GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just traded my 2013 for the 18 and wanting to put a new Ultimate Seat on the 18. Loved it on the 13. It sat me lower to the ground and had the perfect Driver's backrest! (must need for me) The Stock Backrest sits too far back and hits me too low. Other than those needs, It's always nice to customize the look as well.

Just curious, Have any of you installed the Ultimate, or any aftermarket seat on your 18 or 19? Sure would love to see some pictures, along with your thoughts!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Had the same problem with the stock seat. Solved it temporally using a simple 9/16th nut. Simply put it between the head of the adjustment bolt and the flat part it sat on. Hopefully the attached pics will offer a better explanation. You can still 'Fine tune' the backrest with the adjustment bolt. I put a small spot of superglue on the nut to keep it from accidentally slipping out if I moved the backrest too far forward. Also put an extra nut in the trunk 'just in case'.
I agree about the Ultimate also. Have had 3 on different bikes over the years but holding off until they get the heat to work with the factory switch. I think they have cost themselves quite a few sales with that remote control stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWESOME PICTURES and a temp fix remedy! Ironically, I tried this weekend to put the rest in that position and it would NOT stay! I will give your nut a try! temporally anyway!
Fortunately, I live just north of Daytona, and can ride down to Ultimate this Saturday to check out their options! And coincidentally I got a return call from them just about an hour ago! Told me all the options I wanted are still available,,,,, color stitching, goldwing emblem embroidery, animal textures (don't ask,,,it's a Florida thing),,, The only thing they stopped was the LowBoy seat Model. they said too many complaints of uncomfortably due to taking out the foam to ride the driver lower! Understand, but will miss and wanted to be a bit lower!
BUT, AND THAT'S A HEAVY BUT,,,,, you brought up a point; "THE HEATED CONNECTION", I FORGOT TO ASK ABOUT THAT!!!!!
ARE YOU SAYING THAT IS NOT OFFERED AT THIS TIME????:surprise:

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Ultimate has dropped the ball for 2018+ sales. Maybe they don't care about us.

prs

·
Registered
49 Posts
I emailed them a few weeks ago about utilizing the OEM seat heater controls, this was their reply,

"Not yet, but we do now have a positive test report after running on a
bike for some time.
We are planning on production seat build with the heat system in October
with several test units.
If this is positive we should have heated seats ready for November delivery.
Thanks
Des"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for telling me your experiences! Like I said above, I'm going to ride down to Daytona Saturday to their store in Destination. I will confront them with what Des' picked up! Wife and I are reluctant to get the seat if it doesn't work with bike's heat hookup! But if it is true about this November, I will certainly do it then! By living here in Florida, the heat for the cheeks isn't that often needed! That's why the comfort and style of the Ultimate may trump the necessity for heat!
In any event,,,, I thought this Saturday I would be making an order for a new custom seat,,,,but now with your shared hear-say,,,,,,I guess we's going just to look and learn!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I emailed them a few weeks ago about utilizing the OEM seat heater controls, this was their reply,

"Not yet, but we do now have a positive test report after running on a
bike for some time.
We are planning on production seat build with the heat system in October
with several test units.
If this is positive we should have heated seats ready for November delivery.
Thanks
Des"
That sounds encouraging though, thx!

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Substiture different time frames and that response is over a year old.

prs

Reactions: Kenichi and Drgsin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the same problem with the stock seat. Solved it temporally using a simple 9/16th nut. Simply put it between the head of the adjustment bolt and the flat part it sat on. Hopefully the attached pics will offer a better explanation. You can still 'Fine tune' the backrest with the adjustment bolt. I put a small spot of superglue on the nut to keep it from accidentally slipping out if I moved the backrest too far forward. Also put an extra nut in the trunk 'just in case'.
I agree about the Ultimate also. Have had 3 on different bikes over the years but holding off until they get the heat to work with the factory switch. I think they have cost themselves quite a few sales with that remote control stuff.
Brilliant !!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Corbin is a no-go for me. I added the Heli-Bars to make the bars closer & more comfortable for me. The Corbin moves me back again. Don't understand why this is std & not an option. Sure some folks wanna?be moved back but not most.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So far, I really like the Corbin a lot, I find it very comfy on long distances but wifey finds it a little more firm to her....had an Ultimate on my Indian, comfort was great but that idiotic remote heat controller was useless in my book. The Honda OEM azz burner just never cut it with me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just put a Corbin on my 2018 Tour DCT. Had one on our 07 GL1800 as well. Can ride a long time on these seats with no pain. I also like the Seating down in the bike as opposed to the OEM seat where you sit on top.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just put a Corbin on my 2018 Tour DCT. Had one on our 07 GL1800 as well. Can ride a long time on these seats with no pain. I also like the Seating down in the bike as opposed to the OEM seat where you sit on top.

Can I ask how tall you are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts