GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yeah, that .4% is really important.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'm all in for an electric Goldwing when it is Iron Butt Rally capable. Any idea if we will get to that point and when?

Reactions: goldwing fan

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would take any claim made by the UK government (or any government come to that) that extends 14 years into the future with a huge pinch of salt. This guy we have in charge now must be dizzy with the amount of u turns he's done recently.

·
Registered
2021 6sp non tour
73 Posts
I think it could be sooner than that. Whether you agree or not there does seem to be more extreme weather being reported all over the globe and if this continues year upon year then public opinion might sway things towards a harder line on petrol/Diesel engines generally. I never thought I would ever want an electric car, I mean ever, but I am actually coming around to the idea. If they get the infrastructure right so I can realistically do a 300 mile trip without too much faffing about then I’d do it. Until then my turbo diesel estate will hopefully last a good while longer and yes OP I did get my GW with one eye on the fact this could well be my last ever petrol engined bike.

I also think the values of classic cars will soon start to drop and once it does the market will tumble. Who’s going to want £100,000 tied up in an E type Jag in the garage when there’s a possibility you can’t get petrol? An object is only worth what someone will pay for it, regardless of what you paid.

A bit like when coal fired steam trains became obsolete virtually overnight in the early 1960’s when the Government closed thousands of miles of track and it all went diesel. Bit more complicated than that, but that was the gist. Classic cars and bikes will become museum pieces. From a purely selfish point of view I think we have been lucky enough to be born and live through the best years of cars/motorbikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If they get the infrastructure right so I can realistically do a 300 mile trip without too much faffing about then I’d do it.
That might work for Europe, but it's going to have to be a LOT better than that for me to switch, 300 miles wouldn't even take me out of my home state traveling west!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kinda glad today: I'm an old codger and I don't have to worry or fuss about this as I'll be long gone by the time this stuff becomes an issue. Seems that our younger generation, being largely progressive, wants to see change. Sooner or later, they're going to get what they want. All electric vehicles? There's a lot to be said on both sides of this fence, both pro and con. Without saying much about either, I'm just going to enjoy every minute on my Gold Wing and be thankful that big changes like this take time: my riding days will only be numbered by my health and not by my government.

·
Registered
2021 6sp non tour
73 Posts
That might work for Europe, but it's going to have to be a LOT better than that for me to switch, 300 miles wouldn't even take me out of my home state traveling west!
LOL. Where I live on the very east side of England I’m only a few miles from the North Sea and it’s only about 150 miles (as the crow flies) to drive west, literally to the other side of the Country ((Irish Sea) so I do appreciate your viewpoint on all this! This is another reason why stock seats are rarely that big of an issue here……

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL. Where I live on the very east side of England I’m only a few miles from the North Sea and it’s only about 150 miles (as the crow flies) to drive west, literally to the other side of the Country ((Irish Sea) so I do appreciate your viewpoint on all this! This is another reason why stock seats are rarely that big of an issue here……
LOL. That trip would be a lot longer if you were further south and going from Margate to Penzance

·
Vendor
19,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Everyone on this forum who's in the UK has 14 years to buy their last new Goldwing:

UK gov confirms BAN on new petrol motorcycle sales from 2035 - UK Clubsport
Who cares? Not likely the current group of Gold Wing owners.

Let's. . . just guessing, the current age of Wing owners are (ball-parking) 55-65 years old. If this ban actually comes into effect in 2035, the current owners will be 69-79 years old.

They're only proposing a ban on new gasoline motorcycle sales, so there will be a grandfather phase to allow the gasoline powered motorcycles currently legal and registered to continue operating.

Let's say the grandfather phase will conservatively be 10 years. That makes the current owners 79-89 years old when their beloved gasoline powered Wings will be forced off the road in 2045. By then, many of that group will have died or given up riding.

The oldsters who are still alive and going strong in 2045 will be happily riding whatever newer, better, and more fun technology that will be powering Gold Wings.

And the folks who bought the New Tecnology Wings that will likely be sold side-by-side with the old, gasoline-powered "Classic" Gold Wings just for the "retro" crowd will all be wondering why anybody would ride such low tech, slow, heavy, inefficient touring motorcycles.

Like I said, banning the sale of gasoline powered motorcycles by 2035, who cares?

Tim

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just remember... electricity is usually produced from coal, oil, natural gas, and Nuclear but everyone wants the remaining nukes to shutdown and that produces no gases... then you have solar and wind... which CANNOT PRODUCE ENOUGH POWER for the normal demand on the grid. Wind is high maintenance and never makes a profit unless heavily subsidized by you the taxpayer! Now you want to add the extra demand of replacing your fuel in your auto, truck, and bike? LED bulbs and more efficient machines and appliances has reduced demand but not enough. Good luck. It is a nice pipe dream.
This is coming from a perspective of a person who runs a nuclear reactor at a nuke plant and also has solar on his roof. Also, what are you going to do with all those batteries that are moving to Lithium? Lot's of mining and bad stuff for the environment to make them and now what is going to happen to them when they are done? Lot's of problems that aren't discussed just the good talking points.
And good luck thumbing your way to a charging station so you can get a gallon of electricity because you ran out 10 miles shy of the charging station!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
This is soooo dumb. MC in total burn nothing compared to the trucks and cars. Either the electric MC market will explode or the used market will. I know where I'm going tonplace my bets! How about not selling petrol cars instead...

Some automobile manufacturers have already announced their intentions to stop selling petroleum powered automobiles by that time. This was just to clean up that segment that had not. I once read that a motorcycle pollutes at a rate of 10x of that of a car per mile traveled. And simple engines such as those used for lawn care, even more. They do account for a small percentage of fuel consumed, but a larger percentage of total pollution. Its obvious that a lot of people in our age group dont care what will be happening 25-40 years from now. But many people of voting age (18) do. We really cant blame them for trying to insure a sustainable planet for thier and their kids future.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Some automobile manufacturers have already announced their intentions to stop selling petroleum powered automobiles by that time. This was just to clean up that segment that had not. I once read that a motorcycle pollutes at a rate of 10x of that of a car per mile traveled. And simple engines such as those used for lawn care, even more. They do account for a small percentage of fuel consumed, but a larger percentage of total pollution. Its obvious that a lot of people in our age group dont care what will be happening 25-40 years from now. But many people of voting age (18) do. We really cant blame them for trying to insure a sustainable planet for thier and their kids future.
I'd say that's old 2 cycles and trail bikes. All my road bikes are catalytic bikes that meet all emissions. But you may have missed the point. You Don't have enough capacity from alternative power sources so you'll have to have nukes for no emissions or you are just doing a feel good move and moving the emissions from you to the power plants. There will still be emissions...just not directly from you. I saw an electric car with the license plate "MyNoCO2" I started laughing inside of my helmet. This was in Pennsylvania where much of their electricity comes from Natural Gas! That produces CO2 when you burn it to make electricity to charge the car.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I'd say that's old 2 cycles and trail bikes. All my road bikes are catalytic bikes that meet all emissions. But you may have missed the point. You Don't have enough capacity from alternative power sources so you'll have to have nukes for no emissions or you are just doing a feel good move and moving the emissions from you to the power plants. There will still be emissions...just not directly from you. I saw an electric car with the license plate "MyNoCO2" I started laughing inside of my helmet. This was in Pennsylvania where much of their electricity comes from Natural Gas! That produces CO2 when you burn it to make electricity to charge the car.

It's TRUE that motorcycles has to meet emissions standards, but they are not as stringent as those required by automobiles. I also acknowledge that electricity is only as clean as the source producing it, but in theory it is easier to monitor thousands of sources producing the electricity than it is to monitor tens of millions of tail pipes.

BTW in the beginning there was not enough gasoline to power all of the cars projected to be on the road. Continued exploration for new sources was necessary. Electricity will be no different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts