GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I went on two rides out in the Maryland and Pennsylvania countryside. The weather was very good and the fall colors were at their peak.

Except for a bit of excitement involving a fuel cap, both rides were terrific.

I documented the two trips on my web page at:

http://www.members.aol.com/wattim/mcjournal/fall06

You can also download my the Microsoft Streets and Trips files for these trips on this web page.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That was an excellent read and I've book marked your site so I can give both rides a try one of these days. I too have a Volusia and I must admit it hasn't gotten the miles on it that it used to since I have the Wing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nimo, The Vol was agreat bike. I put 36 K miles on it with very few problems. I rode it is far west as Arizona and also around lake Superior.
I also did a SS1000 on my Vol.

I finally sold it to a guy in Maryland to make room for the Wing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
katchunk said:
Recently I went on two rides out in the Maryland and Pennsylvania countryside. The weather was very good and the fall colors were at their peak.

Enjoy.
The ride out of "Motorcycle Times" for Sept/Oct. was a report from a reader who followed the route taken from a nice local route book called "Great Roads, Great Rides". If you want to ride some good roads, then get this book. It has tons of routes laid out for you in the VA/MD/WV area. The place you can order it from is www.greatroadsgreatrides.com.

Nice fall photo of your GL1800 too by the way!

-Saffron[/b]

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Living in NW VA I ride the roads of the local area and over into WV, up into PA, and MD a LOT. To find the rtes I want to ride, I simply use the maps of the states involved and plan out a course. This works very well for me and gives me a chance to "find" some new roads. It is fun to sort of follow my nose and see where the road leads.

I try to have a good idea in my mind of where things are and the directions I need to travel. Getting lost is not a concern nor is finding gas. I have an iWay500 but do not have it hooked up to my Wing. Don't really feel like I need it and am considering selling the unit. The iWay was a great companion on my cross country trip back in the summer on the VTX, but I could have easily done without it. Used it more to check my speed and the elevation than anything else.

I believe I am very fortunate to have so many wonderful roads on which to ride where I live and w/in a couple hundred mile radius. :D Ride safely and enjoy.

Todd

·
Registered
43 Posts
wvnnva said:
Living in NW VA I ride the roads of the local area and over into WV, up into PA, and MD a LOT.

I believe I am very fortunate to have so many wonderful roads on which to ride where I live and w/in a couple hundred mile radius. :D

Todd
I too live in the same general area (Harpers Ferry, WV) and over the past 30 years have seen some great roads in No. Va go under due to development and traffic. I have been lucky to find other roads to take their place, and enjoy discovering roads new to me. The area around Winchester, VA is now on life support due to the new traffic lights, new sub-divisions and 2 lanes being changed to 4 lanes, and the curves taken out of the once great curvy roads. However, there are thousands of miles around here where you can go all day and not see many cars, and stop along side the road and hear the wind in the dense forest, or the stream just past the guard rails. This area is a true riders paradise. . . although it faces some challenges. For some though that don't want to take time to explore the area on their own, the book I noted in my previous post really helps in getting you on some fantastic roads quick, and allows you to use these basic routes to branch off on your own to create your own unique ride.

-Saffron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts