GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my top shelter off right now and I'm staring right at the cruise control adjustment. My cruise lags for about three seconds, dropping about five mph before kicking back in and bringing me back up to the set speed.

I haven't been successful tweaking it while the bike is together. I'd like to make an adjustment that will get me a little closer to zero lag without the trial and error.

Give me your best guesses on how many turns and tell me if I'm making the cable longer or shorter.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Mine took 3 and 1/2 turns out (make the adjustment barrel longer). Spot on now for the last 4 yrs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searches

I just did some searching that I should have done first and discover a good thread on the subject.

Thanks for the response(s), sorry for any duplication. I would've deleted my post but I didn't want to orphan John's reply.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cruise can be adjusted? My 2005 lagged about five miles before catching up; now my 2012 literally leaps in the air as if I fully twisted the throttle before slowing down (no matter how fast I'm going). It speeds up about 6 MPH but finally slows down to 2-3 MPH faster than I was going. I've been activating it under my desired speed but my wife hates when I engage it. If this can be adjusted, I need to visit my dealer (not confortable removing the center cover with the airbag in place - don't know enough about it and there's no service manuals available yet)...

J.D.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
You can start the bike with the top shelter off. Start the bike and let it run until it drops to normal idle RPM's. then turn the barrel nut out until the RPM'S speed up a little, then turn the nut back in until the RPM'S drop to normal., Tighten it up and your set. No guessing involved.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Instead of guessing and/or using the adjustment that fixed other peoples' bikes, I would suggest you use the procedure called out in the maintenance manual. Adjust the cable to line up the marks on the ferrules and you are "guaranteed" to be correct.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
... Adjust the cable to line up the marks on the ferrules and you are "guaranteed" to be correct.
Nope. Using the procedure shown in the manual is no guarantee. On my Wing it got me close, but not close enough. I used 'trial and error' to make it perfect.

I've not used the method Joe suggests, but it sounds like a good place to start. It sounds like it will either be right-on, or need very little tweaking.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The technique described by Joe works pretty good. I've had to make that adjustment twice and both times had the same result: after adjusting the barrel length back to get the engine back to idle speed, the cruise control was set just a little high. Both times I took one more turn out of the adjustment and the cruise was set right on. Maybe next time I will remember that and take that last turn out as part of the initial adjustment. Seems like both adjustments ended up being around 5 full turns from the initial position.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine took almost 7 turns!...The lining up of the arrows/marks was no where near correct. Took off the top shelter, secured loose articles, put tray in upright position and took it for a ride. Adjusted it two or three times and it's now perfect.

·
Registered
251 Posts
tweaking cruise control

J.D.the cruise cable on an air bag is under the black plastic cover on the right side of the steering stem and you don't have to remove anything just loosen up the screws on the Ign. pry up that black plastic piece,you'll see the cable...in your case its to tight(long)shorten it up about 3-4 turns and ride it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts