GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I picked up my first 1500 in on open U-Haul trailer. I can't state any facts about the Motorcycle trailer, but the open trailer I used worked great. I used 6 bindings and criss crossed. Got home fine.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That trailer's Junk!! Good for a smaller bike, but I would go for the 9X5 trailer. Just did close to 1500 miles with a wing on one, and it was excellent. Trust me, you'll be happy with the 9X5.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hauled my Voyager 12 back from Toledo a few years back when the fuel pump quit on the way to Cabella's. About 150 miles. Worked great for me. Only problem I had was they did not offer 1 way rental at that time, so had to take trailer all the way back.

P

·
0 Posts
Hey EagleEye,

I used the 9x5 to get to Vegas because it was the smallest that fit with enough room so you can get to it to tie it down and still have upper end support. The smaller trailer just seemed too open for the ties.

Pat

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have used this trailer several times with the GL1800 & my old Venture.....it works great.

The ramp folds up into 2 different positions to allow room for the length of the wing. The Venture fit with the ramp fully closed, the wing needed the ramp in the second position to allow plenty of room.

The speed limit on their ad says 45 mph, I pulled at 70 all day with no problem.

It tracks really well & is very stable.

Easy load up as well.

They offer extra insurance for all of the trailer contents & I opted for that.

Renting the trailer works for me, as I don't want to store one that I would own personally when not using it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think it would work fine.

Myself, I have used the 5 x 9 ramp trailer as that is more enclosed and has six tie down points. With this ramp trailer, you can also go one way. The motorcycle trailer can only be used locally. However, the trailer is heavy...1200lbs, add that to the bike and you have over 2k pounds you are hauling...which I guess is fine for a truck or a midsized suv. However, I was using my Lumina, lol.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I have a trailer that is the same length.I hauled my wrecked 02 home from Redding.It worked fine with the tailgate removed.If the tailgate on the Uhaul folds out of that way as Mike says then you will be fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's a good trailer for the Wing. I used on of them to haul my 1500 for 500 miles with no problems. The stator burned out, stranding me this far from home with no Honda dealer near. But anyway, yes it is reliable for use as a Goldwing hauler.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mike Byerly said:
I
The ramp folds up into 2 different positions to allow room for the length of the wing. The Venture fit with the ramp fully closed, the wing needed the ramp in the second position to allow plenty of room. Mike
This is the secret to this trailer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Make sure you tie the bike down by the frame and forks, and not the back crash bars. They come off.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Won't fit in the MC trailer unless it has the two different ramp latch - where you can lean the ramp back away from the trunk.

Use the VTX1800C for an example: this bike fits well in the U-Haul trailer but doesn't have much clearance. Here is the same bike on my 5x8 flat bed, then the same flat bed with the Pingle moved forward 6 inches and still not enough clearance for the GW trunk.

Get the UHaul 5x9 open trailer, make sure you don't drag the crankcase when riding up the ramp, and have plenty of tie-down straps. If you've got a Condor or other wheel chock too?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
You'd be better off with their 5x9 with ramp ... it has tie downs built into the floor where you need them ... and the bike rolls right on.

It also has real (read "bigger") wheels.

I brought my wing home on the 5x9 U-Haul (400 miles) and it didn't move an inch ... was doing 75-80 most of the time...

more info here:
http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?e ... railer-5x9

Dennis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts