GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a solo trip May 15th into TX,NM,AZ,UT,CO. Wanting to stay hydrated and might run 200 miles between stops. Have any of you used the Camelbak Hydration systems and are they easy to use? was thinking of hooking behind driver backrest and clipping tube on collar of shirt while riding. any experience with this setup? Thanks,
Dean-o

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
dean, lots of folks use them

i tried a couple empty ones on in the store

i think they would be too hot on the back, and get in the way of my backrest

you may have a plan with putting it on the back of the rest

i use a 34 ounce butler cup

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ride with one all the time. I have a big 100oz that I take on camping trips and a smaller one if we are just going riding. If you are just riding with it I suggest a 70oz model to ride with on your back. You can get a tube extender kit if you plan to mount it on the bike or somewhere else.

REI has a good selection of models.

A buddy and I are leaving Louisiana on May 1 heading to Cali then Colorado. We are hitting LA, TX, NM, AZ, NV, CA, UT, WY, and CO before heading home. Maybe we'll see you on the road.

·
Registered
8,829 Posts
Going on a solo trip May 15th into TX,NM,AZ,UT,CO. Wanting to stay hydrated and might run 200 miles between stops. Have any of you used the Camelbak Hydration systems and are they easy to use? was thinking of hooking behind driver backrest and clipping tube on collar of shirt while riding. any experience with this setup? Thanks,
Dean-o
Hey, we meet again! :thumbup:

My wife and I each bought a clearance-model - it's a 1.5liter...geez, they've got about 20 models in that range, wish I remembered the name of it.

Anyway, yes they are easy to use. When we're on the bike, we wear the bags normally - like a backpack. Where I have my backrest positioned, I have about a three inch overhang, so I can adjust it so that the bottom of the bag is behind the backrest. My wife actually leans against hers and draws a bit of coolness from the bag onto her.

The drinking tube? It's clipped to the strap on the bag; not much to reach over and pop in into your mouth to drink. It's called a "bite-valve" for that exact reason; bite it and it opens.

You'll love 'em, but there are few things that we never knew...

When done drinking, blow the remaining fluid back into the bag! If not, the next sip you get will be HOT!

Use nothing but water in the bag. Anything with sugar or anything even close to sweeteners can really cause the growth of mold and other nasties. You really need to keep the spigot and hose clean and dry when NOT in use.

So, you might ask yourself "how do you fill on the road?" Simple. Get that large drink when you make that lunch stop at your favorite (or convenient...) fast food place that has self-serve beverages. First, fill up with ice. I found that a 32oz cup nearly full of ice gives about a half-bag of ice. Next, fill cup with water, then transfer to bag. Repeat process for co-riders bag. :yes1:

Have fun - a ride-enhancer, for sure!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have used the camelback and the Butler mug. I prefer the Butler, it stays cold better. the camelback is insulated but the water in the hose does get warm pretty fast. The Butler is much easier to refill at gas stations and resturants than the camel back. What ever you take on your trip, stay hydrated, be safe and enjoy every mile.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've used the Camelbak 3L as my primary hydration system for a number of years. I've tried the knockoffs but only the mil-spec ones have the insulated sipping hose. I also found that the mil-spec ones were better built, more comfortable, and came in several colors. I do not recommend any dark colored Camelbaks as they get warmer much sooner. :oops:

At each stop I fill the 3L with ice and add water until it bulges. I ride, sipping at regular intervals. With the wide mouth, heavy duty construction, and good ergonomics, filling and using one isn't a problem. The coolness helped me survive the 100F+ temps of the southwest in July/August as well as keeping me hydrated. By the time the water gets almost too warm to drink I've already stopping.

I've not had any problems carrying the 8 pounds of water and hydration system on my back, the straps are more than long enough to get around my girth and armored gear, and the sipping tube is easy to grasp.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Going on a solo trip May 15th into TX,NM,AZ,UT,CO. Wanting to stay hydrated and might run 200 miles between stops.
I do the exact same type of runs, and believe me, you will NOT want to use a Butler cup. BTDT. Get the camelback. Or, get a 1 gallon rubbermaid jug at Walmart and bungee it to the passenger floorboard and insert a hose and bite valve.

In an hour, anything in your Butler cup will be like soup. There is no insulation, and it is black, not a good combination. It also doesn't hold enough liquid for a three hour run in 90+ degree heat. Try taking a drink from a Butler cup with a full face helmet on...not pretty.

I think most replies are unaware that you need something to drink <while riding>.

I have a small cooler mounted on my aux fuel tank, which is mounted on the passenger seat. Next to the cooler is the camelback. 1/3 mix each by volume of ice cubes, Gatoraid and water works for me and will last through 11 gallons of fuel...and 90 degree heat. A flip-up helmet is a big help also...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I use a Camelbak often when riding off road, not so much on the Wing. But it is a great way to go if you want constant easy access to the water

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
When I made my trips to Honda HOOT, I wore a camelback 64oz bladder. I would fill it half way with Gatoraide then load it with ice, and top off with water to filling mouth. The ice made for a nice cooling pak behind me and the 1/2 Gatoraide kept me hydrated with the water from the melting ice. It lasted just fine between fill-ups and I would replenish the ice and Gatoraide as needed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Camelbak Hydration

Thanks for all the replies. Will search info on this item this weekend. Found a good tent yesterday at Outdoor World from a member on here and now need to find a comfy mat for sleeping. Thinking of using an electric blanket instead of sleeping bag. Any ideas on this??

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bought mine for our 2007 SW tour. Wore it under my mesh jacket filled with half ice half water. Could not have enjoyed the trip without it. Up to 115 degrees the day we hit Laughlin, nV. Only day not needed was the afternoon we entered Siloverton, CO. and leaving the next morning in 50-60 degeree weather (in August).

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Will search info on this item this weekend. Found a good tent yesterday at Outdoor World from a member on here and now need to find a comfy mat for sleeping. Thinking of using an electric blanket instead of sleeping bag. Any ideas on this??
Never heard of a sleeping bag fail (If kept dry) Electric blankets do not seem to retain heat as well and you get hot and cold spots.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Get an Igloo jug and a piece of icemaker tubing. I carry it in the trunk and run the hose thru the hole I drilled. Be sure and blow back when finished or the water in the tube will heat up in the sun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use the Camelbak when I am going for a long ride and only want to make very quick gas stops. I use the Butler Mug when I want to spend a little more time in my breaks, refill it with ice and water and spend a few minutes talking to local folks. They both work good.

·
Registered
8,829 Posts
I use a Camelbak often when riding off road, not so much on the Wing. But it is a great way to go if you want constant easy access to the water
Found out the hard way my wife tends to dehydrate a bit quicker than I do; that Camelbak really helped her out much more than me. I do feel better, though, after 500 miles of riding in the summer with that thing in use.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Camelback

Dean-o,
My wife and I bought one at the local Bass Pro shop for a trip out west. We ended up not using it. Not even sure we took it out of the bag. It's in the garage somewhere and if I can find it I would be glad to send it to you for $20.00 plus shipping. PM me if you're interested.
jb

·
Registered
758 Posts
Drink cup

The big 34oz Butler works great for tank to tank riding.
I mounted it to the right grab handle and use a bite tube on the straw clipped to my shirt. When you're done with the drink just pinch the bite valve and the water runs back into the cup and no warm water the next drink.
See my signature picture for mounting location. Convienent for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts