GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about six weeks back I did this. Just getting around to putting the pics and the lessons learned up.

I had seen from various places here in this forum and elsewhere that there are a couple of options for the jackless amongst us to change tires:
  • Lay down method for rear tire.
  • Center stand and use a small jack or, c/o Fred's videos, a 7" piece of wood, to hold up the front.
Those allow for one wheel at a time, but I wanted to get both done. I also found the all-in option for two tires:
  • Pull the front first as above.
  • Remove the prop under the frame/engine and lower the front, watch the rear raise way up like magic.
  • Drop the rear tire down in the space that's created. Voila.
Pics attached from my crowded little garage show the bike with both wheels off and ready to go get their rubber changed. Front and rear views, sorry there's not a good side view, I didn't have much side to view from. These are pre-debacle. So now I have shaken out all (I hope) of my fear and stupidity from any method of getting the wheels off. I can attest:

1. This really works.
  2. It is very important to get a good STRONG strap and secure the center stand forward. Strap it to the engine guards, etc. so there's no chance of it folding back / retracting.
  3. If you drop the front low enough, there's plenty of clearance in the back to drop the wheel and pull it out. I have a Bushtec hitch on and could still remove the wheel.
I might do this again if I have to pull both wheels at the same. But I would do it with a good STRONG strap on that center stand, well-secured. Therein lies the root of my debacle.

When I returned with my new rubber, I mounted the rear wheel. Next step was to lift the front, put the block back in, and re-mount the front wheel. My daughter was home so I asked for her help in placing the block as I lifted the front. That may be the last help I get from her as my lift was poorly executed or something, and the bike shifted forward, snapped the safety strap, came forward and off the stand, and pitched to its right, where she was. I nearly crushed my young 'un. She was super pissed off, but not nearly as pissed off as I was rattled by my dumb-assery almost leading to her demise. Yikes.

Oh well. Shared for your knowledge, and your kids' well being. ;)

I can further attest that the laydown method works for front tires, for anyone who is dumb enough to go there. After I came to terms with my stupidity, I did some staring at my bike on its side wondering how I was going to lift and strap and pulley and jack and such to get it back up on its center stand to be able to put the front wheel on. I finally realized I could change the order, put the wheel on as it lay, and just do the parking lot leg lift. I have now gone full circle. What a trip. Doh.

P1020780.jpg P1020781.jpg

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It's nice to learn from others experiences, (mistakes), glad it all worked out for you. As for the original idea. :thumbup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
For the cost of a tire, you too could have a shiny new motorcycle lift in the garage , and no more events of trying to crush your youngins ;-)

No need to buy the super expensive ones, which of course super lifts, but the affordable one, like from sears or sams club will get the job done more safely

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
So, about six weeks back I did this. Just getting around to putting the pics and the lessons learned up.

I had seen from various places here in this forum and elsewhere that there are a couple of options for the jackless amongst us to change tires:
  • Center stand and use a small jack or, c/o Fred's videos, a 7" piece of wood, to hold up the front.
Those allow for one wheel at a time, but I wanted to get both done. I also found the all-in option for two tires:
  • Remove the prop under the frame/engine and lower the front, watch the rear raise way up like magic.
Pics attached from my crowded little garage show the bike with both wheels off and ready to go get their rubber changed. Front and rear views, sorry there's not a good side view, I didn't have much side to view from. These are pre-debacle. So now I have shaken out all (I hope) of my fear and stupidity from any method of getting the wheels off. I can attest:

1. This really works.
  2. It is very important to get a good STRONG strap and secure the center stand forward. Strap it to the engine guards, etc. so there's no chance of it folding back / retracting.
  3. If you drop the front low enough, there's plenty of clearance in the back to drop the wheel and pull it out. I have a Bushtec hitch on and could still remove the wheel.
I might do this again if I have to pull both wheels at the same. But I would do it with a good STRONG strap on that center stand, well-secured. Therein lies the root of my debacle.

When I returned with my new rubber, I mounted the rear wheel. Next step was to lift the front, put the block back in, and re-mount the front wheel. My daughter was home so I asked for her help in placing the block as I lifted the front. That may be the last help I get from her as my lift was poorly executed or something, and the bike shifted forward, snapped the safety strap, came forward and off the stand, and pitched to its right, where she was. I nearly crushed by young 'un. She was super pissed off, but not nearly as pissed off as I was rattled by my dumb-assery almost leading to her demise. Yikes.

I can further attest that the laydown method works for front tires, for anyone who is dumb enough to go there. After I came to terms with my stupidity, I did some staring at my bike on its side wondering how I was going to lift and strap and pulley and jack and such to get it back up on its center stand to be able to put the front wheel on. I finally realized I could change the order, put the wheel on as it lay, and just do the parking lot leg lift. I have now gone full circle. What a trip. Doh.

View attachment 56455 View attachment 56456
Thanks for the lesson, it could have been worse. A local guy was doing his the same way, but his stand collapsed before either wheel was reinstalled. Boom, down it went. Didn't get any pictures, but he had to spend some bucks to fix it. He had to roll it over on it's side to get the wheels back on then pick it back up.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
It does work great, I did this for years before I bought a lift with a removable floor plate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just had two new tires mounted by our local Honda dealer. After looking at videos of laying the bike on its side and such, I just said heck with it and paid to have it done. Had a nice whisky after dropping the bike off and picking up the bike the next day, I think I made the right decision.

I am not lazy. I have a Valkyrie that I put on a special mount under the bike that allowed me to confidently lift the bike with my MC lift and change tires. I don't feel that way about my GW yet. Does not look like my lift will inspire confidence. The extra money was worth it to me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the lesson, it could have been worse. A local guy was doing his the same way, but his stand collapsed before either wheel was reinstalled. Boom, down it went. Didn't get any pictures, but he had to spend some bucks to fix it. He had to roll it over on it's side to get the wheels back on then pick it back up.
Yeah thats exactly what I thought when I saw the pictures, how is the centerstand not folding under? Now if you could lock it that would be a great idea...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I resonantly removed both wheel/tires from the bike, I laid it over and removed the rear and put on a old spare and set her back up and did the Fred H. method on the removal of the front wheel. Took both wheels/tires down to the Honda shop and had new tired put on (that I ordered from HDL) cost me $56.00 total. Where in the past it used to cost $85.00 per tire....

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats exactly what I thought when I saw the pictures, how is the centerstand not folding under?
Unfortunately, it is about to. :oops: Inexplicably, I used a 1" strap that's more the kind you would tie stuff to a backpack than strap down a vehicle. It actually broke at the buckle, not the strap.

Now if you could lock it that would be a great idea...
I have full faith that, with a proper ratchet strap, it would be no problem to "lock" the center stand. If (or probably when) I do this again, I'll run a ratchet strap in a 'u' from one engine guard to the center stand and back to the other engine guard.

Bobby C, same experience here. $50 for two tires at a local shop, while I waited. I think the dealer here wanted even more than yours. There was a nice guy I met on the board here who offered to do the job with his home tire machine, but timing was inconvenient for us both. Probably the only ways I'll not do this in the future are if I only change one tire at a time, or if I'm doing both wheels right there at someone's garage and just do one at a time.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Before I got my Pitbull jack, that's how I changed both wheels at the same time with my Craftsman jack. :thumbup:

1. This really works.

When I returned with my new rubber, I mounted the rear wheel. Next step was to lift the front, put the block back in, and re-mount the front wheel. My daughter was home so I asked for her help in placing the block as I lifted the front. That may be the last help I get from her as my lift was poorly executed or something, and the bike shifted forward, snapped the safety strap, came forward and off the stand, and pitched to its right, where she was. I nearly crushed my young 'un. She was super pissed off, but not nearly as pissed off as I was rattled by my dumb-assery almost leading to her demise. Yikes.

View attachment 56455 View attachment 56456

1 - 11 of 11 Posts