GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in Indiana and I'm thinking about traveling to the Blue Ridge Parkway ( for our third visit) by crossing Ohio on highway 36 to Uhrichesville, then following U.S 250 from there all the way to Waynesboro, Virginia to get on the BRP. Somebody on this board e-mailed me that 250 was pretty cool. After studying it some it looks GREAT ... even challenging.

How about U.S.250 ... restaurants ... motels ... must see places ???:shrug:

·
Registered
600 Posts
250 at uhichesville is about where it gets curvey.

When you get to Bridgeport, OH pickup Ohio RT 7 South a little way (less than 2miles) then pick-up I470 east. Dont worry you wont be on it long. You will go over the Ohio River go to the top of the first hill ( a little over2 miles ) take that exit and follow the WV RT88 south signs then follow RT88 all the way to RT 250 make the left and you will be right on track again.

Following RT 250 from Bridgeport, OH to Moundsville, WV is mostly 4 lane then thru Moundsville.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you give me an idea of when, we could meet up and ride some of 250.
I live in Wheeling, WV ( Right across the river from Bridgeport, OH )

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Good choice. 250 is my WV favorite ride. The best parts are Wheeling to Fairmont and also Huttonsville across the Mon national forest to Va. Those two parts can be a real work out and the second part is also beautiful. Be careful and expect to see a lot of critters on the road. There also tends to be gravel in curves. May even see rock slides or trees down. Although I have been working in Huttonsville lately I have not run 250 much this year so can't give a road report. Expect to find a little bit of everything as you cross the state. By the way the speed limit on most of the road is 55. If you can average that between Wheeling and Fairmont you are a better rider than I.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We ride slow & easy for sight-seeing and relaxation ... not in a "spirited" way ... I don't need an adrenalin rush ... :shrug:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep, great road. Plenty of fun curves, scenic, and little traffic. I think you'll enjoy it a lot. You might want to try (or at least stop by) the Highland Inn in Monterey, VA. A charming place that's been around since 1904. Motorcycle-friendly, too. The local BMW club that I belong to has held a couple of Fall get-togethers there.

http://www.highland-inn.com/

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
US 250 from the WV border to Staunton, VA (pronounced Stanton) is very nice riding, and, yes, challenging as you go over a couple of mountain ranges. Cages might try to push you up the mountains. Pay em no mind.

From there to BRP is city/suburban riding until you go up Afton Mtn to the parkway/Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nice restaurant at the 220 250 junction in Monterey, Va. It's a nice ride. Sometimes early in the AM the top of the mountain near the BRP entrance is covered in thick fog.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
US 250 from the WV border to Staunton, VA (pronounced Stanton) is very nice riding, and, yes, challenging as you go over a couple of mountain ranges. Cages might try to push you up the mountains. Pay em no mind.

From there to BRP is city/suburban riding until you go up Afton Mtn to the parkway/Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park.
And most of the pavement is in pristine condition!!

It might be my new favorite stretch of road.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My favorite ride, northern Ind to WV then 250 to waynesburo south on the blue ridge down to smokymountain park do the dragon west and back east then do the cheraloa skyway over to Tenn. 70 west across Tenn then north on 127 back home. A good 6 day ride everyone should do every year at least once. While you are there you can take 28 to the dragon then ride it south 100 miles to franklin and back a good ride.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From our viewpoint here in Indiana TYGART LAKE LODGE in West Virginia looks like a great place to spend the night the first night out ... about 150 miles south of UHRICHSVILLE, OHIO and about eight hours from home ...
... anybody familiar with the place ??? Looks great on-line ... about $87 a room with tax ... :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts