GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike many I guess, I don't like GPS voice prompts. For me it makes following directions worse sometimes. On all my other bikes and GPS's I have them turned off.

On my '18, I like to listen to music from a USB stick. If I have a route in the GPS, it interrupts the music to let me know of turns, directions, mileage, etc. The constant interruption is annoying. I have turned the GPS volume down to "0" but it still mutes the music when giving directions. Is there a "do not allow voice commands" on the GPS, like on every other bike and GPS I have?

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Good question here: As I sometimes feel the same way..and wished that it didn't talk as much, BUMMER!!!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
12 Posts
The navigation volume is separate from radio volume. Set the nav. volume to zero.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The navigation volume is separate from radio volume. Set the nav. volume to zero.
Perhaps you did not read my full post, but I have already set the Nav volume to zero. However, the GPS when on a track will still interrupt the music with commands, even though I can't hear them. Thank you for the thought though. ;)

Reactions: crossmanx

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Unlike many I guess, I don't like GPS voice prompts. For me it makes following directions worse sometimes. On all my other bikes and GPS's I have them turned off.
I agree. I don't want or need verbal directions, I can see them on the screen! This is probably the only thing on the new Gen Wing that I've not been able to find a work-around for. The interruptions to the music or CB is very distracting and it just pisses me off that such an easy fix hasn't been made in an update. Harmin Kardon also made the GPS for my 2017 Subaru which had the same problem. I traded the Subaru and (Ironically) bought a Honda Pilot with a Garmin GPS. No such problems with the Honda/Garmin system.

·
Banned
435 Posts
I agree. I don't want or need verbal directions, I can see them on the screen! This is probably the only thing on the new Gen Wing that I've not been able to find a work-around for. The interruptions to the music or CB is very distracting and it just pisses me off that such an easy fix hasn't been made in an update. Harmin Kardon also made the GPS for my 2017 Subaru which had the same problem. I traded the Subaru and (Ironically) bought a Honda Pilot with a Garmin GPS. No such problems with the Honda/Garmin system.
CarPlay lets you have active routes with no voice guidance.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That may be, but I will never buy an Apple product until they stop opposing an owners "right to repair".

·
Banned
435 Posts
That may be, but I will never buy an Apple product until they stop opposing an owners "right to repair".
Microsoft opposes right to repair, so you must not use Windows. Which Linux distro do you prefer? Or do you prefer more retro warez? OS/2? BeOS?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Microsoft opposes right to repair, so you must not use Windows. Which Linux distro do you prefer? Or do you prefer more retro warez? OS/2? BeOS?
Right to repair isn't a Software/Firmware issue. Right to repair is the issue that when you buy a product, it is yours. Should the product fail, a consumer should have to right to seek any means possible to have it repaired. There are thousands of small businesses who specialize in repairing products that large corporations deem unrepairable, or worse, unprofitable.

The consumer should have the right to pursue repair, wherever and however they like, for a failed product. Especially, if that piece of hardware contains personal data, such as pictures, music or email that the consumer may want to retain. I can do that with my Laptop or any other device running Windows or Android.

However, Apple has demonstrated they are willing to sue any non-approved vendor who offers repair or recovery services for Apple products. Check out some of the Apple lawsuits, such as the one in Norway for the guy who simply repaired cracked screens, or the company in NY who repairs electrically failed Apple systems, or the company in Virginia, I believe, that recovers lost pictures and data from devices that have failed. This is after Apple has said that repair or recovery was impossible. All these companies have been sued by Apple. These companies are not 1,000+ employee fortune 500 companies, so fighting a lawsuit (right or wrong) can put them out of business.

Apple now uses anti-tamper screws they developed themselves their hardware. They now have begun gluing batteries on to the motherboard that will damage this system if an attempt is made to remove. This, for no other reason then to prevent removal, so a battery failure necessitates a new system.

Most Apple consumers I know are zealots and will return to Apple even after being treated this way. I choose not to be part of that group think, until Apple has changed their position. I wrote this to explain why I said what I said, but not to argue. So, you can respond but, as Forest Gump said, this is all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
GPS is ranked higher on the interrupt hierarchy than music, so yes, even with the nav volume on 0, gps instructions will interrupt with dead space in the music. Annoying yes. But unless the software/firmware is rewritten, we just live with it.

Unlike some, I want that interruption to get my attention. Again, unlike some, I infrequently listen to music while riding. I used to have it on all the time, but as I grow older, I can concentrate on fewer things simultaneously so I just concentrate on riding now. Also, riding a Wing, it’s hard to know the engine is running while music is playing in the headset. I sometimes need to look at the tach.

iPhone, Sena 30K, CarPlay with Google, and Garmin 595LM.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
True, except....
1. Unable to load or build custom routes into CarPlay.
2. Navigating when cellular service is unavailable.
3. Limited to Apple products.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I like to keep my eyes on the road, so I need the voice prompts to tell me when to glance at the display.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like to keep my eyes on the road, so I need the voice prompts to tell me when to glance at the display.
Take an alternate route and see how much your music is interrupted. It is non-stop and super annoying. ("In 1/4 of a mile make a U-Turn if possible," repeat, ad nauseam.) I've gotten so annoyed I've cancelled navigation and then reset it at the next stop if it is still needed. A few trips I just stopped using it for that reason. I still have a phone, a tablet, and dead reckoning if needed.
Don't get me wrong, I think that the navigation is much improved from its initial release, but it still has a long way to go. It is much more useful combined with the Honda Trip Planner site. It still needs some serious work though.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Take an alternate route and see how much your music is interrupted. It is non-stop and super annoying. ("In 1/4 of a mile make a U-Turn if possible," repeat, ad nauseam.) I've gotten so annoyed I've cancelled navigation and then reset it at the next stop if it is still needed. A few trips I just stopped using it for that reason. I still have a phone, a tablet, and dead reckoning if needed.
Don't get me wrong, I think that the navigation is much improved from its initial release, but it still has a long way to go. It is much more useful combined with the Honda Trip Planner site. It still needs some serious work though.
Why wouldn't you just delete the point you've decided not to visit (or was on wrong side of road, or whatever)?

Easy to do, on the fly.

It'll give a route to the next point and you'll be back to 'regular programming'.
Probably less work that stopping routing and restarting at next route and then deleteng the points already passed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have been repairing Apple products for years and never have heard anything about lawsuits against repair shops. I no longer work on phones due vision and dexterity issues ( I have gotten old ). I will continue to repair Apple laptops and their All in Ones so long as I can get the parts or until Apple tells me otherwise. Seems that the Navigation programs should all have a method to turn off the unneeded voice instructions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Why wouldn't you just delete the point you've decided not to visit (or was on wrong side of road, or whatever)?

Easy to do, on the fly.

It'll give a route to the next point and you'll be back to 'regular programming'.
Probably less work that stopping routing and restarting at next route and then deleteng the points already passed.
I have to do exactly that, far too often. Apparently this GPS hates shaping points.
Most of the time I can do this, but sometimes I can't, for numerous reasons. I had this happen on a ToH in NM a few weeks back. I also had two issues with it taking me miles out of my way and then back to the point I wanted. Once I didn't catch it, the second time I did. I then had to watch every point after that, but it didn't happen again. That was 1536 miles in two days...I really wasn't amused and haven't figured out what was happening yet. It took me to the correct point, but I had to go well past it and do a U-Turn...that's silly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
True, except....

1. Unable to load or build custom routes into CarPlay.
Not true, there are many ways to use custom routes in CarPlay compatible apps. Just use a CarPlay app that can import a route.

2. Navigating when cellular service is unavailable. .
This is what offline maps are for. I have 4 different apps that have offline maps - and there are also ways to do it using AppleMaps or Google Maps as well. There are dozens of offline map apps in the App Store.

3. Limited to Apple products.

I can’t help you with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can’t help you with that one.
Doesn't help me at all, since all I wanted to know is if there was a way to mute voice commands from the Honda GPS. I guess that "feature" will go on my wish list for upgrades from Harmon/Honda.

Reactions: gkarasik
1 - 20 of 20 Posts