GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a nice warm (mid 60's) bluebird day recently. Checked out the DCT Tour and headed for the mountains. I was solo, and dropped tire pressure a few pounds each tire. Nice twisty for about 6 + miles with no houses or side roads and it was abandoned. Did not even see bear or deer or turkey. Oh my poor tires! ;-) This one is steep up one side and also down the other; 5 almost switch back type curves on one side and 4 on the other, plus lots of other curves. Pavement? Fair to poor plus some gravel and/or water here and there, in the sharpest curves of course.

Got to the gap at the top on my first "inspection run" and pulled over to adjust my brake lever, it was set on "2", but that is too far out for me to easily reach with pinkie and second finger for "trail braking". I use thumb, index and middle finger to throttle. Set it all the way in at "5" (took me awhile to remember to push the lever forward before turning the adjuster, DUH). Better, but I wish it had a "6" or even a "7". Much better, anyway. On with a couple of "inspection" runs.

Oh BOY! The DCT will boogie and the front brake really does clamp down with even modest pressure. I had to practice some to get that light feel of the front brake as I lightly brake heading into the sharp curves, then fading away (trailing off) the brake pressure toward apex as I lean and get ready to open throttle. This in SPORT manual mode, and maybe that made it require more finesse'? I was not at all smooooth at first. A little different than my 2002 for sure. Another thing, probably a good one for such riding, the front brake does not seem to have much influence on the rear like the previous model does. The rear still effects the front similarly or even better than the previous model. This may be why some of us find the new edition more nimble.

If you like to and get to push it a bit in the mountain twisties, but like me you are still a bit green on this new bike; practice a good bit before you get too serious. It is consistent and trustworthy, but different than your previous Wing. Same thing if Old Man Winter has had you out of the seat for weeks or months, get the ring rust out of your muscle memory before go all ape on it.

prs

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Great words of "wisdom" here........*****Practice B4 you let loose*****
This just may save your bacon, someday......

Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Oh BOY! The DCT will boogie and the front brake really does clamp down with even modest pressure. I had to practice some to get that light feel of the front brake as I lightly brake heading into the sharp curves, then fading away (trailing off) the brake pressure toward apex as I lean and get ready to open throttle. This in SPORT manual mode, and maybe that made it require more finesse'? I was not at all smooooth at first. A little different than my 2002 for sure. Another thing, probably a good one for such riding, the front brake does not seem to have much influence on the rear like the previous model does. The rear still effects the front similarly or even better than the previous model. This may be why some of us find the new edition more nimble.

If you like to and get to push it a bit in the mountain twisties, but like me you are still a bit green on this new bike; practice a good bit before you get too serious. It is consistent and trustworthy, but different than your previous Wing. Same thing if Old Man Winter has had you out of the seat for weeks or months, get the ring rust out of your muscle memory before go all ape on it.

prs
Brake boost is supposed to be different in sport, vs the other modes.

Did you try any of the others for comparision?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use Sport mode only in Automatic mode, with exception to manually downshifting from 2nd to 1st ahead of very narrow right hairpins (e.g. Stilfserjoch). Compared to the 2012 model, I have to apply the brake twice as strong through such turns, and this works quite well.

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not recently, not this particular time; I did last year, but do not recall exact detail ---- what was your question again.....? lol

prs

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The brake bias is changed in the Sport mode. I'm finding that I like to control the transmission gear I'm in when on twisty roads, so I use the manual transmission mode a lot more these days.
Me too. Manual mode without blipping and it is smooth, other than the throttle being snappy in SPORT.

prs

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use Sport mode only in Automatic mode, with exception to manually downshifting from 2nd to 1st ahead of very narrow right hairpins (e.g. Stilfserjoch). Compared to the 2012 model, I have to apply the brake twice as strong through such turns, and this works quite well.
Stilfserjoch? you mean Stelvio? These hairpins tough to navigate with a clutch, let alone the auto...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes, Stelvio. It is awesome to accelerate in Sport auto mode after each hairpin. But I have to apply the foot brake quite forcibly in the right turns.

(BTW: the hairpins on the photo are the wider ones)
Yeah, the hardest part is the right uphill turn before the acceleration part. Italian hairpins are tight. I think Maghnen pass is the worst. Although beautiful roads around Gargnano (above lk. Garda).
But I prefer French and Swiss Alps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts