GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend on the National Geographic channel the showcased the HD plant....
Oh my god.. you should have heard the announcer...and I quote...
Describing the V-rod..
"The ULTIMATE motorcycle.. built at the ULTIMATE factory..."

Oh just GAG me!!!!!!
Quote......
"a bike more powerful... more technologically advanced then anything Harley has built before...."

WELL DUH.....

I had to chuckle..
They kept referencing it to other HD models...
The 1st liquid cooled, fuel injected engine,
Like this was some great leap in motorcycle technology.....
too bad they didnt say everyone else has been doing this for YEARS...
TOOOO FUNNY

But it was interesting how the vrod is made... LOTS of robotics... and most if not all of the bike is fabed in the HD plant.
You thiught the GW frame was complex....
The Vrod frame is made of 16, yes 16 different pieces...

WOW

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Played again 6:00 pm Wednesday if interested...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I watched it too. Good show and I was impressed at the modern technology in their factory. It's a shame they don't use it on bikes other than the V-Rod. HD....the best 1940 technology that money can buy today. :a13:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I saw it. Very impressive operation but the way the announcer described everything I thought I was watching an infomercial.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
EVERYTHING on that program is the "ULTIMATE".. Some of the stuff actually is, though.. Wish they'd do the wing factory.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Regardless of your opinion of HD, I recommend you visit their assembly plant in York Pa. They also have a museum on the grounds.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
They did, I watched it two or three years ago. Also quite impressive.

joe_flash said:
EVERYTHING on that program is the "ULTIMATE".. Some of the stuff actually is, though.. Wish they'd do the wing factory.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I thought it was very interesting... if you have never ridden a V-rod..
don't knock it.. its a great handling bike..

one more interesting fact that was brought up ... HOG has over 1 million members.. it seems a bunch of folks likes Harley Davidson motorcycles..

cosmic

·
Registered
73 Posts
The History Channel did a show last year or so at the Goldwing factory that showed how the 1800 was built. Kind of like this Harley show.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have visited the HD factory in York twice. I found it very interesting both times. I made my first trip in '91. The best part was a large table with a bunch of women sitting around it gabbing and lacing/truing wheels. They were whipping through them like nothing and there were big stacks of wheels forming behind each seat. It takes me forever to get a wheel laced correctly, and I normally have to re-do it a few times, the next time I am able to true one will be the first. (LOL) Not sure what 1940's technology is being referenced by some posters, unless you are referencing the spring forks on some models. Old design maybe, but believe me they don't ride at all like the old ones. Just a cosmetic opion for those that want it. I haven't seen any jap companies with them yet, but probably only a matter of time. They seem to have copied everything else Harley.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Analysttom said:
I have visited the HD factory in York twice. I found it very interesting both times. I made my first trip in '91. The best part was a large table with a bunch of women sitting around it gabbing and lacing/truing wheels. They were whipping through them like nothing and there were big stacks of wheels forming behind each seat. It takes me forever to get a wheel laced correctly, and I normally have to re-do it a few times, the next time I am able to true one will be the first. (LOL) Not sure what 1940's technology is being referenced by some posters, unless you are referencing the spring forks on some models. Old design maybe, but believe me they don't ride at all like the old ones. Just a cosmetic opion for those that want it. I haven't seen any jap companies with them yet, but probably only a matter of time. They seem to have copied everything else Harley.
Gosh don't you know you gonna get in trouble now...taking up for Harley on here.... I do agree nuthing I saw in that documentary was 40's technology... its kinda funny some folks say Harley is 40's technology ... but Honda has copied almost everything Harley has built... :?

cosmic

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cosmic
Can you make a list of what Honda has copied from HD. I'd be real interested in seeing that list.
I certianly have nothing against HD but I don't find them any better than most other bikes on the road today. Personally in the cruiser dept, I'd go for a Yamaha rather than a HD but not because its "better". But because I really like some of their models. AFTER my Wing of course. Every guy has to drive what he likes and it doesn't matter what the brand is. But the HD hype does get a overdone which isn't the bike's fault but it does happen quite often. What is more of a wonder is how many people buy into hype of any kind without doing any research on the subject. It happens in all fields too but it does make the average person look like they are quite easily lead by the nose.
Kevin

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
As far as coy goes, I think that Kaw, Yam. Suz, and even Honda has tried is some way to copy the designs and the sounds of the Harley.. Just a thought...

Evidence in picture of my Nomad... Even the add-ons make it look more like a Harley..

If anybody ever builds a prettier bike than the Harley Ultra Classic, it will not be Honda...

Ross

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
If anybody ever builds a prettier bike than the Harley Ultra Classic, it will not be Honda...
It just goes to show that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I find nothing appealing about the looks of any of Harley's 40s retro bikes. To me just about every mfr makes bikes that are better looking than any Harley. It is cool seeing a 57 Chevy Belair going down the road too, but I wouldn't want a NEW car that looked like that.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
kgilbri said:
Cosmic
Can you make a list of what Honda has copied from HD. I'd be real interested in seeing that list.
I certianly have nothing against HD but I don't find them any better than most other bikes on the road today. Personally in the cruiser dept, I'd go for a Yamaha rather than a HD but not because its "better". But because I really like some of their models. AFTER my Wing of course. Every guy has to drive what he likes and it doesn't matter what the brand is. But the HD hype does get a overdone which isn't the bike's fault but it does happen quite often. What is more of a wonder is how many people buy into hype of any kind without doing any research on the subject. It happens in all fields too but it does make the average person look like they are quite easily lead by the nose.
Kevin
Kevin.. take a look at the Honda Shadow.. that bike is a dead ringer of a Harley.. and Honda copied the V-twin on lots of their bikes.. just look around a bit .. you might be suprised..

cosmic

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
cosmic, I think you are right to an extent. Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki all make retro style cruiser bikes to try and capture some of that nostalgia craze that people seem to be hung up on. That is just smart business whenever you are trying to expand your lineup. However, it would be very nearsighted to think that these manufacturers are making bikes that are similar in appearance to a Harley because they think they have better designs. In reality, the Shadow looks similar to many other bikes that were popular in the 50s, not just harley. People just think that Honda is copying them because Harley still builds bikes with 50s styling.

BTW, besides a couple of similarities in fender design, I don't think the Shadow really has much in common with any Harley, other than the fact that it is a retro style cruiser. For blatant copying, look at the Kaw Nomad. It is a very good reproduction of an old Indian. Yamaha tried to copy the Harley sound, which prompted Harley to sue Yamaha. Harley even tried to patent the sound, which was ultimately turned down.

They say that copying is the most sincere form of flattery. I hope Harley guys are not naive enough to believe that in this case. They just want Harley's customers.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Art H. said:
Regardless of your opinion of HD, I recommend you visit their assembly plant in York Pa. They also have a museum on the grounds.
Of course, you might have to cross a picket line to get there now......

The news talking head said they were striking because of increased health costs. I find this amazingly funny coming from people who practice the "healthy" Hardley lifestyle.

8)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I don't quite understand all of the talk about a V-twin engine being something that HD originated. I seem to remember a V-twin on an air compressor that my grandfather had on the old family farm. It looked like it had been in place forever even back then. While I can't be sure, I sincerely doubt it was an HD.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts