GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...getting the bike clean of all Alaskian bugs and road grim....

What type of rubbing compound / polish do people recommend...?

The painted parts on the wing look very dull from all the road grit and sand...thus would like to restore the finish...

I heard about a 3 part Novus product...does it really work...?

I have heard of Mothers products....do they work and which ones...?

I use Plexas most of the time, but this time the finish is too badly dulled for Plexus....

Looking for any recommendations.....

Thanks in advance....

P.S....I could not find it on this forum but someone a very long time ago posted how they cleaned their rims with 2000 grit paper and then used a product to clear coat the rims....does anyone know what the product was...I think it was something like "Clear Protectant"...not sure...my rims look like @%#$^ after the long trip to Alaska....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would recommend wizard's products. Depending on the shape the bike is in. They have turbo cut compound , finish cut , scratch remover and shine master. Those are listed coarse to fine. I always recommend starting with finest and if don't do what u want go to next coarseness. U will still need the finer one to finish after the coarser one. Be sure and wash and change pads between each step. They also have mist n shine, a good detailer between washes and to get bugs off. I don't leave home with out it. The shine master is a polish/sealant it will work on everything except raw plastic like door handles on cars that aren't painted. I use on windshield and chrome and all painted surfaces. As far as wheels , mine look like chrome but are factory. I started with 180 sand paper , went to 2500 sand paper and then started polishing . I started with turbo cut and went to finish cut , then I finished with a product called alumina 1. So it just depends time u want to spend and what u want to look like. U can do 2000 sand paper then to compounds or put a clear finish on them after sanding

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
just had a post about that.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Check out the Griots Garage products. They have some good videos on their site or on Youtube that explain the process. I highly recommend their polishes and waxes. They have a three inch random orbital buffer that works well on motorcycles. I really think that all you would need to do is use some of the number 3 machine polish with their buffer and then use their wax after that. Without seeing it, it's hard to tell. But I am sold on their products and method. You might even want to use a clay bar cleaner on it first.

http://www.youtube.com/user/griotsgarage?feature=results_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDuIgEP8QQ&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7aVGSZ2W4&feature=plcp

·
Registered
165 Posts
Haven't found any made in Poland yet....... Still looking:joke: Jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts