GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing my CB last night and since I had all shelters off I took advantage of changing air filter. I was surprised to find that it was this dirty. From reading all comments from the forum it sounded like a lot of you do it much later or found out that this really did not need to be changed. Most of my miles were from the highway going to Dallas from Laredo. Next change will be much sooner. I'll be changing spark plugs tonight.:eek:4:

28000 miles

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Looks like you've been through a dust/bug storm. Did my first change at 27K and will do the next after 20K.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
For my riding 20K seems to be the key also

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Doesn't look that bad to me. Tap it on the floor a few times, then hold it up to the light. I bet it's ok, but as long as you already have it apart change it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Time for a K & N!!!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Trick to getting more mileage out of the air filter is too put more miles on in cold weather. There is not any insect accumulation from cold weather riding and less dust, due to snow cover on the ground! Your filter looks dirtier than mine did at 50,000 miles, but I changed it any way.:wrong:

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Looks perfectly servicable to me. I change air filters at 32,000 and they are very clean then -- good clean country air, I suppose.

prs

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you've been through a dust/bug storm. Did my first change at 27K and will do the next after 20K.
Yep! We have a bug storm about once a year in Laredo and the Hill Country. One year it was so bad it looked like it was snowing moths or butterflys not sure what you call them.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
A lot of dirt can and will get wedged into the filter media fibers. If you spread open the pleats, you will also find a lot more that you don't see on first glance.

Keeping a clean filter in the bike not only improves gas mileage and performance, but it also helps prevent dirt from getting into your engine. Despite appearances, I believe Honda recommended mileage interval in the manual is correct. I always try to change mine at between 16K- 18K miles, regardless of how it looks.

Glad to hear the videos were helpful. They are currently marked down until Sunday for my Spring Tune Up Sale. http://www.angelridevideos.com

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Yes, it looks like it was time to change it, and good thing you did but you don't need to remove the top shelter to install the CB on an 06 and newer Gold Wing. FYI

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Since I am not a maintence bug, I am on my 3rd filter in 223,000 miles. And Fred H, Never did see the MPG's go down when the filter was really dirty, I guess the ECM changes the mixture to compensate. Also on my 3rd set of spark plugs.. To me, both well make 100,000 miles. Keep the plugs gapped and they should last a long long time.

After a 100,000 on the filters, there is still small green areas showing. Lots of bugs and leaves will accumilate in there.

Now, if I could get my tires to last 100,000 miles, that would be fine also. May get over 50,000 on the ones I have on it now though.

JMHO :cool:

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
After a 100,000 on the filters, there is still small green areas showing. Lots of bugs and leaves will accumilate in there.
So are you telling me you went to the trouble of removing the top shelter and checking the filter and you didn't replace it? So you could save $16 on a $18,000 vehicle?

New spark plugs cost about $1.80 each. If you go to the trouble to remove them, why not just replace them with fresh ones that the electrodes aren't all rounded off on? To save $12?

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Fred:

Thanks for the reminder about the sale on the entertainment videos. I'm teaching a maintenance class for GWRRA up here in Buckley, WA on Saturday, and will mention it.

Tim

A lot of dirt can and will get wedged into the filter media fibers. If you spread open the pleats, you will also find a lot more that you don't see on first glance.

Keeping a clean filter in the bike not only improves gas mileage and performance, but it also helps prevent dirt from getting into your engine. Despite appearances, I believe Honda recommended mileage interval in the manual is correct. I always try to change mine at between 16K- 18K miles, regardless of how it looks.

Glad to hear the videos were helpful. They are currently marked down until Sunday for my Spring Tune Up Sale. http://www.angelridevideos.com

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
It costs me too much to replace so i think i will wait till 50k before i change it. i do mostly highway driving anyways

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine was highway driving except doing that last stretch from Vanderpool and Leakey (Hill Country). I probably did that run three or four times when it was under construction. They finally have it paved and it is sweet. You can see from the pictures how much of the fine powder dust collects inside the shelter. No telling how much of that is trapped in filter.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
So are you telling me you went to the trouble of removing the top shelter and checking the filter and you didn't replace it? So you could save $16 on a $18,000 vehicle?

New spark plugs cost about $1.80 each. If you go to the trouble to remove them, why not just replace them with fresh ones that the electrodes aren't all rounded off on? To save $12?
Fred, My bike is only a 16,500 vehicle .. And as long as I can see light through the filter, I do not change it.

Spark Plugs.. They are like plastic sacks, I hate em... So as long as they are working and working OK, I do not add them to the trash on the planet. Re-gap and go,,, but I do change them around 100k, Not much left to re-gap with LOL

So, If I save 16 plus 12, that is 28 more dollars I have to buy fuel and ride the heck out of the thing.

JMHO :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts