GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 Wing has a bad fork twitch when I lean her over and hit a bump or two. For instance, when I make a sharp right angle turn into the the slight upgrade leading into a gas station, the fork flex is instant and sharply felt.

I went higher on the air pressure to the monoshock in the rear to make sure that wasn't the problem. The extra air pressure - from 4lbs to 8lbs, helped only slightly in quelling the fork twitch. The ride also becomes too hard at the 8lb point.

I intend to get a good fork brace put on the Wing, hoping that will cure the problem.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a Wing has noticed a weakness in those front tubes?

(Yes, the mechanic says everything in the rear and front is tightened to factory specs.)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
How is the tire pressure?

Edit: If the stem bearing preload is too tight, the bearing is sticking, or if an aftermarket roller bearing is added with too much preload, it could result in the steering being twitchy.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The stock suspension isn't very good at all. I ran it at 25 solo and still had a light front end. A fork brace helped a bit.
Traxxion rebuild at both ends eliminated all twitch, high-speed instability, and decel wobbles completely.
And no, Traxxion didn't give me a discount; I did get a t-shirt though.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
It strikes me as strange that Honda's flagship touring bike has barely
adequate suspension from the factory.. It sure makes me wonder..

cosmic

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,588 Posts
7400 miles and no twitch on mine, I would check all the triple tree bolts and axle and pinch bolts. I have heard of not quite tight enough ones from the factory. :shock:

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
I don't think the hydraulic preload of the rear shock is going to help your front end twitch much. Do look for loose hardware, but also suspect a deformed o borken front spring or damaged slider. The fork brace is going to be a bandaide fix at best; even with forks in good conditon they are a minimal improvement IMHO.

prs

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
My suspension is just fine on my '05. :D :D

It's a touring bike, not a sport bike. :wink: :wink:

later..Randy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The stock suspension isn't very good at all. I ran it at 25 solo and still had a light front end. A fork brace helped a bit.
Traxxion rebuild at both ends eliminated all twitch, high-speed instability, and decel wobbles completely.

No, I don't have any high-speed instability or decel wobbles. I merely have that bad twitch when doing a relatively slow right angle turn.

Believe me, if I had any speed wobbles or a really bad front end problem, the dealer would have gotten it back.

·
Vendor
2,376 Posts
A Kuryakyn fork brace is the cure for this exact problem.

"Twitchy" can mean a couple of things, but most usually people use this term referring to a sportbike that has too aggressive of chassis geometry. It is the opposite of stable.

"Twisty" or "Flexy" might be a better word. The beauty of a fork brace is that it installs in minutes, makes an immediate and noticeable improvement in reducing twist, never wears out, and requires no maintenance. Now that is a great upgrade!

It will take away the lazy steering on the freeway as well. You can move the handlebars back and forth on the freeway and the wing won't even budge. That is "flex". Put the brace on and move the bars, and the bike will respond. Big improvement.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have the same problem and I have a Super Brace on my 02. When you take a right turn as discribed, front end seems very flexable. Front end hardware is tight, no leaks, no other problems with tracking at speed etc. Just a flexing feeling when making those slow turns into gas stations, curb entrance etc....

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
My suspension is just fine on my '05. :D :D

It's a touring bike, not a sport bike. :wink: :wink:

later..Randy
To some it's just a Touring Bike, to me it is definitely the Ultimate Sport Touring Bike :!: :!: :wink:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
:lol:...I got the T-shirt too...love the saying on the back.."It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"...love it.... :lol:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
Paul,
I guess you have never been on a FJR then??

later..Randy
Yep checked one out when I was trying to make up my mind on which bike to buy. Very nice bike, but the back seat just doesn't cut it for the wife :wink:

As the saying goes, "If Momma ain't Happy...."

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The Kury fork brace fixed my twisty forks. I highly reccommend it!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
pshivers said:
INTHEWIND said:
Paul,
I guess you have never been on a FJR then??

later..Randy
Yep checked one out when I was trying to make up my mind on which bike to buy. Very nice bike, but the back seat just doesn't cut it for the wife :wink:

As the saying goes, "If Momma ain't Happy...."
Same here - she be very happy now :D

She rode on our Hayabusa for four years!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wanted to add that you talked about air pressure. You are not adjusting air pressure on the rear shock. It is not air operated. Those numbers are just referance points for spring pre-load. It will change the handling slightly just because it changes the rear ride height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts