GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering riding the MTF's Ultimate Coast to Coast next June (2012). Key West to Deadhorse, AK.

Anyone here ever ridden the "haul road"? My only hesitation is this stretch of 450 miles of gravel that I have heard some much about.

Should I get a car tire on rear first?

How do you learn to handle such a big machine on gravel?

Anyone interested in the UCC ride in June 2012?

My plan would be to do a regular 50cc (LA -> JAX), ride on to Key West and start.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tempting, very tempting. I have wanted to do the Ultimate Coast to Coast since I first read about it. It would be a 12,000 mile round trip for me and getting that much time off would be a challenge. On the surface riding 5500 miles in 30 days sounds easy, but the weather and that 450 miles of gravel does change the rules a bit.

One of the issues with "haul road" would be rain/mud. With that in mind you may want to consider going in July as it typically has "less" rain.

I run a car tire and love it but I think it would be a mixed blessing on this kind of trip. It would handle a gravel road in good condition better but when you are forced to ride through rut's in the mud it would have a tendency to want to flip the bike on its side.

Anyway, now I have something fun to consider while on my way to work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I rode it 1997... Went from MN to Produe Bay on a Yamaha GTS1000. The GTS is a tall heavy bike. If you have significant experience riding off-road or on gravel, and take your time, you'll be fine on a Goldwing... That being said, a couple of my persoanl observations:

-The class-5 gravel on the Dalton is a much larger aggregate than I was use to.

-On-comming large trucks tend to launch large aggregate projectiles (golf ball size) your way due to their large-lug tires.

-On-comming large trucks do not slow down for you and drive mostly down the middle of the road.

-If the weather and/or road is wet, it is rather unpleasant.

-You will likely get cold along the way... Even with "gear" and even in the Summer. And this is coming from a Minnesotan!

-Your bike will likely never look as good as it did before riding the Dalton.

-I've never seen so many vehicles with flats!... I was lucky.

-It is a motorcycle ride of a lifetime road!

·
Registered
175 Posts
just do it and enjoy..on those bad roads just take your time...everyone has their own horror stories but its really not bad. ONLY the mosquitoes :eek:4:

I did the ride on June 11 from Tampa, FL to as far north as Coldfoot and as far south to Seward, Alaska - Logged 11,250 miles in 21 days - great ride!!

and I'd do it again :thumbup:

·
Banned
226 Posts
I lived in Alaska for 17 yrs. Unless you're hell bent on going up the haul road. I'd pass on that part of the trip. There's nothing up there to see or do. (Like Texas) It is just a HAUL road for the oil industry and more than likely you will sustain damage and or grief. You could spend that time exploring the Kenai Peninsula. (Not anything like Texas) :thumbup: Take the Old Sterling Hwy From Anchorage to Homer. I guarantee you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did the trip back in June and it was the trip of a life time. The haul road is not that bad. I did run about 200 miles in a red/orange slurry while riding in the rain. It was a mess..... I found the trucks very respectfull and would slow to 20-25 mph to pass. I would simply slow and get to the far right and give them plenty of room. There was some grading and the loose gravel was a little tricky. But the sections are short. They also use dust control on the newly graded sections and a bit greasy.

Your bike may never be the same and will take some time to clean it up if you get in the rain. I would make sure you have a fender extender and also put a less than perfect lower cowl on. When you get home just put your nice one back on after the haul road.

The view's are amazing, and your mindset will never be the same. Here's a few pic's and I can't wait to go back...

Ride safe and enjoy....

Smitty

Atigun pass

A little mud on my GSA...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Now that I am home from work and have taken the time to google the MTF's version of the UCC I would like to retract my "going in July" comment. I like the idea of having a built-in witness. My guess is some of the folks here do not understand that while this is a MTF sponsored ride it is sanctioned by the IBA and Mike Kneebone will not tolerate anyone just "skipping" a part of the ride that is difficult. Difficult really is the point and the ride is Key West, FL to Deadhorse, AK. Yep, I am still interested.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I am seriously considering riding the MTF's Ultimate Coast to Coast next June (2012). Key West to Deadhorse, AK.

Anyone here ever ridden the "haul road"? My only hesitation is this stretch of 450 miles of gravel that I have heard some much about.

Should I get a car tire on rear first?

How do you learn to handle such a big machine on gravel?

Anyone interested in the UCC ride in June 2012?

My plan would be to do a regular 50cc (LA -> JAX), ride on to Key West and start.
Stop in Texas there are quite a few of us that would love to meet up with you. Don't forget to bring Paddy with you.
Kurt :nojoke:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ran UCC last year late June, early July on my 02 Wing with car tire rear and BT-45 front. All went better than I thought it would. Believe the car tire was helpful in the dirt/gravel.
Dirt/gravel distance is probably closer to 350 miles than 450. Doesn't mean much if there is rain though. Rain is number one cause for not making it. Know of riders on better suited bikes than a Wing that fail to make Prudhoe Bay.

As was suggested to me, it would be a good idea to get out on a few dirt/gravel roads to ride on for practice.
I usually carry a lot of stuff while riding. Before heading out from Fairbanks I offloaded a lot of things I wouldn't need on the way to Prudhoe Bay and back to lighten the bike.
Ride easily doable on a Wing without rain. Where road is being watered down for maintenance, just take it easy and everything should be fine.
Hope to hear about a successful trip.

RiderUSA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts