bars to lock position.

prs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great explanation Fred!

I have yet to have my lights/accessories stay on unexpectedly when I use the switch to get the three beeps denoting "lock mode", no matter if I have or have not set the bars to lock position.

prs
Please correct me if I'm wrong but my experience has been three beeps occurs if bars are not all the way to left and don't lock. One beep is heard when they are all the way and lock. Easy test is to try to move bars back right once beep(s) are heard. If they move more than slightly it's not locked.

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but my experience has been three beeps occurs if bars are not all the way to left and don't lock. One beep is heard when they are all the way and lock. Easy test is to try to move bars back right once beep(s) are heard. If they move more than slightly it's not locked.
You are correct.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...Maybe I am not turning off the bike properly.... after putting it into neutral...I shut the engine off via the center knob not the Red Kill switch.....

Which button should be used?

I think Fred might have hit on the nail on the head...I notice that if I wait a little longer to turn off the bike it only takes two turns...but if I come to a stop in the garage and quickly turn off the bike ( I do this so the wife doesn't know I was out bike riding verse cutting the lawn :wink2:) via center knob I have to most likely turn it three times....

Given all the posts...I always double check the on / off state of the bike

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ok...Maybe I am not turning off the bike properly.... after putting it into neutral...I shut the engine off via the center knob not the Red Kill switch.....

Which button should be used?

I think Fred might have hit on the nail on the head...I notice that if I wait a little longer to turn off the bike it only takes two turns...but if I come to a stop in the garage and quickly turn off the bike ( I do this so the wife doesn't know I was out bike riding verse cutting the lawn :wink2:) via center knob I have to most likely turn it three times....

Given all the posts...I always double check the on / off state of the bike

Yes, use the center button but ONLY after the rear wheel has come to a complete stop. As you shut it down, I suggest that you watch your dash shut off completely.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Yes, one beep if the bars are actually locked. Three longer beeps followed by five quickly paced short beeps is not locked. It does not matter in regard to assuring the bike is fully off.

prs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts