GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to take better care of my new tires and have two simple questions:

1. What is the best/easiest-to-use tire pressure gauge?

2. If you carry an air pump, what kind and how well does it work?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Ck with harbor freight they have some great little pumps with pressure gauge

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
There are several digital tire pressure gauges nowadays. I look for gauges large easy to read displays in 1lb increments. One with a rigid extension may be useful for rearing the rear tire.

Slime makes a nice portable pump. Nice and compact with its own little carry case. Hook it to your battery or run it off a circuit with your preference of terminal (SAE, Cigarette, Coax, Powerlet, etc).

I'm trying to take better care of my new tires and have two simple questions:

1. What is the best/easiest-to-use tire pressure gauge?

2. If you carry an air pump, what kind and how well does it work?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
+1 for the Slime Pump. Note that you can Remove it from it's plastic case, and it becomes quite a bit smaller still.

·
Registered
425 Posts
+ 1 for the slime pump as I have had mine for 5 years and used it to top off on a trip last week to just test it as been awhile.
Comes with enough attachments for three bikes and just plain works

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking at the Slime pump and wondering where you plug the darned thing in. ;)

Does anyone use a hand or foot pump?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'm looking at the Slime pump and wondering where you plug the darned thing in...
> I re-wired mine to include Both a Male-cigaratte-adaptor, as well as a pair of Alligator Clamps... Having both enables me to get a Jump (for the pump) from any vehical within reach (in case my battery is dead).

...Does anyone use a hand or foot pump?
> I use a foot pump for daily pressure adjustment, because it's so much faster than hooking up an electric pump.
> On the road though, I use the Slime pump because it's portable.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I carry an old fashion car tire pump. Keep it in my left saddlebag. It is a chore to pump the handle but reliable when needed. But then again, I only use it when needed on the road. At home I use the compressor.
Bob

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm looking at the Slime pump and wondering where you plug the darned thing in. ;)
One of the adapters lets me plug it into the same connector I use for my battery tender. The BT cord is fused and goes directly to the battery, so it works just as well taking electricity out of the battery as putting it in!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
+1 on the Slime pump and a tire pressure gauge that is very similar to, but not the same brand as, this one.

REDLINE-TECHNIK-TIRE-PRESSURE-GAUGE1.jpg

·
Vendor
22,100 Posts
I've done some testing on different gauges, and I've found that the digital ones are much more accurate and provide repeatable results. The Accutire brand seem to be about the best bang for the buck. Even their cheaper models are very accurate. I bough six of these and all six display the exact same pressure and are right on the money when checked against a standard.

Amazon.com sells them for $6

Accutire MS-4652B

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I use this one at the house its a little big to carry on the bike but i find it to be very accurate compact air com.jpg :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts