GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start a p!&&ing contest but wanted to share a couple of experiences that others might want to consider before using a “must look through” windshield setup. Both happened on the same trip.

To set the stage, I use the stock windshield set so that I am just looking over the top of the screen when looking at the horizon down the road. If I sit up very “tall” I can see over the windshield fairly close to the front of the bike.

Two weeks ago I was traveling from Eureka Springs, AR to Oklahoma City. Left Eureka Springs about 7:30 AM on a brilliantly clear and cool day. I noticed however, that the valleys were completely filled with fog. It made for an awesome sight but an interesting driving experience. Highway 62 west out of Eureka falls into the valleys and climbs back to the ridge tops several times. During one of the trips into and out of a valley, I must have hit some warm moist air with a cool windshield because the windshield instantly went from perfectly clear to totally fogged. It remained fogged until I climbed out of the valley into the drier air of the ridge top. Fortunately, I could simply sit straight and continue driving until the windshield cleared.

About 3 hours later I am riding through downtown Tulsa on I-44. I was in the left lane running about the speed limit in moderate traffic. A car in the next lane over and about 3 car lengths ahead of me kicked up a single sheet of newspaper that just happened to flatten out and stick itself against the windshield. The relative wind held that danged sheet of newspaper perfectly flat against the windshield for an eternity that probably was a count of 4. It then blew off. Again, I could safely continue by simply stretching up and looking over the windshield.

In both of these cases I would have been in much tougher shape if I had not been able to look over the shield.

Just my experiences. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
I was riding from Lufkin TX to Many, LA to a golf outting at Toledo Bend early Tuesday morning,temperature showed 48 degrees and windshield was covered in that foggy mist. Fortunately for me, I use the stock Honda shield and ride with it pushed down, and arrived safely.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Bluewing's better half managed to try putting her helmet in the same space as her Tulsa windshield last week ... apparently the visor on the helmet lost.
Although the vents are supposed to keep the windshield from foggin' and all, I much prefer looking completely over the stock windshield (it's usually as far down as it will go) .... but then I'm not quite as tall as Gary :lol:

OTOH, I just got back, last weekend, from 1600 miles on a VTX1800C. That's 1600 miles without a windshield. :shock: The bike rode and handled better than I'd anticipated, but the VERY first thing getting added is a windshield .... I couldn't even open the vents on my jacket as the immediate effect was the jacket balloning and trying to lift my head off my shoulders! I have much newfound respect for guys who ride without the benefit of that debris and wind shield! :shock:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I recently went back to the stock windshield from the Tulsa I had. In rain the Tulsa was great because no rain hit me in the face. Since I can't look over the stocker it needs to be raised in the rain to keep the rain from hitting me in the face. I also have to keep my face shield up to see. So I agree that seeing over the windshield is much better in the rain because I could then keep my face shield down.
I'm averaging at least 3 mpg better with the stocker than with the Tulsa, which is way I changed back to it.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I don't like looking throug a shield. I ride a lot in the mornings (to work) and during the fall and spring, fogging is an issue. I now run the Wind Bender with the soft and oh-so-easy to scratch bender top replaced with my cut off (coated) OEM shield. Nice setup.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
And one against the short windshield. Was riding behind a 1500 wing with a short windscreen last year when a rock was kicked up by an oncoming car. Rock just clipped the top of his windshield and hit him very hard in the face shield of the full faced Shoei. He was not hurt and managed to get stopped without going over, but what I was watching was a real exercise in crisis management. He said it felt like he had been hit with a sledge hammer. Face shield was toast, windscreen cracked, he was shaken (that is an understatement. Only his laundryman knows for sure).

If there had been a tall windshield, the damage would have been to the windscreen. And with an open face helmet, he likely would have been dead - if not from the impact, then the loss of control.

And I have lost a windshield (a Markland on a 1500) from a broken branch coming out of a tree in a windstorm. That gets your attention.

I also prefer those I can see over, but there are pluses and minuses. I am using a CeeBailey now that I can see over, but I like the thickness. Its a whole lot thicker than the OEM or most aftermarket windscreens. But I only ride using a hat with chinbar and visor.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If my Tulsa Xtall fogs I just sit up straight and look over it. I do that a lot anyway, as a relief from the ''vulture" position that I have to assume to get down into its quiet zone.

What a lot of you don't seem to get is that people come in different shapes and sizes.

As for how it looks.

1.)A lot of people say the Wing looks like a pig. Why would I care?
2.)You have to be incredibly childish and stupid to wear size 8 shoes on your size 13 feet because you think the size 13 shoes don't look cool.

Most of us have ridden open bikes and bikes with various sized windshields and fairing combinations for years. We've chosen what we like.

As far as the safety argument; I think the lack of a physical barrier is the greater danger, but it may be a toss up. If you couldn't see over your shield, why wouldn't you just stand on your pegs for the few minutes it would take to safely pull over and clear it? Anyone who can't drive safely standing on the pegs should learn how to ride a frickin' motorcycle. Get a dirt bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Jim
Did you atleast get caught up on the local news or was it the comic section? :) :)
Got caught to many times in the rain behind vehicles kicking up mud, where the shield could not be looked through.
I allways look just over the top.
mac

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
chuck_b24 said:
Who really cares????????????????????????????????????????????????????????...........chuck
I care because a windshield blocking the rider from looking over can fog and is unsafe

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
I would have just stood up and rode on. I do it all the time to stretch my legs, even in the twisties.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
trialsman said:
I would have just stood up and rode on. I do it all the time to stretch my legs, even in the twisties.
Yabbut, a Golwing isn't a GAS GAS.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Hurt me, man. A gas Gas is the Chevrolet of Trials bikes. I've got the Mercedes, a Montesa/Honda, fuel injected 4-stroke. Sweeet :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.