GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing when the oil had been changed last on my new to me trike, I decided to change oil and filter. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be...I didn't have to remove the front cowling to get to the filter..I barely had enough room to remove the filter but did it. The oil was thick and black...must have been a while since it was changed.

The second thing I did was:

I finally got around to wiring my trike to pull my trailer. Having pulled the trailer before with my 1100 Shadow I wondered how the trike would compare.

I took it for a short ride and got it up to freeway speeds and just like the shadow never knew it was back there. I played around with tongue weight and I do like the idea that I can carry more tongue weight with the trike and it not affect the handling of it. It still seemed to pull better with a tongue weight between 30 -35 lb. (I DO HATE THOSE STUPID PLASTIC INSERTS INTO THE GOMMITS ON THE SIDE PANELS)

Here are a couple of pics.

·
Registered
126 Posts
:congrats: Good looking ride. :congrats:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Not knowing when the oil had been changed last on my new to me trike, I decided to change oil and filter. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be...I didn't have to remove the front cowling to get to the filter..I barely had enough room to remove the filter but did it. The oil was thick and black...must have been a while since it was changed.

It looks like you are all set to travel. Nice looking rig. Did you use a oil filter wrench to change the filter? If not, you should get one as it makes changing it much easier. Wow, that oil needed changing...good move.

I finally got around to wiring my trike to pull my trailer. Having pulled the trailer before with my 1100 Shadow I wondered how the trike would compare.

I took it for a short ride and got it up to freeway speeds and just like the shadow never knew it was back there. I played around with tongue weight and I do like the idea that I can carry more tongue weight with the trike and it not affect the handling of it. It still seemed to pull better with a tongue weight between 30 -35 lb. (I DO HATE THOSE STUPID PLASTIC INSERTS INTO THE GOMMITS ON THE SIDE PANELS)

What plastic inserts are you talking about. I was just wondering as I have a MT with a trailer hitch (no trailer..what make is yours, it looks nice).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It looks like you are all set to travel. Nice looking rig. Did you use a oil filter wrench to change the filter? If not, you should get one as it makes changing it much easier. Wow, that oil needed changing...good move.

What plastic inserts are you talking about. I was just wondering as I have a MT with a trailer hitch (no trailer..what make is yours, it looks nice).
George

I bought an oil filter wrench but the trike sits so close to the ground I couldn't use it....I had a swivel handle oil filter wrench that worked great.

My trailer is a harbor freight trailer with a Pep Boy's 18cf cartop carrier...the trailer was give to me...I caught the cartop carrier on sale for $70...all together I have about $125 in the trailer. With the tongue weight around 30lb it pulls like a dream...I pulled it behind my 1100 Shadow and never knew it was back there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts