GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5' 10" tall. I have a 30" inseam and weigh approximately 196 lbs.

I don't have a particular problem with the reach to the ground with the stock GL1800 (2006) Goldwing saddle, but the hip wings cause me to have to overcome them in an unnatural and uncomfortable position when I put my feet down, yet have the opposite effect while riding, giving me cramps by pushing my hips together.

I also have a tendency to slide slightly forward on the saddle, enough to feel pressure on the peritoneum area of my crotch and I can't ride long distances without constant adjustments and discomfort.

A guy I met on a ride had a brand new Lowrider saddle which when I sat on it felt as though all of the above problems would have been solved for me, except the seat area was as hard as a board. A call to Ultimate confirmed my suspicions, the Lowrider has one inch less foam than the Midrider. I ordered the Midrider with the driver's backrest and the "ride-in-the-rain" seat cover. Since Ultimate feels the plastic liner that Honda puts under the cover and over the foam is too hot, they omit it, which subjects the seat to water damage, ergo, the cover.

While the seat cost a premium, it will be well worth it if the hip cramps go away and the pressure in the crotch. Here's keeping my fingers crossed :!:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Its a good seat. Wisht Id know your were in the market. I have a mid-rider, but at 6 ft 4 its not nearly as good a fit.. :) Gonna get a diamond one of these days when Im rich again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joe_flash said:
Its a good seat. Wisht Id know your were in the market. I have a mid-rider, but at 6 ft 4 its not nearly as good a fit.. :) Gonna get a diamond one of these days when Im rich again.
Wish I had known it as well Joe....I probably should have advertised that I wanted one before buying! By the way, is the seat soft enough :?:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm 5' 9" tall, have a 30" inseam and weigh approximately 195 lbs. Put a Mid Rider on this past spring, put approx 8000 miles on it this year and still love it. In fact the day after I installed it, left for a 2 week 2700 mile vacation in Nova Scotia, had no break-in issues with it. I had a Travelcade, nice seat, but the Ultimate is far superior.
Kevin

S

·
0 Posts
Joe what is it about the midrider seat you don't like and makes you want to go with a Diamond instead ?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm 6'4 and weigh almost as much as an nfl lineman.. (different compositin, though)..

I wanted a seat with cush to it, and my last diamond, while comfortable enough , had no cush.

So I originally bought the big boy, which was tall enough and far enough back, but so narrow that my thighs had no support.. And I'm not THAT wide.. I have no butt to speak of, so it quickly became uncomfortalbe to ride on.

The mid-rider, for reason unknown to me, is actualy plenty wide.. I took it out on a 6-7 hour ride when I got it and had no pain at all at thend end of it. 6000 miles later, it's still a comfortable seat for long periods, but is just too low for my taste.. I bought a gel pad for it, but I really want a set that fits my behind, instead of futzing with the cushion.. (The gel pad is VERY good, BTW...) So I'm probably at some point going back to a diamond to get the custom setup and get myself up to a good riding height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts