GL1800Riders Forums banner

TX MC Insurers

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  silverbullett 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm nosing around for insurance quotes on a wing, and I'd like to ask the expert opinions on the subject of any Texans so generously inclined.
  • Do you find a big difference in rates and/or claims service among TX carriers? Who do you like?
  • I have homeowners and auto through Farmers, so I would consider them first. Of course their carrier is Foremost. Any thoughts on Foremost through Farmers? Experiences good or bad?
  • Those of you with full coverage, have you made comprehensive, collision, or theft claims, have they subsequently raised rates?
  • Anyone used the roadside/tow part of their policy? Do they guarantee a trailer, or might they sling it.
  • Anyone carry liability only? Any regrets?
I'm grateful for all suggestions!

James

#2 ·
I got my best rate from Progressive, can't say anything good, bad, or indifferent, as I have fortunatly never had to make a claim.

#5 ·
I went with Markel. Progressive was over twice as high.

#8 ·
My only caveat for Progressive is watch your rates. I had them for a few years and my rates went up every year, even with no claims. One year I went to their web site as a new customer and got a better rate than what I was paying. I called and asked them about it and they said the low rate was to attract new business. I asked, what about your current customers who have been with you for a while, why shouldn't I get just as good a rate. They had no answer. I went elsewhere and they lost a customer.

#9 ·
My only caveat for Progressive is watch your rates. I had them for a few years and my rates went up every year, even with no claims. One year I went to their web site as a new customer and got a better rate than what I was paying. I called and asked them about it and they said the low rate was to attract new business. I asked, what about your current customers who have been with you for a while, why shouldn't I get just as good a rate. They had no answer. I went elsewhere and they lost a customer.
I would do the same thing.
Guess I better check My rate. :shock:

#11 ·
I have my cars and house with stateFarm and Progressive for my bike.
:thumbup: +1. Had Progressive since 2001. Rate actually was lower each year until it hit bottom 2 years ago in the $250 area. Just got this years renewal and it is $254.

#12 ·
Give this guy a shout Charles Hale @ 903-796-2929, he writes under Foremost! Cheap, if you beat his price let me know. I'm not associated, just looking for the best deal too.

#13 ·
Thanks gents. I was just quoted around $440/yr, if I went with the $1000 deductible, completed a safety course, etc. Liability only is around $75/yr. I assume there is some break here for having the MC policy (Foremost) bundled with home and auto (Farmers), but not sure yet. How does this jibe with your experience?

james

#14 ·
Fortunately no claims so can't offer much. Just got renewal notice from Progressive for two bikes: $833. Seemed high and ran into an agent for ANPAC at a rally. See's quoting me $528 for same coverages. I'm leaning toward going with ANPAC when Progressive runs out Agent's name is Kim Henderson out of Marshall(kim.henderson@american-national.com). I've only met her once but she was nice and she's a biker.

#15 ·
Fortunately no claims so can't offer much. Just got renewal notice from Progressive for two bikes: $833. Seemed high and ran into an agent for ANPAC at a rally. See's quoting me $528 for same coverages. I'm leaning toward going with ANPAC when Progressive runs out Agent's name is Kim Henderson out of Marshall(kim.henderson@american-national.com). I've only met her once but she was nice and she's a biker.

I am with ANPAC also. Got everything, house, cars and bikes. My rates have stayed relatively flat for the last 4-5-years.

#16 ·
Insurance

I first had Geiko, but Progressive was half price, 182.00 per yr, full coverage w/500 deductable. Hit a slick spot on a curve last fall and they paid off like a slot machine, right at 4k damage. Will have to see in July if they raise my rates.

#17 ·
Great info folks, thanks, I have a Wing purchase pending so I'll be putting your advice to use this week.

I first had Geiko, but Progressive was half price, 182.00 per yr, full coverage w/500 deductable.
Wow, I'll definitely be checking into Progressive, am I reading that right? That is a fantastic price. I'm not sure I should hold my breath for a deal like that.

#18 ·
Its insane with the differences in pricing. I am with Markel at $440 full coverage with $500 deductables and no uninsured motorist protection. Progressive quoted me $920. This is with 30+ years of motorcycle exp and no tickets.

I am going to try Foremost and Dairyland and see what they say.

#19 ·
I live in Houston, but use a Farmers agent in Austin because he is the best (and hired my sister). I have a Foremost policy and unfortunately had to make a claim when an uninsured motorist hit my bike in a gas station parking lot. Foremost paid it immediately with zero hassle and so far my rate hasn't gone up. Of course the value was minimal, same as the damage. I plan to stick with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.