GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally entered the first group today while out riding with Elrod. He kicked my front wheel and into the ditch I went :) KIDDING OF COURSE!!!. Some copious amounts of gravel spread evenly across the road may have also been involved. Got a ride home from a nice guy driving a roll-back truck, Progressive paid the tab. Hopefully they continue to do so without question. Elrod, feel free to elaborate if you wish, I'm still sore as hell and about ready for bed.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Glad your ok and not hurt.

The trick with elrod is to stay ahead of him.!!!:roll:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Glad you're OK!:thumbup: Is there more to your name than meets the eye Flip?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • Copied from my earlier Facebook Posts:

I"ll tell the story now, my buddy "Elrod" and I had been out since around 9am, this happened about 11:30am. We had spent the morning being conscious of the road conditions, as we'd recently had some bad weather in the area. We had found the roads to be damp, but mostly clean thus far in our roughly 100 miles of travels. I was leading, and came into a left corner that was at a county line. The chip seal on the road appeared to change, but that happens regularly on the country roads in NC/GA/SC when you change counties so it really didn't concern me. The corner was not that sharp, so I did not trim much speed, if any. Once I was upon it, I realized that it was loose chip seal across the entire road service, not tar/stone sealed as I had originally thought. At that point, both tires started sliding and I grabbed a fist and foot full of brakes, trimming speed quickly to try and avoid the ditch. It was to no avail, I ran out of room before I ran out of speed and entered the ditch around 35 miles per hour. I had thought that I would be able to ride it out but was unable to once I encountered the large boulders that were loose in the ditch. They tossed me against the right side wall of the ditch/hill on the right, I bounced off it and went down hard in the ditch to the left. Long story short, that's about what happened, give or take. I'm a firm believer in ATGATT now, hip protectors, back protectors, kneepads all played a factor in me getting up in short order with no major bodily harm.

• Here's a map, came to rest right in front of the driveway that should come up mid screen, but on the opposite side of the road. I was travelling east to west.https://www.google.com/.../@34.5739342,-83.../data=!3m1!1e3

This has been a tough day. We really were taking it pretty easy all day, and had only just begun to feel somewhat comfortable, ramping the speeds up a smidge. In the end, the blame lays on me, but thankfully I am insured to handle these things, else I'd have lots of 'splainin to do.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Sorry to hear about your get off but you seem to be in good spirits about it...You are talking about it and that is good...Hope the damage is not to bad and Progressive takes care of ya...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
so sorry to hear this,i hope you and the bike are back going fast!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How beat up did the both of you (you and bike) get? Yep, firm believer ATGATT here also.
The bike has damage to both saddlebags, left mirror is toast, housing and glass, left upper fairing area took some abuse, lower cowling took some abuse, right muffler is toast, haven't looked at left muffler, shifter broke off, inhibiting the ability to ride it home (possible additional damage, not sure), other miscellaneous damage abounds as well. I'll speak with the adjuster tomorrow and work a game plan for repair.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so sorry to hear this,i hope you and the bike are back going fast!!
Hope to have it back together in a couple of weeks. I don't suspect any major issues, it appears mostly cosmetic at this point. Bummed that my bike is in the garage dripping parts at the moment, but all will come together I believe. Thanks to the soft(ish) dirt, my gear seemed to survive. May need to replace the helmet, not sure if the scratches were there already.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Flip, sorry hear about your miss-hap. But I am happy that you are OK.

Progressive will probably replace your helmet. My brother went down last summer and He told the adjuster that he wasn't sure if his helmet hit or not. The adjuster told him they would replace the helmet to be on the safe side. They gave him a check the amount of a new one.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
I WAS UP AROUND LAKE LURE LAST YEAR ( BREVARD ) AND AFTER RAIN ALL THE GRAVEL FROM PEOPLES DRIVEWAY WAS SPREAD ACROSS ROAD :eek:4::eek:4: LUCKELY WAS LOOKING FOR A STREET AT THE TIME AND WAS GOING SLOW !:bow: GOT TO WATCH LEAVES N GRAVEL AND CAGES COMIN AROUND THE MOUNTAIN !!;) GLAD YOUR OK - CAN FIX THE BIKE ! OR GET NEW ONE .

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Glad your ok and able to walk out of it
Hope it get back together fast there's the Dsri very soon hopefully bike will be back by then
Check local trick shops for the parts especially saddle bags and mufflers mirror housing saw some on eBay at a cheap price in primer but easy to paint
I even have a set of mufflers if need and some extra parts if I check in garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
You walked away from it. That was the most important part.
Agreed !
Live and learn is name of the game . May you and your bike heal fast

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Glad to see you could walk away from it.

You are right in that this is what insurance is for, and like others have said make sure you get your helmet replaced. Unlike GEICO, Progressive is good at replacing any motorcycle specific riding gear in case of an accident even if it is just cosmetic damage. Make sure you check all of it carefully since seams can fail in even a 35MPH incident, and you do not want weakened gear in case of another unintentional get off.

Now are you sure about Elrod's lack of involvement in this? :joke::joke:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Like everyone else has said, glad you are ok..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts