GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends heading there this weekend and asked about good roads from and too the Austin area and around Tyler

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
This is a great resource for what you are looking for. It's great for finding good riding roads anywhere in the US. Here is a link to the Piney Woods (Tyler) area of Texas: http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/tx_woods.html
The green roads are scenic, blue roads have sweepers and red are the twisties. Click on the road and a description will pop up with link to a further description of the ride.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yep, just came back from toledo bend and sam rayburn area, down thru lufkin and nacadoches. just pick a road, they are all pretty good. just dont eat bbq in alto texas at EJ'S bbq. hwy 294... they didnt even know what pulled pork was.......OMG!!!!!

DW

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
yep, just came back from toledo bend and sam rayburn area, down thru lufkin and nacadoches. just pick a road, they are all pretty good. just dont eat bbq in alto texas at EJ'S bbq. hwy 294... they didnt even know what pulled pork was.......OMG!!!!!

DW

You were looking for BBQ. I like pulled pork, but it just ain't considered BBQ in Texas. LOL

That is a great link in the second post. I ride a lot of those regularly. 114 or 115 from Edom to Palestine is nice too. Nothing wild, but curvey and nice scenery if you like trees. Most of the road surfaces are in very good to great condition too. Like said, find one and follow it, you will be hard pressed to find a "bad" one.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
114 or 115 from Edom to Palestine is nice too. Nothing wild, but curvey and nice scenery if you like trees. Most of the road surfaces are in very good to great condition too. Like said, find one and follow it, you will be hard pressed to find a "bad" one.
I think you mean 314 and 315 Keith. And it is a very nice road.

I haven't gone wrong follow any of the FM roads around the area, except one. Going south out of Larue (located between Athens and Frankston) is FM 2588. About 5 miles from Larue, the road changes to CR 485 for about 3 miles and it is very rough.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I think you mean 314 and 315 Keith. And it is a very nice road.

I haven't gone wrong follow any of the FM roads around the area, except one. Going south out of Larue (located between Athens and Palestine) is FM 2588. About 5 miles from Larue, the road changes to CR 485 for about 3 miles and it is very rough.

You are right, my head is swimming today.
I never have seen your bike, if that is it in your pic, around. I'll try to get in touch when I'm home and see if we can have coffe or ride some day.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You are right, my head is swimming today.
I never have seen your bike, if that is it in your pic, around. I'll try to get in touch when I'm home and see if we can have coffe or ride some day.

Cheers.
Yes, the bike in the sig pic is mine, but all of the gray pieces are now black. I would like to get together sometime, but it will need to be during the week. You have a PM.

My head must be swimming too, because Larue is on 175 between Athens and Frankston, not Palestine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts