GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re Tyre heat:
I have fitted up some Metz 880’s on my Gl1800 and I went for a “scuff – off “ ride of about 40 klicks or so and stopped for a coffee. While there I had a look to see how much was left on the chicken strips. I rubbed my hand over the tyre and was surprised at the temperature of the tyre. It was very hot. I could hold my hand on it but it was quite hot. I have run these tyres on other bikes ( mid range cruiser ) and don’t remember them being quite so hot. The front was slightly hotter than the rear. Any thought on the heat, not the tyre choice. I was riding carefully as they were brand new and hadn’t put them under any real pressure as they were new tyres. PS over here in Kiwiland we don’t have concrete roads, they are coarse stone chips on tar, hence the tyre change as on a bit of damp/wet road it’s like riding through a Diesel spill on the oem’s.

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
Tires get hot. No worries if properly inflated. Most here seem to prefer the BStone tires. I am a Metzler guy and have never had issues with them:yes1:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The wing seems to roast the rear tire pretty good. Seems "normal" for this bike which is a good reason to watch the rear tire like a hawk and replace as soon as you see any uneven wear.

I saw an 8-9 lbs increase on the rear MT set at 41psi within 15 miles of starting. Air temps were 60F and I was running around 45mph. I had a passenger but the two of use together weigh less than 250lbs so it isn't like the bike was heavily loaded.

The front gained only half that (~4lbs) when run at 38lbs. I have noticed that the front tire will gain an extra pound or so just sitting in traffic. I'm guessing the radiator fans blowing the engine heat forward may by the cause. Haven't noticed such behavior on the rear.

Re Tyre heat:
I have fitted up some Metz 880’s on my Gl1800 and I went for a “scuff – off “ ride of about 40 klicks or so and stopped for a coffee. While there I had a look to see how much was left on the chicken strips. I rubbed my hand over the tyre and was surprised at the temperature of the tyre. It was very hot. I could hold my hand on it but it was quite hot. I have run these tyres on other bikes ( mid range cruiser ) and don’t remember them being quite so hot. The front was slightly hotter than the rear. Any thought on the heat, not the tyre choice. I was riding carefully as they were brand new and hadn’t put them under any real pressure as they were new tyres. PS over here in Kiwiland we don’t have concrete roads, they are coarse stone chips on tar, hence the tyre change as on a bit of damp/wet road it’s like riding through a Diesel spill on the oem’s.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I could hold my hand on it but it was quite hot.
For most people, the threshold for "uncomfortably hot" is around 130 degrees F, so your tire was likely a bit less than that. My TPMS routinely shows tire temperatures of 150 degrees F in hot weather during normal operations, so your tires are not getting unusually hot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts