GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to inspect the u joint? I am feeling a vibration upon deceleration and suspect it could be the drive shaft u joint. It happens when going in a straight line and I let off the throttle. It stops when I accelerate again. 2005 model with almost 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You have to remove the final drive and then the driveshaft. It is not too big of a job.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to remove the final drive and then the driveshaft. It is not too big of a job.
I was told that once you get the final drive out you can get the drive shaft out with a pair of needle-nose ViceGrips. How hard is it to put back in? It is difficult to get the splines lined up?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I was told that once you get the final drive out you can get the drive shaft out with a pair of needle-nose ViceGrips. How hard is it to put back in? It is difficult to get the splines lined up?
The vicegrips should work. When I put the driveshaft back in, I had the transmission in gear. This allows you to feel that the forward splines are engaged. There is a post about final drive change with pictures on the HOW TO subforum.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just changed mine when I did my final drive change at 115k the drive and joint still looked new. I changed it only
because I had a new drive shaft sitting around. but who knows it could be the joint.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
The vicegrips should work. When I put the driveshaft back in, I had the transmission in gear. This allows you to feel that the forward splines are engaged. There is a post about final drive change with pictures on the HOW TO subforum.
Anything there about sliding the drive-shaft in too? Sorry, too lazy to look if it's not there.
To change the final-drive, it's simple enough to do without the video.
thecruiser

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Could be your final drive going bad too. Mine did that about 3 weeks ago. Let off the throttle and was getting a terrible noise/vibration.

Another thing you could check is your tires. I had a rear tire delaminate and got a big air bubble in the tread. Coming off the interstate when I was decelerating the bike got a terrible vibration. Felt like it was the front end. Went away when I accelerated. There again on deceleration. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be your final drive going bad too. Mine did that about 3 weeks ago. Let off the throttle and was getting a terrible noise/vibration.

Another thing you could check is your tires. I had a rear tire delaminate and got a big air bubble in the tread. Coming off the interstate when I was decelerating the bike got a terrible vibration. Felt like it was the front end. Went away when I accelerated. There again on deceleration. Just a thought.
My rear tire is brand new (G704 Bridgestone) and my front (G709 Bridgestone) has a few thousand miles on it with no obvious signs of cupping. But I will take a closer look at them.

Tonight I rode home from a meeting about 12-15 miles from my house. I paid very close attention for any unusual vibrations on deceleration. I tried easing off the throttle and then I tried closing the throttle quickly. I did this every 10 miles per hour from 30 mph all the way up to 90 mph and I never felt the vibrations that I felt on Sunday's ride. I will pay closer attention to the conditions the next time I feel them. I'm stumped now. Maybe I was just hallucinating. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts