GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone measured their Ultimate Tallboy seat compared to the stock seat. I have a 21 Tour, and just received my Tallboy seat yesterday. I installed and went for a ride and while nice, I did not feel a large difference in seating position. The Ultimate website says that the Tallboy sets the ride 1 1/2" back compared to the stock seat.

I've measure both and the difference is 1/2" to 3/4" not the 1 1/2" I was expecting. Has anyone else measured their seat.. Want to see if it's me or is this normal, or did I get a midseat. I do have an email to Ultimate but want to check others here as well.

Here are pics to show the measurements.

Ultimate seat 15 1/4"
Tire Automotive tire Guitar accessory Wood Synthetic rubber

Stock seat 14 1/2"
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Yea. I measured mine on my 2018. My measurements are buried in the attached thread.

I don’t think the seat length is as large as a difference as it was on my 2013. I was hoping for a little more room but can say my seat is supremely comfortable for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully I’ll hear from Ultimate tomorrow and get their story on the seat size.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is it possible that the nose of the seat where you are measuring from might be thicker? I would suggest measuring from some datum on the bike, for example the rear edge of the fuel cap. Install each seat, measure from that point, and then determine what the set back is.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I recently tried the TB seat and thought what you did, I rode it about 300 miles and sent it back, it didn't feel much different then the stock seat to me at least, the passenger backrest was just a bad fit too.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I measured mine from the rear edge of the fuel door. What really matters is where it’s sitting on the bike. I’m wondering if I reworked my front bolt tabs if there is wiggle room in the seat to slid it back further on the bike.

I’ll have to look at that sometime when I’m bored.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I measured mine from the rear edge of the fuel door. What really matters is where it’s sitting on the bike. I’m wondering if I reworked my front bolt tabs if there is wiggle room in the seat to slid it back further on the bike.

I’ll have to look at that sometime when I’m bored.
I believe the seat pan tabs (the bit that engages the posts on the grab handles) are closed at the front so that would limit aft travel. That and the rear edge of the seat would hit the base of the trunk.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Follow up to close this out. Spent some time on the phone today with Russell from Ultimate Seats. He was great and very patient reviewing the pictures I sent, then taking measurements of his stock 2018 seat and a Tallboy. We concluded that did receive a Tallboy seat. However, we had some slight differences in measurements between the 2021 stock seat and the 2018. Based on the various points we were both measuring from, my 2021 seat has the rider about 1/2 to 3/4” back from the 2018.

This was not just one point of measure. We spent 30min on the phone emailing pics back and forth and checked several dimensions. Like I said, he was very patient. End result is that the seat is heading back for a refund because the main reason for my purchase was to get that 1 1/2” of extra room.

I already had an early December build date at RDL, so that‘s where the stock seat will go to be modified for setting me back and adding an inch or so in height.

Opinion, if the seating position of the Ultimate Seat works for you, the quality and comfort is excellent and would recommend.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Russell is great to work with. My experience with Ultimate was good, but there were issues. My next seat will an be RDL, Ultimate is ok but as you found out they have issues. Lucky for me Russell was on my side and together we solved their problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts