GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to deactivate the key fob if it is being stored away from the bike, with no communication with the bike?

·
Registered
794 Posts
No.
Some people turn it off when it is away from the bike in the belief that the cr2032 battery inside will last longer.
Sometimes I turn it off, sometimes I don't, but it isn't necessary to do so.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I really don’t know if it is necessary or not but I guess I just wonder what is your reason to keep it turned on? Why keep it on if you are not going to be riding for a while.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Haven't turned off my fob on my 2018 since I bought it in 2018. I also don't turn off my car fob. (It doesn't have an on/off switch)

·
Registered
178 Posts
There are devices that can read a keyfob and act as a transmitter to start the bike, so if your key is in the house and your bike is parked in the driveway (or car for that matter). it's possible to start.
I generally turn mine off when it's in the house

·
Registered
347 Posts
My fob battery lasted a little over 2 years and I don’t think it ever left the cubbie.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Takes 2 seconds to turn it off, why not?
I don't turn it off to save the battery, I do so as a safety measure........a thief finds the Fob and he takes your Wing.
With it off most people (thieves) would have no idea how to turn it on or that it even has that function.
It's become second nature now to turn it off....

I keep the Fobs in the garage so it's convenient if I need it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The only way a thief will get my Fob is to take it from around my neck on my cold dead body.:cool:

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are devices that can read a keyfob and act as a transmitter to start the bike, so if your key is in the house and your bike is parked in the driveway (or car for that matter). it's possible to start.
I generally turn mine off when it's in the house
They could also access your luggage compartments with one of those devices. When I’m on a trip staying in hotels I make sure and turn my fob off.
With car/motorcycle fobs without switches I have heard of people keeping theirs in a microwave oven which will act as a Faraday cage. Just don’t forget 😳

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Too many people have watched "Gone is 60 Seconds" :D

Reactions: SeaDogActual

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I never turned my fob off until recently. I have the LED entry light option and I noticed every time I passed through the garage the LED entry light was lit. Only thing that has changed recently is that I park my bike closer to where I hang my keys. I guess where the keys are hanging is at the threshold of where the bike can communicate that I'm near the bike causing it to spazz out. So I have three options, leave the keys on the bike, take the keys into the kitchen or just turn off the fob and not worry about the bike LEDs coming on again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I always turn mine off out of habit. Within a month of getting my holdover 18GW, the key fob light came up on the dash telling me that the battery was at end of life and needed replacement. I tested the battery with a battery tester and the tester said it was good, but the bike was not satisfied. Rather than wasting more time on a $2 battery, I replaced it and the bike was happy again.

Point of story - the bike will tell you if the key fob battery is weak so you won't get stuck - if you replace the battery that is....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine has only been off once in two years, I sat on it. Took me a bit to get the bike started.
My key is kept far from the bike when not being used. They cant talk.
Just like my car fob, if they take the car/bike without it, once it is turned off, it wont start again....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts