GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:arrow: :?: :arrow: :?: :arrow: :?: :arrow: Has anyone considered Onstar type service as a navigational guidance system for their Wing?

I would think you could talk to Onstar through the helmet intercom. Anyhow, this service (as in practice in GM vehicles) works like having your own GPS except you don’t have the distractions of fiddling with the unit yourself. You tell the Onstar automated rep on the phone where you want to go and you get back spoken turn by turn directions. Cost of the elite service is about $400/year. But it is always up to date, no downloads needed and you can even make reservations, emergency service and all the other cool features that come with the Onstar GPS tracking of your vehicle.

:idea: Just a thought for you techie gurus to hurry up and get this developed…. http://www.buick.com/turnbyturnhtd/

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh Brother

thats what I need...another woman telling me where to go.......j/k honey....ouch...stop that....ok, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From Wikipedia:
It is also currently available on the Acura RL and MDX. Other manufacturers to offer Onstar in the past include Audi, Subaru and Volkswagen. The service is available for all vehicles that have the factory-installed OnStar hardware.
MotherHonda, are you listening?
Lewis, can you make something to make it work on the Wing?

·
Registered
918 Posts
That only makes sense if all you are worried about is going from point A to B. People ask me all the time about getting a GPS and is it easy to use. I tell them if all you want to do is go to A to B thats a piece of cake.

Now if you want to go "your" way through the backroads then that is a whole different story as you have to make the GPS go where you want to go, not the way it wants to go. I don't think you are going to be able to get Onstar to go they way you want to go.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Could we? Sure. Would it be cost effective given the number of folks that would sign on? I think thats your problem. There is no "universal" On-star box that could be adapted. They operate off Can-bus electrical design and that drives the price way up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
topster said:
Had On Star in my Monti Carlo SS Dale Ernheart edition. Well worth the money IMHO. If they had it for the Wing, I would get it in a minute. :D
The only instructions the Dale Ernheart GPS gives are 'Go Fast! - Turn Left!' :wink:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can hear the On-Star commercials now. Instead of them unlocking people cars doors, someone would want their Goldwing remote start system turned on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
And riding instructions to Big Bone Lick... :shock:
lol. That's an actual sign I pass on I-75, just south of Cincy. After years of passing it with a little chuckle and a nudge to the wife, I had to take a picture of it.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Chipmunky said:
topster said:
Had On Star in my Monti Carlo SS Dale Ernheart edition. Well worth the money IMHO. If they had it for the Wing, I would get it in a minute. :D
The only instructions the Dale Ernheart GPS gives are 'Go Fast! - Turn Left!' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lewis/EC wrote:
And riding instructions to Big Bone Lick...

:22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes: :22yikes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts