GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a second FM atenna be installed on the Wing?
I was thinking if I could add an FM antenna where the CB atenna should be, would I get better FM reception. Can this be done? Is it worth trying? Or should I go with satellite radio?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Antenna

Go with satellite, much better reception, especially when you live out in the boonies like I do.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can a second FM atenna be installed on the Wing?
I was thinking if I could add an FM antenna where the CB atenna should be, would I get better FM reception. Can this be done? Is it worth trying? Or should I go with satellite radio?
You might change the reception pattern ever so slightly with two antennas (even that's doubtful), but you will not improve your FM reception. That's a General Class FCC license holder talkin' ;).

You will degrade your performance by using one antenna with a splitter for both FM and CB. Two antennas are required there for best reception and transmission.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I think satellite radio is on the brink of bankrupcy and may soon be gone. Not sure, you might wanna check before commiting to it.

I have the split function antenna. I certainly admit the CB is lousy and that may be why. The FM on it is better than other 1800s I know of, but nothing to brag about. I put a RadioShack booster in line with the FM split and that helped a little, The teeny tiny FM radio incorperated into my ScalaRider headset blows the wing's FM radio away and the Scala has NO external antenna -- go figure!

prs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have the CB antena.
Will the FM antenna fit on the left side?
Can you add a splitter then add the "new" antenna in the same line?
Or should I use a coat hanger and duct tape on the end of the FM? :cool:

·
Registered
494 Posts
2 fm ant questions

I have the Searra Electronics ant. with splitter. for 3 years.
It has a coil wrap all the way up the ant.( for FM )
I have had a dozen people ask how come I have such great CB qualities.
I can transmit farther that alot of fellow riders,I'm not sure if the recieve qualities are superiour or not.
I've had many people say that my transmit quality is great.
I only have ONE Black 1/4 inch ant.
No need to have the second ant.
This way I put the ant.on the right side of the bike,
Have you ever hit the ant. while the bike is on the side stand,I hated that,so now I don't have that issue.
KennyU
SeattleWA

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have the Searra Electronics ant. with splitter. for 3 years.
It has a coil wrap all the way up the ant.( for FM )
I have had a dozen people ask how come I have such great CB qualities.
I can transmit farther that alot of fellow riders,I'm not sure if the recieve qualities are superiour or not.
I've had many people say that my transmit quality is great.
I only have ONE Black 1/4 inch ant.
No need to have the second ant.
This way I put the ant.on the right side of the bike,
Have you ever hit the ant. while the bike is on the side stand,I hated that,so now I don't have that issue.
KennyU
SeattleWA
So, another words, you only have the one antenna, that does it all?

Do you have the part #?

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think satellite radio is on the brink of bankruptcy and may soon be gone. Not sure, you might wanna check before committing to it.

prs

I see many people saying this. Where do you get this information from or is it just a matter of repeating what others are saying? Just curious.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I see many people saying this. Where do you get this information from or is it just a matter of repeating what others are saying? Just curious.
It has been all over the news of several days (if you believe news reports) that Sirius/XM is considering a Chapter 7 filing. I like the technology and the ability Sat Radio gives me to get news and music that I enjoy in remote areas. On the other hand, I think the company does a poor job selecting and arranging programming. It is also saddled with some very expensive programs (Howard Stern for example) that it really can't afford at present.

From it's standpoint, it is dependent on subscriptions as opposed to advertiser support and is mainly used in cars and trucks. With vehicle sales down, fewer satelite radios are being sold, hence fewer subscriptions...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks Ben. I have two of the XM radios and was contemplating a 3rd for the daughter's car. But I now think I'll have to look a bit deeper into the situation.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Thanks Ben. I have two of the XM radios and was contemplating a 3rd for the daughter's car. But I now think I'll have to look a bit deeper into the situation.
If Sirius/XM go under, as they very well might, I expect that someone else will fill the void. Sat radio is a god idea in my opinion especially for folks who travel a great deal, provided that the provider has a realistic business plan which neither Sirius of XM has/had.

You may have noticed that much of the advertising on sat radio is directed to long haul truckers...

·
Registered
494 Posts
two antenna

love it!
Yes,you will only have a one Right sided ant. for both cb and FM abil.
You will not need any extentions to your stock cords.
the KIT pt # is
SEI-GL18/15ant-SOLO3
it comes with the 3 foot wrap ant. and the SEI-T268 splitter and fold-over

(DONOT get the 2 ft kit)not as strong.
KennyU
Seattle WA

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I too have one of the single antenna systems from Sierra. It looks far better to me and the black compliments additional black trim on my '08 Red Metallic.

Only problem is, someone else liked it to and stole the antenna whip from a parkade one day while I was at a local hospital.

I had the same CB on my last bike, an '07 GL1800, using the stock radio antenna and with Honda's OEM CB antenna. I feel the CB reception/transmission is better with this combination single antenna system.

D

·
0 Posts
It has been all over the news of several days (if you believe news reports) that Sirius/XM is considering a Chapter 7 filing. I like the technology and the ability Sat Radio gives me to get news and music that I enjoy in remote areas. On the other hand, I think the company does a poor job selecting and arranging programming. It is also saddled with some very expensive programs (Howard Stern for example) that it really can't afford at present.

From it's standpoint, it is dependent on subscriptions as opposed to advertiser support and is mainly used in cars and trucks. With vehicle sales down, fewer satelite radios are being sold, hence fewer subscriptions...

"Sirius XM Radio, Inc., operating from its corporate headquarters in New York City's Rockefeller Center, has been working with the restructuring expert Joseph A. Bondi of Alvarez & Marsal and the bankruptcy lawyer Mark Thompson of Simpson, Thatcher & Bartlett on preparing a Chapter 11 filing."

Big difference between Chapter 11 and 7. Sirius will probably just restructure their debt and move on. Worst case they end up with a parent company. I have 4 radios (one on the Wing) and not worried at all. :thumbup:

Geof

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think i would go with the satellite.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
"Sirius XM Radio, Inc., operating from its corporate headquarters in New York City's Rockefeller Center, has been working with the restructuring expert Joseph A. Bondi of Alvarez & Marsal and the bankruptcy lawyer Mark Thompson of Simpson, Thatcher & Bartlett on preparing a Chapter 11 filing."

Big difference between Chapter 11 and 7. Sirius will probably just restructure their debt and move on. Worst case they end up with a parent company. I have 4 radios (one on the Wing) and not worried at all. :thumbup:

Geof
I think you are right in that Sirius-XM will likely survive in some form, at least until something better comes along, assuming of course that they do as you suggest, file for Ch 11 protection/restructuring. In that event, they will need to hire a producer/programing expert and a more astute marketing chief.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
In my opinion a second FM antenna would not help much. The Satellite is a good choice, but my experience was that it cut out a lot. Could just be my area, and the position of the satellite. But I had lots of cut outs, pretty often. Short periods but nonetheless bothersome. Lots of folks swear by them, but I took mine out. Word is the ground plane is not sufficient on the wing as it is when the antenna is mounted on a large car top>!!?? I spoke to Sirius tech guys (they were that that techie IMO), and they had no good solution. I did try a couple different antenna's of the same type to no avail.

Your milage may vary.....good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Word is the ground plane is not sufficient on the wing as it is when the antenna is mounted on a large car top>!!??
If you put a mini antenna in between the trunk lids, you can make a "dish" under it out of metal. I did not make a "dish" but I do have it mounted between the trunk lids. It works very well there where geographically I ride with it most. Click pic for more info. (FYI I geocache and hunt using a GPS with the same kind of antenna. I wear a hat with a metal plate about twice the size of the antenna and put that under and mag the antenna to the top. Works great!)

I don't use the FM much as you can see:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm a ham radio guy you will most likely make the antenna pattern very directional and worse reception

1 - 20 of 28 Posts