GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to back off of my earlier posted opinion that an on-off switch on the (keyless) fob is unnecessary. See the attached snippet I pulled from the Nov/Dec issue of AARP. Apparently tech-savvy crims can amplify the fob signal to start a bike (it says it's possible anyway). How likely that is is anyone's guess but there it is in black and white. FYI. I like the recommendation to use tinfoil, which somebody suggested last week--good call! ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
So I need to back off of my earlier posted opinion that an on-off switch on the (keyless) fob is unnecessary. See the attached snippet I pulled from the Nov/Dec issue of AARP. Apparently tech-savvy crims can amplify the fob signal to start a bike (it says it's possible anyway). How likely that is is anyone's guess but there it is in black and white. FYI. I like the recommendation to use tinfoil, which somebody suggested last week--good call! ;-)
One of our local TV news stations recently did a report on using aluminum foil, bottom line, it didn't work to block the signal. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Steeling someone's motorcycle- There's gotta be an "app" for that!

It's getting scary, how easy it is to rip somebody off now a days.........

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I've owned lots of cars, trucks and motorcycles, but I've never had the pleasure of driving a vehicle with Push Button Start (FOB) and I plan to avoid it for as long a possible.

I'm currently shopping for a new truck and I found a beautiful 2019 Toyota Tacoma (V6) that I like. It starts with a key. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but using a key has never been a problem for me. JMO.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
We keep all our keys in a dedicated drawer in a metal toolbox that’s located on the way in and out of the house. So it looks like we are doing the right thing. We have for years.

I did have a neighbor that had their new all electrical car stolen and the thieves didn’t have a FOB. Also have neighbors that have had their cars “gone through” without the FOBs and they were locked.

I’m old school and prefer keys. I think they are actually more convenient.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Key 4 me 2

last week wife and I were on a vacation in Fla. and rented a new car with a FOB..............Being not used to it, we both decided that the key is way better.....

Ronnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts