GL1800Riders Forums banner

Turning off GPS Voice Commands

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jfink 
#1 ·
Unlike many I guess, I don't like GPS voice prompts. For me it makes following directions worse sometimes. On all my other bikes and GPS's I have them turned off.

On my '18, I like to listen to music from a USB stick. If I have a route in the GPS, it interrupts the music to let me know of turns, directions, mileage, etc. The constant interruption is annoying. I have turned the GPS volume down to "0" but it still mutes the music when giving directions. Is there a "do not allow voice commands" on the GPS, like on every other bike and GPS I have?

#3 ·
Good question here: As I sometimes feel the same way..and wished that it didn't talk as much, BUMMER!!!!

Ronnie

#4 ·
The navigation volume is separate from radio volume. Set the nav. volume to zero.

#5 ·
Perhaps you did not read my full post, but I have already set the Nav volume to zero. However, the GPS when on a track will still interrupt the music with commands, even though I can't hear them. Thank you for the thought though. ;)

Reactions: crossmanx
#6 ·
Unlike many I guess, I don't like GPS voice prompts. For me it makes following directions worse sometimes. On all my other bikes and GPS's I have them turned off.
I agree. I don't want or need verbal directions, I can see them on the screen! This is probably the only thing on the new Gen Wing that I've not been able to find a work-around for. The interruptions to the music or CB is very distracting and it just pisses me off that such an easy fix hasn't been made in an update. Harmin Kardon also made the GPS for my 2017 Subaru which had the same problem. I traded the Subaru and (Ironically) bought a Honda Pilot with a Garmin GPS. No such problems with the Honda/Garmin system.

#11 ·
GPS is ranked higher on the interrupt hierarchy than music, so yes, even with the nav volume on 0, gps instructions will interrupt with dead space in the music. Annoying yes. But unless the software/firmware is rewritten, we just live with it.

Unlike some, I want that interruption to get my attention. Again, unlike some, I infrequently listen to music while riding. I used to have it on all the time, but as I grow older, I can concentrate on fewer things simultaneously so I just concentrate on riding now. Also, riding a Wing, it’s hard to know the engine is running while music is playing in the headset. I sometimes need to look at the tach.

iPhone, Sena 30K, CarPlay with Google, and Garmin 595LM.

#14 ·
Take an alternate route and see how much your music is interrupted. It is non-stop and super annoying. ("In 1/4 of a mile make a U-Turn if possible," repeat, ad nauseam.) I've gotten so annoyed I've cancelled navigation and then reset it at the next stop if it is still needed. A few trips I just stopped using it for that reason. I still have a phone, a tablet, and dead reckoning if needed.
Don't get me wrong, I think that the navigation is much improved from its initial release, but it still has a long way to go. It is much more useful combined with the Honda Trip Planner site. It still needs some serious work though.

#16 ·
I have been repairing Apple products for years and never have heard anything about lawsuits against repair shops. I no longer work on phones due vision and dexterity issues ( I have gotten old ). I will continue to repair Apple laptops and their All in Ones so long as I can get the parts or until Apple tells me otherwise. Seems that the Navigation programs should all have a method to turn off the unneeded voice instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.